morte

Premium Subscriber
question 1 what brand of radio will last the longest
question 2 which bands are busy
question 3 what kind of antenna should i install
question 4 where do you buy antennas

canav844

Kind of like asking what will last longer a Ford or Chevy or Mopar? It's very hard to determine. I'd suggest looking where you want to talk and read up on that band, and see if you can find brand and model numbers that repeatedly get good reviews. Speaking of reviews, search a model # and eHam usually has doeens for you to read through.

All of them, really depends where you are though too. I know around me 2m 6m and 10m almost always have conversations going. Search google for HAM repeaters in your area and you should find several 2m/220/70cm repeaters, but check as this often varies by location.

One that is the proper size for your wavelength, as far as yagi, diploe, vertilce, loop, etc. that all depends on what you want to do with your radio and where you'll be putting your antenna.

Most vendors selling HAM radios will have antennas you can buy, many antennas have designs widely availible on the internet and there's books (often in stock at the local library too) that can provide instruction for building your own antenna.

Generally with the questions you've got I'd reccomend a mix of referring back to the technician handbook and netowrking wiht members of your local club, this will also let you see HAM radio in practice, which I understand as a hard thing to make sense of until you see and hear how it all comes together.

DirtyLarry

Kenwood (If you ask 3 other guys you might get 3 different answers)

Hard to say how things are where you are. I assume you meant the Tech bands. 2 meters is busiest around here. There are a lots of people on 10 when the band is open.

For 2 meter repeaters you would need a vertical antenna. You can build your own if you like. A quarter wave ground plane is easy to make and is the first antenna a lot of guys make. If interested try google if you can't find it lemme know and I'll find u a link. For 10 meter skip you can build a simple dipole or buy a vertical.

Gigaparts.com, HRO.com, any ham radio store where you would purchase an antenna.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.