I am thinking about a ham license, basic questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLJ2137694

I know that to all you experienced hams this is an annoying basic question so I am sorry to have to ask it. I am confused with all the info I am trying to gather so thank you for the help. Questions follow:

1. Am I correct that the licenses follow in this order, Technician, General and then Extra?

2. For the first license I get as a Technician, what frequencies can I use voice on?

Thank You!
Steven L Jones

N1BHH

The best thing to do is first, program some local repeaters to listen to, second, go to the various amateur radio websites and do some reading up, and third, read all you can in books and find a ham or two in your area to mentor you.
HAM RADIO - AMATEUR RADIO - HAM RADIO INFORMATION, LICENSE INFO!, PLANS - PROJECTS
AC6V's Amateur Radio And DX Reference Guide
The Island of Misfit Hams • Index page
QRZ.COM Callsign Database
eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site
ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page
The DXZone: ham-radio, shortwave and cb-radio guide
There is such a wealth of information on the internet that you should be able to find. Really explore all avenues and experiment. Don't try to get in over your head, always ask around the locals and they can help you out. The last one listed is such a place to find out everything you have questions about. Once you learn some theory and take a few online practice tests, then give it a try. I'm sure you have a local radio club that may have classes and exam sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.