New to Ham looking for Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddemmers

Good Evening,
I am new to ham and am waiting to take my tech test in Nov as this is the earliest local clubs offer the exam. Can anyone recommend a good starter 2m radio, for mobile and base use? thanks in advance for the input

n4yek

These are all good starters:
Kenwood TM-271A (my preference) Currently $139 at Amateur Electronic Supply
Icom IC2200H
Yaesu FT-1802M
Alinco DR-135TMKIII

Good luck on your up coming test. :)

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Generally speaking the "best" starter rig has the fewest bells and whistles and is most user friendly. The short story is since most beginners hang on the local repeaters and active simplex frequencies, an FM only, easily programmable, limited number of memory slots sort of mobile rig won't let you down or frustrate you into asking too many questions. You can always take steps upward as you expand your horizons.

As you can see you're already getting make and model numbers tossed at you, consider them as opinions. Supplement these suggestions with your own homework, check out the on line catalogs, form your own opinions and make your selection accordingly. Remember, what's good for the goose isn't always what's good for the gander, or as they say "your actual mileage may vary".

WARNING: a portable (HT) is the WORST possible starter due to it's inherent and rather severe limitations! More often than not those who make this unfortunate choice find themselves crippled and give up the hobby, don't be one of them with all that Amateur Radio has to offer.

OK, now how do I run a mobile rig at home? Gotcha covered, the cheap and dirty way of course! An old but usable car battery and trickle charger (rapid charging produces flammable gas and acid spatter) make for a good power supply until you take the next step up the ladder to... well, whatever suits your future needs. Yeah, think big and you won't need anything more. You can always cobble together a simple antenna saving a bit more money until you decide to supersize your station.

Like they say, see ya on down the log and I'm sure you'll post more questions and I'll be glad to answer them the best I can. Oh, you can start expanding your horizons right now by joining a few ham related message boards where you'll find more of what you need... hams? (;->) Don't be discouraged by the old curmudgeons you'll find out there (and on the air), if you don't like the neighborhood, move. Here's one you'll find a home on right from the start, like any other, read for a time before posting so you get the feel of the place but I can tell you right now we're pretty cozy in our Island paradise. The Island of Misfit Hams • Index page

K5RYA

I am taking my tech test tomorrow morning. I have ordered a Yasea VX-3R HT and I will be ordering soon a ICOM 208H for my mobile.

K2AFY

welcome to the hobby

I am taking my tech test tomorrow morning. I have ordered a Yasea VX-3R HT and I will be ordering soon a ICOM 208H for my mobile.

Guys great that you are getting into the hobby. Warren great response for a newby. Pyro like your choices of radios.

I made the HT mistake at first. The usual progression 2 mt ht or mobile then a dual bander......
You can spend a lot of money fast in this hobby.

Guys enjoy it.

K2AFY

K5RYA

Guys great that you are getting into the hobby. Warren great response for a newby. Pyro like your choices of radios.

I made the HT mistake at first. The usual progression 2 mt ht or mobile then a dual bander......
You can spend a lot of money fast in this hobby.

Guys enjoy it.

K2AFY

Thanks. Ya the 3R wasn't my first choice (mainly due to lack of DTMF keypad), but I got a very good deal on it and figured it would make a good starter radio that I could likely pass onto someone else at a good price when I decided to upgrade in the future.

I figured if I was going to spend the money now, I might as well go with a dual bander and save myself some money and work down the road. The 208H was a radio that I picked out after much research. I plan on ordering it next week, but I still have yet to come up with a good antenna solution on my truck. Having to meet a 6'10" clearance on a daily basis is a real bummer.

And yes, this appears it is going to be just as expensive a hobby as all the other ones. Oh well, gotta do the things you enjoy :D

ddemmers

"Here's one you'll find a home on right from the start, like any other, read for a time before posting so you get the feel of the place but I can tell you right now we're pretty cozy in our Island paradise. The Island of Misfit Hams • Index page"

Warren,
thanks for the info. Very useful. I attempted however, to join the above forum you mentioned and was promptly told to find another hobby. I suppose not all Hams are as friendly as those on this site. Thanks for the input from all. The kenwood looks very nice for the money and would appear to be a great "starter" radio. Hopefully upon licensing, which is not available in my area until November, I will send out a shout to those here. Have a peaceful day of remberance.

K5RYA

"Here's one you'll find a home on right from the start, like any other, read for a time before posting so you get the feel of the place but I can tell you right now we're pretty cozy in our Island paradise. The Island of Misfit Hams • Index page"

Warren,
thanks for the info. Very useful. I attempted however, to join the above forum you mentioned and was promptly told to find another hobby. I suppose not all Hams are as friendly as those on this site. Thanks for the input from all. The kenwood looks very nice for the money and would appear to be a great "starter" radio. Hopefully upon licensing, which is not available in my area until November, I will send out a shout to those here. Have a peaceful day of remberance.

