Anyone Else Going To NEAR-FEST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else on the list going to attend NEAR-FEST besides myself? My buddy Alex-AB1FC and I are going to attend for the full weekend this October.

He's going to set up a tailgate and I'm going to give him a hand. More likely I'll wander around checking out the place as the equipment on the table is his and he knows it better than me. However I'm going to be sure to offer him a break now and again. ;)

Please feel free to stop by and say "HI!" and tell us your a RR member. That would be cool to get an eyeball on fellow RR members!

To those who may not know about NEAR-FEST, here is a link to their site: The New England Amateur Radio Festival - NEAR-Fest - Index

Last edited:

Ward-29C

Am I going?

Anyone else on the list going to attend NEAR-FEST besides myself? My buddy Alex-AB1FC and I are going to attend for the full weekend this October.

Oh yeah, heading to the hills of New Hampshire. LIVE FREE OR DIE, what a great state motto!
Going to spend money I don't have, then try to hide my "new" gear from the better half. Always a good time.

RadioWARE

Haven't missed one in 35 years Not gonna start now.

Anybody remember Seabrook? or the 1st time around at Deerfield, or Kingston, or Rochester. Up all night with bonfires and guitars, man, those were the days. I remember the 1st Fall one in 1983 We didn't know if anyone would show up!

Only Attended NEAR-Fest

Haven't missed one in 35 years Not gonna start now.

Anybody remember Seabrook? or the 1st time around at Deerfield, or Kingston, or Rochester. Up all night with bonfires and guitars, man, those were the days. I remember the 1st Fall one in 1983 We didn't know if anyone would show up!

Sorry to say, I never made it to Seabrook or the others, and worse, never made it to Hosstraders. The last Hosstraders that was held, I was set to go...but, life happened and interrupted. So alas, history-in-the-making passed me by.:(

While I was not at NEAR-Fest in the spring that first year, Alex-AB1FC and myself were at the fall NEAR-Fest the first year. That year we were buyers and just there to enjoy ourselves. This year we're going as sellers, and to enjoy ourselves.

On Saturday I'm going to take a break from the tailgate table to volunteer at the VE session. From the lineup [NEAR-Fest VI Schedule of Events & Forums Schedule]. it looks like it's going to be a good weekend. Now let's hope the weather cooperates!

nhgr8hnd

Planning to earn my ticket...

I'll be heading to Near-Fest with my friend from the work on Friday -- the same guy I now hold responsible for a terrible addiction to spend money on ham equipment!

Taking the Technician exam on Saturday -- hard part will be buying something and not pushing the transmit key until I have my call sign...

Now if I can just figure out what kind of handheld to start with...

Regards,
Martin NLY (no license yet)

I'll be heading to Near-Fest with my friend from the work on Friday -- the same guy I now hold responsible for a terrible addiction to spend money on ham equipment!

Everybody should have such a friend... :twisted:

Taking the Technician exam on Saturday -- hard part will be buying something and not pushing the transmit key until I have my call sign...

Does your friend have a Ham license? Is yes, you could always operate third party and give your new toy some break in time. If it has a charged battery that is!

Now if I can just figure out what kind of handheld to start with...

Well that would depend on your needs, and of course your cash flow! :lol:
I would suggest however you get a duel-bander, such as Yaesu's FT-60R. It's a nice radio for a really nice price, about $189.95 at most places. If you Google it, you'll see a lot of positive reviews.

Have a great time at NEAR-Fest, perhaps we'll meet while there.

nhgr8hnd

Thanks...

Thanks Richard! Yes -- buddy is a long-time ham and is helping me with a mobile for the car.

The FT-60R is one of the handhelds on my 'watch list' for Near-Fest -- also a FT-250/270 -- monoband, but felt like a good way to ease into this community!

Guess we're bundling up for Friday (snow?!)!

Regards,
Martin

N1BHH

Thanks Richard! Yes -- buddy is a long-time ham and is helping me with a mobile for the car.

The FT-60R is one of the handhelds on my 'watch list' for Near-Fest -- also a FT-250/270 -- monoband, but felt like a good way to ease into this community!

Guess we're bundling up for Friday (snow?!)!

Regards,
Martin

Go with the FT-60R. I can attest to it being a very good radio. And don't be intimidated by the menu, once you read the manual and play with it a while, it will be second nature. It's really intuitive. Download the manual online and read up, that's what I do before making any purchase, research is a plus.

You really want more than a mono band radio since everywhere you go there are repeaters on more than one band. A good antenna for the car is also a good investment, make sure it's also a dual band antenna. A simple dual band mag mount does well. I use the Larsen NMO-2-70B on my van, good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.