2 meter help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danb8220

I have 2 yaesu radios a vx-5 and ft-60 and when using them they only work about 100 feet apart. I dont know if I have a setting wrong or what but does anyone know how to fix this problem or what to do? any help is appreciated Thanx.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well,make sure your antenna is secure first of all. I'm assuming you're on the same frequency on both radios as well,right?
N9ZAS.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
If you're talking on a repeater, then you're not using the same frequency, but 1 is 600kHz away, this overloads the receiver of the other one and drowns out the transmitted audio of the repeater.

If you're using the same simplex frequency on both, then this should not be an issue.

Danb8220

still not working

im transmitting on the same frequency no repeater both are set to regular squelch no tone or dtmf code and the antenna is tight the only thing is the vx-5 is running off of a car adapter I think they should have ample power I'm just getting baffled

K2QI

I have 2 yaesu radios a vx-5 and ft-60 and when using them they only work about 100 feet apart. I dont know if I have a setting wrong or what but does anyone know how to fix this problem or what to do? any help is appreciated Thanx.

What's your call sign?

Paulsan

Are you licensed? If you passed your Tech test you should know that you are operating simplex.

N1BHH

You may need to look at the display while transmitting. This may indicate what frequency you are actually transmitting on. You may be trying to operate in one of the repeater subbands and both radios are equipped with automatic repeater shift. You should know what the repeater subbands are and what section of the band where simplex is the norm. I think you may actually be in a repeater subband, otherwise you would hear one or the other radio with no desensitization. Don't think you are overloading anything. These radios are well designed with plenty of filtering from adjacent frequency stuff. Have you tried this with someone else in your area? What frequency are you trying to operate on?

k8mcn

What does that have to do with two radios that don't talk to each other?
prcguy

PRETTY SIMPLE if he isnt licensed we shouldnt be helping him transmit on 2 meters,and if he is, he gives his call, we help him all we can and all is good..............

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When one transmitter can only reach 100' at best the answer is simple, a blown FPA module. When TWO transmitters exhibit the same symptom odds are the difficulty lies with the operator. When the difficulty lies with the operator he shouldn't be on the air since he doesn't know how to operate his own equipment... simple enough? Draw your own conclusions.

SlGlNT

Once again a new member gets attacked after asking a question.

Last edited:

SlGlNT

Nothing in their posts tells me that they are not a licensed operator. It doesn't say they are either, but with replies like some of these who whould want to give their call sign. This person may not have access to rr on a daily basis and before they could reply with their call sign people were already jumping all over them.

Danb8220,

If you have the EDC-6 or the EDC-5B the radio will not transmit using the power supplied by the cable. If it transmits at all while plugged up it is using power from the battery not the cable. The VX-5 may have a bad battery or is not charged enough which will definately cut your tx power. I don't know of a DC adapter that will power that radio while you transmit. There may be one, but the two above are just chargers.

Last edited:

dwh367

im transmitting on the same frequency no repeater both are set to regular squelch no tone or dtmf code and the antenna is tight the only thing is the vx-5 is running off of a car adapter I think they should have ample power I'm just getting baffled

I agree with N1BHH. It sounds like you are trying to operate in a repeater sub-band. While it is common courtesy to use a standard simplex frequency for simplex communications, this could also be a learning tool for you in the event a repeater would go down during an emergency. Look up how to turn off your repeater shift so that you are transmitting simplex on the output. Once you can hear each other that way, then switch over to a regular simplex frequency to carry on your conversation. Also make sure you are not interrupting someone's conversation during your brief test. It's considered bad etiquette to talk simplex on an output frequency for an extended period unless the situation warrants it.

Last edited:

DirtyLarry

PRETTY SIMPLE if he isnt licensed we shouldnt be helping him transmit on 2 meters,and if he is, he gives his call, we help him all we can and all is good..............

Or he goes on QRZ and bootlegs one and gives it to you and no one can verify it is indeed him so whats the point?

DirtyLarry

. When the difficulty lies with the operator he shouldn't be on the air since he doesn't know how to operate his own equipment... simple enough? Draw your own conclusions.

Well if no one is willing to elmer him then chances are he won't be on the air. The guy is asking for help. So we just say he doesn't need to be on the air because he doesn't know how to operate it. Hes trying to learn how to operate it by asking here. No wonder new folks say us old hams are mean.

K2QI

Amazing. So much fuss over asking about a call sign. If the guy is licensed, then it shouldn't be a big deal to tell us.

I'm sorry, but I'm not about to go and help anyone out there just because they have a radio. We have enough lids and jammers as it is... and I'm certainly not risking my license to help someone who may possibly wish to engage in illegal activity.

Anyway, I'm not saying this guy isn't legit. I don't have enough information to make that conclusion.

My request for a call sign was not a personal attack. For those who think it was, wow.. just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.