question on tech exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

morte

Premium Subscriber
i am going to take a tech exam on august 2
if i don't pass my tech exam how soon can i go back and re take the exam

elk2370bruce

If you take the bullet, you can try again at the same session. If you are doing any of the on-line practice tests and hitting above the mid-80's, this should not be a problem for you. Come on, its not all that hard unless you totally choke and wimp out. Be postive and kep taking the on-line exams and you'll be on the air!

trace1

The Tech. test is actually very easy and as it has been said, if you've been taking the on-line practice test and passing those over and over then the real test shouldn't be a problem.

Right now I'm working on my upgrade to General and I'm ready to take the test. My wife is working on her Tech. and she is ready to take the test. My oldest son, 10 years old, is working on his Tech. and he needs a little more time and work but he is doing a great job too and will soon be ready to take his test.

You'll do fine!

k8tmk

As others have said, if you can pass the on-line tests (qrz, aa9pw, etc.), you should have no problem passing the real test. My wife took classes from the local club and tried several on-line practice tests each night.

She passed the Technician, General, and Extra Class tests on the first try. She did not have any prior technical knowledge, or even an interest in amateur radio for the first 38 years of our marriage (she just put up with my hobby). Her vanity callsign in W8ALK.

Now to get the 12-year old live-in granddaughter licensed!

Randy, K8TMK

DirtyLarry

That test is so easy that if you study and take the practice test you'd have to deliberately try to fail it. Six year old kids pass this test. It ain't hard. You'll pass it.

APTN

Practice

That test is so easy that if you study and take the practice test you'd have to deliberately try to fail it. Six year old kids pass this test. It ain't hard. You'll pass it.

If you can do well on the online practice tests, then you should do fine on the actual one.

K

kb0nly

No problem! You should pass it easy.

At a testing session a while back, i'm a VE, we had a guy take the Tech and he just missed it, not much studying to prepare for it, so he took it again and got it at the same session. Of course you have to pay twice, $14 per exam try.

I sat down and took my tech all those years ago with nothing more than a study book, no online practice exams and such, you guys have it made in the shade to pass it now! Then i took my General with a bit of studying and got it first try. And the Extra, well not to toot my own horn but i didn't study much, i brushed up on some formulas and such, and i actually missed it by just a few the first try, and took it a second time the same session, i got it that time because the second randomly generated test i got was mostly math questions to go with the formulas i knew and have used. The first copy i got was mostly memorization, frequencies, modes, dates, stuff like that. I came close but just couldn't pull enough facts and figures out of my brain. Give me applied math and no problem.

If the VE team allows it, and I don't see why they wouldn't, you can ask to take another test at that same session. You will of course have to pay for the second test, you will be issued a different Tech question set to try once again.

The good news is this, if you pass the any level of testing, you can then ask to take the next higher license class test, and take that test for FREE (at the same testing session).

I hope this helps, and good luck at your next testing session!

JeremyB

No problem! You should pass it easy.

At a testing session a while back, i'm a VE, we had a guy take the Tech and he just missed it, not much studying to prepare for it, so he took it again and got it at the same session. Of course you have to pay twice, $14 per exam try.

I sat down and took my tech all those years ago with nothing more than a study book, no online practice exams and such, you guys have it made in the shade to pass it now! Then i took my General with a bit of studying and got it first try. And the Extra, well not to toot my own horn but i didn't study much, i brushed up on some formulas and such, and i actually missed it by just a few the first try, and took it a second time the same session, i got it that time because the second randomly generated test i got was mostly math questions to go with the formulas i knew and have used. The first copy i got was mostly memorization, frequencies, modes, dates, stuff like that. I came close but just couldn't pull enough facts and figures out of my brain. Give me applied math and no problem.

The tech is pretty easy, I think I passed 3 out of 5 online tests before I even studied. I wouldn't think many people could pass the general without studying unless they had a radio background and the extra test will make your head spin with all the subjects it covers.

hill

Premium Subscriber
I passed both Tech and General on the first try, but not the same testing sessions. Many clubs in the Baltimore Washington Metro Area test under the Laurel VEC and they don't charge any fee. Most will let you retest at the same session if close to passing. If the person missed most the questions on the first exam they will tell to study some more and retest at a latter date. The VEs work very hard to bring more people into ham radio and do everything with in the rules to get the most people at the exam to pass.

Larry

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I took the general practice test the last time I renewed,and passed with no study time at all.
I won't upgrade to general tho,otherwise I'll have all the "ragchewers" and "brasspounders" buggin' me to set up an hf station!
Vhf and above rocks!!
N9ZAS.

KC0KM

Granted, the Tech is fairly easy. I took a practice test -- in the blind -- (as in never even studying anything) and I passed it (although barely). The key is to take a lot of the practice tests. I was taking 5-6, if not more, a day. I also made up "flash cards" for key things just so I could practice when I was not around a computer. If taking the practice test, keep track of the ones you miss, and make up a flash card for it. Also Freqs, OMS Law, symbols, and formulas are also handy on flash cards.

One thing is when you do take your test -- TAKE YOUR TIME, AND READ EACH QUESTION CAREFULLY.

I almost missed one, T-5D09, because I had not read it carefully at first, and had went with my gut. I went back and re-read it, and realized I had made a mistake, which I corrected. As a result I ACED it. The key is to take a lot of the practice exams, and study. When you take the test, relax, take your time, read each question carefully. If you have a problem with one, skip it, and come back later. Double check your answers, and write down your notes if needed (OMS Law for instance).

As the others have said -- you should pass it with ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.