VX8R narrow band reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng231lt

Trying to program some narrow banded forestry channels into my 8. it will not take them. keeps giving me an error message. the radio has been modified. any suggestions?

eng231lt

narrowband reception

Both. the radio will not allow me to even enter the frequency's. it will not take them.

kf8yk

Trying to program some narrow banded forestry channels into my 8. it will not take them. keeps giving me an error message. the radio has been modified. any suggestions?

Check if menu # 96 Step Frequency is set to 6.25 kHz.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
1.) 12.5 KHz or 6.25 KHz spacing? VHF or UHF?

2.) Why are you trying to use a hammy transceiver on non-amateur freqs? It's not type-accepted for use outside the hammy bands.

If your not a ham, sell the VX-8 and get a type-accepted narrowband-capable radio, which will likely be cheaper than what you spent for the VX-8. If you are a ham, then you should know better.

N1BHH

If you are trying to input receive frequencies which are not of the same channel spacing of the amateur radio bands, you won't be able to get the exact frequency, only the next closest frequency by default. The new VHF frequencies which many call narrow band are actually more correctly used via narrower deviation, 2.5 kilohertz as opposed to 5 kilohertz.

Since you are getting ERROR, that must mean you are trying to transmit out of band, which is not recommended. I suggest you not try to transmit with non type accepted radio gear as the FCC Part 97 radio is not acceptable on Part 90 or any other frequencies. If you are authorized to utilize these Part 90 frequencies, purchase an appropriate radio and do it properly.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have the VX-8R. I doubt he's seeing ERROR on the display, because you only see that when you transmit out of band. But the OP said he can't even enter the frequencies, per "the radio will not allow me to even enter the frequency's. it will not take them."

kf8yk is correct - you need to check menu #96. By default it's AUTO. Change to 6.25 kHz and the VX-8R will allow you to program narrowband frequencies. I just did this and it took 151.6275. Of course my VX-8R is still stock so I can't transmit there, just receive.

eng231lt

vx8r narrowband reception

The frequency is 151.1825. my call sign is kg4hih. I am a firefighter and i like to be able to listen when i am off duty and only carry one radio. I did list my problem wrong in my original post. I do not get an error message trying to enter the frequency the radio just will not take the frequency. the step is set to 6.25.

fineshot1

The new narrow band step for vhf is NOT 6.25khz. It is a 7.5khz step.

The new 6.25khz step is for uhf and NOT vhf.

Most of the rice box amateur equipment seems to ignore this fact and was not designed into it.

eorange

The frequency is 151.1825.
Ah...sorry, this is not possible. The reason is the VX-8R's smallest step size is 5 kHz. But you would need a step size of 2.5 kHz (or, 0.5 kHz which is more likely) to enter the above frequency.

Enter a frequency of 151.180, and set #96 to 5 kHz. Then click the dial once; you'll jump right up to 151.185.

Hope this helps.

eorange

But do this...

I just looked up 151.1825 in the Florida database:

Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

That's an input frequency to repeaters. In general, you'll have better luck listening to the OUTPUT frequencies (even if you had a HT that could accept 151.1825).

Try one (or both) of the output frequencies, which the VX-8R will handle, and you'll be all set.

eng231lt

Thanks for all of the input. Does not look like I will be able to get this freq. into the 8. I have seen the channel plan and this frequency IS listed as an input. I dont know exactly what they are using it for in my area but a couple of the DOF units in my area are using this as a simplex frequency to talk unit to unit? I will try the 5khz step and see if I can still hear them. Otherwise I will just have to monitor this one with a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.