No clue where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.

humboldtkill

Hi, this may be the stupidest threat ever but here goes. Im looking into some better radios than my midland GTX 950. Im looking into a set of ,Motorola CP200's. I'm not sure what UHF and VHF is, and if i could use it for communication. I work 3 miles away from home and would like to chat with my house. I would get any lic i would need but it seems GMRS would not do the job, my midlands would not work that far. So i guess my question is, could i legally run UHF or VHF for personal use and what LIC would i need to do that. And what is UHF vs VHF? Sorry im a complete idiot when it comes to this and am very curious.

APTN

VHF= Very High Frequency. Frequencies from 30mhz to 300mhz fall into this category. UHF=Ultra High Frequency. 300mhz to 3ghz make up this spectrum. With a Technician class license (the lowest class and easiest to obtain) you should have no problem communicating your desired distance. Technicians have VHF and UHF privileges. (Note: I am presuming that you don't have any obstacles like hills or other nearby high powered RF transmitters.)

Budog

Obtain your Technician Class Ham Radio Operators License. I also work a few miles from home. My Son has his license too and my daughter is considering getting hers, we'll see about my Wife... My Son and I keep in touch using our Yeasu FT-60R hand held radios with a Diamond SRH77CA Antenna on Simplex. The radios cost less than $200.00 each and to take the FCC License Test is like $15.00. We used the Godon West Technician Class book to study and pass the test.

Budog.

mylt1

you could try M.U.R.S. with a good HT but your limited to 2w of power. i can talk about 3 miles from inside my truck to my wife who is inside the house. no license needed for M.U.R.S. either. but, if there are obstickles in your way, ham license would be best. you couldnt "chat with your house" you could talk to your wife/GF if she gets her license. but both of you have to have a license to use the amateur feq's.

Budog

There are also new family handi-talkies with up to a 28 mile range. But it depends on obstacles etc. They do not need a license. But you cannot tie into repeaters etc. and I think the mileage range is over exaggerated and and the reception isn't a good or dependable. I still say go for your Tech Licenses as a start and get a couple of dual band HT's as a good starting place... JMHO

mylt1

There are also new family handi-talkies with up to a 28 mile range. But it depends on obstacles etc. They do not need a license. But you cannot tie into repeaters etc. and I think the mileage range is over exaggerated and and the reception isn't a good or dependable. I still say go for your Tech Licenses as a start and get a couple of dual band HT's as a good starting place... JMHO

i have seen those, not first hand mind you. they run off the same feq's as things like cordless phones just amped up a bit. i cant remember who makes them though. i had a link saved buy when my PC crashed i lost it.

Status
Not open for further replies.