Programming 2-way radio. FREQUENCY HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmac_attack

I have bought the software from motorola and now am ready to program my radio. I need help because there are so many numbers in a frequency and I would like to have my own frequency with my friends. How much do I need to change i.e. 154.17500 to make this my own frequency that nobody else would have unless I programmed it. Thanks for your help. ANY help much appreciated.

SOFA_KING

I have bought the software from motorola and now am ready to program my radio. I need help because there are so many numbers in a frequency and I would like to have my own frequency with my friends. How much do I need to change i.e. 154.17500 to make this my own frequency that nobody else would have unless I programmed it. Thanks for your help. ANY help much appreciated.

Wrong forum. Try the Motorola forum.

Phil :cool:

bezking

So here's the deal. If you and your friends have a ham license, you are free to use any ham channel that your license permits. However if you do not, your only way to get a private frequency is to apply for one with the FCC, and pay a fee. If you just start typing random numbers into the software, you could be interfering with licensed operations which will result in a fine of thousands of dollars with the FCC.

Another way to look at this is the use of PL Tones. You can set up a PL tone on a public frequency like an FRS freq and the PL tone will prevent you from hearing anyone who has not programmed your PL tone into their radio. You could also investigate Motorola's MDC system, but it is somewhat more complicated.

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Try using a MURS channel? No license needed,and you can assign a tone so you only hear your units.
Just an idea.
N9ZAS

zz0468

QRT
Banned
This smacks of a troller.

I have bought the software from motorola and now am ready to program my radio. I need help because there are so many numbers in a frequency and I would like to have my own frequency with my friends.

You're kidding, right? You knew enough about the radio to buy the software from Motorola, yet you're naive enough to believe you can have you're own frequency? No. I'm not buying it.

How much do I need to change i.e. 154.17500 to make this my own frequency that nobody else would have unless I programmed it. Thanks for your help. ANY help much appreciated.

The fact is, there is NO frequency you could plug into the radio that no one else could possibly have. What service do you intend to operate in? There are almost no frequencies that are legal for you to operate a programmable radio that don't require a license of some sort - and those will be severely limited (i.e. portable radios only). There is a VERY short list of frequencies that you could program short of a business or amateur license.

A business license is going to require prior coordination, and the coordinator will tell you what SHARED frequency you can apply for.

An amateur license will require you to be aware of local band plans, and what frequencies are used for what modes. And those frequencies will be SHARED.

So, come on... if you're a troll, crawl back under your rock. If you're not, then you need to tell us what service you intend to operate under so we can have a clue where to steer you.

If you don't know what service you intend to operate under, you need to put the programming software away for a while, because you have too much to learn.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Either that,OR he simply doesn't know any better?
N9ZAS

SOFA_KING

I thought about the troll thing, but when you walk around a ham fest you see people doing just that...picking any frequency they want to hide on and transmitting on it. If you search the bands (and people do), you hear them pop up just about any place...even the Federal Government bands! :eek:

I didn't want to go into lecture mode on this thread. Maybe the freq he sited was an example. Although most amateur band plans have standard channels for FM simplex, but some small areas are un-channalized. Operating in-between standard channels IS NOT a good idea because you will be close enough to INTERFERE with people who are using those channels (bad operation).

(lecture mode on ~) If you are a licensed amateur radio operator, you should know about bandwidth of your transmitter and band plans with limits of operation and channel space. If you are a bootlegger, prepare to get caught. People do listen and take action. You may not know it until it is too late.

trace1

Send a detailed letter to the FCC stating your intentions on the use of "private frequencies" for your "personal use" and wait for a reply...

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
My avatar is from an old Nickelodeon TV show called Pinwheel. Most of the skits on Pinwheel were animated or puppets. One such "show within a show" was Swedish and was called Alfie Atkins. Alfie had a pretend friend that looked just like him called Moggy. Moggy is the England word for cat. My avatar is Moggy.

SOFA_KING

My avatar is from an old Nickelodeon TV show called Pinwheel. Most of the skits on Pinwheel were animated or puppets. One such "show within a show" was Swedish and was called Alfie Atkins. Alfie had a pretend friend that looked just like him called Moggy. Moggy is the England word for cat. My avatar is Moggy.

That is cute. Mine is cute until he "flips". Flippy from "Happy Tree Friends" is a nice little bear until somthing triggers a flashback from his war years. Then he eliminates everyone around him. It's a nice kids cartoon (not).

Status
Not open for further replies.