Amen!
notworthy.gif

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I got my ticket in June and I just picked up a Yaesu FT-7900R. I'm loving it, easy to program as well. Great conventional scanner also, if your amateur bands aren't too active.

My next acquisition is going to be an Yaesu FT-270. It looks like it still has some meat on it compared to the new look of the Yaesu HTs. I'll be ordering one up in the next few minutes...

elk2370bruce

I got my ticket in June and I just picked up a Yaesu FT-7900R. I'm loving it, easy to program as well. Great conventional scanner also, if your amateur bands aren't too active.

My next acquisition is going to be an Yaesu FT-270. It looks like it still has some meat on it compared to the new look of the Yaesu HTs. I'll be ordering one up in the next few minutes...

True! The 7900 (ie restyled 7800) is an awesome radio for two and a half beans that gives you both 144 and 440 MHz capabilities with plenty of scalable power. I would suggest that you have the DTMF pad on any rig. It will help you in a number of ways - including IRLP contacts. I have no intention of getting rid of my 7800. For local, mobile, and IRLP, I really don't need the extra bells and whistles.

When I was first re-licensed, I made the mistake of getting an HT as a first purchase. Luckily, there were plenty of repeaters that I could access. Congrats on getting your ticket! If you can access a repeater with IRLP capability, enter the node 4777 and we can have a QSO.

K5RYA

Congrats and welcome to the hobby.
Prepare yourself for the empty wallet syndrome that goes along with it.

Thanks guys.

I already know how that goes. As I have already purchased a GM300, a VX-3R and have another GM300 and a 800H on the way. This hobby looks like its gonna leave me just as broke as all my other hobbies. :lol:

K5RYA

License came through just a bit ago. Think I will make my first QSO on the way home from work. :D

SCPD

QRT
HT as first radio

Well, let me first slip on my Kevlar coat, 'cuz it looks like I'll get flamed for this response.

I think an HT with a BNC antenna connector, along with a speaker/mike, is a good choice for a first radio.

You can use it in the car with a 1/4 wave mag mount to access all the local machines just fine. You can bring the handheld and the mag mount in the house (or put up an outside antenna at the house), set the mag mount atop a cookie sheet or filing cabinet, and make all the local machines just fine. And of course, you've got a handheld for special events and swaps.

The reason I say a handheld with a BNC is because, even though a SMA connector is superior to a BNC, you can't connect and disconnect it too many times before the connection gets intermittent.

K5RYA

Well, let me first slip on my Kevlar coat, 'cuz it looks like I'll get flamed for this response.

I think an HT with a BNC antenna connector, along with a speaker/mike, is a good choice for a first radio.

You can use it in the car with a 1/4 wave mag mount to access all the local machines just fine. You can bring the handheld and the mag mount in the house (or put up an outside antenna at the house), set the mag mount atop a cookie sheet or filing cabinet, and make all the local machines just fine. And of course, you've got a handheld for special events and swaps.

The reason I say a handheld with a BNC is because, even though a SMA connector is superior to a BNC, you can't connect and disconnect it too many times before the connection gets intermittent.

I agree with you, a Extra at my work told me the same thing. While so many suggest not to get an HT as your first radio, it allows the most versatility for new users.

Also I would say that if you do end up with a radio that is SMA, go and get a SMA to BNC adapter to leave on the radio and then connect to that.

fredg

Premium Subscriber
I have been licensed since 1993 but only just this week got on the air (at the time I got it mostly to listen to my scanner in the car and not be harassed). I am using an old Kenwood TH-79A dual band HT with a speaker mic loaned to me in the exact manner Wyandotte suggested, I use it in the car with a mag mount and in the house with a 2/70 ground plane mounted about 20 feet, I use this as a scanner antenna but now it gets used on my Kenwood.

Works real well, I am able to get into a repeater about 35+ miles away with no problems with what I think is 4 watts on batteries.

Last edited:

Budog

My Son and I both obtained our Technician Level License on July 1st. We were given new Yaesu Dual Band FT-60R hand held radios by our Elmer. They are less than $200 and we have been very please with them.

I have also added a Yaesu hand microphone and a Diamond SRH 77 CA Antenna and a chest harness. These were well worth the extra $

I disagree about the HT comments. I also utilize a Diamond Mag Mount on my Jeep. I would eventually like to get a mobile rig to use in the Jeep and home, but at the present time I don't have the $ and we were both given the HT's from our Elmer the day we passed out tests. We both do allot of community and public service where an HT is absolutely necessary... JMHO

Budog.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.