Tuning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANZTV

I just bought a brand new ft8900 Yeasu radio. I very new at the ham bands. Is it the same as regular CB 11 Meter tuning? I have a tuner but I don't know if it will work for the Ham bands. If somebody could give me some help that would be great.

Thanks.
Pat.

Hoofy

If your meter is for the 11 meter band then it probably won't be very accurate for the ft8900.

I think that is a quad band and probably has two antenna connectors on the back. 1 for 440 and 146 mhz and one for 29 and 52 mhz.

Maybe best to get some help from a local ham that has a good swr meter that covers those ranges. It would be sad to smoke a nice new radio.

If you buy your antenna/antennas from a local shop they would probably help you set them up and get them adjusted properly.

Good luck........

ANZTV

Good Idea. I'll get some help from the Ham club I just joined. Yeah I really don't want to burn that radio. My wife will burn me with it. Thanks for the advice.

Pat.

N0IU

I don't think you will damage your radio with that tuner, it just won't work well. It might work for tuning a 10 meter antenna, but probably not for 6 meters and definitely not for the VHF/UHF frequencies.

I don't work for these companies, but if have bought lots of stuff from AES http://www.aesham.com and Ham Radio Outlet http://hamradio.com/

In addition to RR, two other resources for all sorts of useful (and sometimes very opinionated!) information about amateur radio are the forums on QRZ.com and eHam.net.

Welcome to the hobby!

73!

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what's going on here because with the exception of loaded mobile antennas nothing related to CB need be tuned, all plug 'n play. So just what are we tuning here, building antennas, adjusting SWR, what?

Since someone mentioned an SWR meter I'll address that assuming that's what it's all about, the ordinary run of the mill CB meter will work very well on HF, 160-10M but will be grossly inaccurate above 30MHz there a VHF/UHF meter comes into play. On the other hand that meter isn't sensitive enough below 30MHz to give a full scale reading at normal (<100W) power levels so two are needed if you plan to operate both HF and above.

Please elaborate, antenna tuning is another ball of wax so please be a bit more specific as to what you want answered.

BTW, the best thing you can do is forget about everything CB related and start fresh when you enter the realm of Amateur Radio, Proctor & Bergman of Firesign Theatre said it best: "Everything you know is wrong." Why? Simply because it's a different world, like when you move to another country it's best to leave your old ways behind and adopt the local customs.

Tim-Elyria

the 8900 will only operate FM so you will just need antennas cut for the FM portion of 10 and 6 meters , once the antennas are adjusted for best possible swr lock them down and forget them , should not need to be tuning them with a antenna tuner. The 8900 would be a much better radio if it also did SSB , had 2 antenna ports and had the memory setup that the 8800 does.

If you are starting out with your Technician class ticket, you will not be able to operate on 10 Meters with your 8900 until you get your General class license. You can operate in the novice/tech portion of the band; probably without much success; most FM operation takes place in the 29.6 MHz part of the band.

Last edited:

ANZTV

I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what's going on here because with the exception of loaded mobile antennas nothing related to CB need be tuned, all plug 'n play. So just what are we tuning here, building antennas, adjusting SWR, what?

Since someone mentioned an SWR meter I'll address that assuming that's what it's all about, the ordinary run of the mill CB meter will work very well on HF, 160-10M but will be grossly inaccurate above 30MHz there a VHF/UHF meter comes into play. On the other hand that meter isn't sensitive enough below 30MHz to give a full scale reading at normal (<100W) power levels so two are needed if you plan to operate both HF and above.

Please elaborate, antenna tuning is another ball of wax so please be a bit more specific as to what you want answered.

BTW, the best thing you can do is forget about everything CB related and start fresh when you enter the realm of Amateur Radio, Proctor & Bergman of Firesign Theatre said it best: "Everything you know is wrong." Why? Simply because it's a different world, like when you move to another country it's best to leave your old ways behind and adopt the local customs.

Ok Kb2vxa I bought an FT8900R radio with an antenna that handles a 6,2M,70Cm band radio.When I bought this radio the dealer gave me this antenna. What I don't like is that I couldn't find an antenna with the 10M. They should have put a double antenna jack for this radio. What also kills me is that I can't return it. So it's called I made my bed now I have to lay in it. I have to make the best of it. Now.

What is the best way to tune this Radio? Whats the best tuner to buy? (Well, I think if I buy another piece of equipment, my wife is going to break it over my head. lol). If you could tune this radio and make it work good, I'll even come to you. Your not far. I'll even pay ya. How about that.

However, I think I should have bought the 8800. I figure the 89 with the quad band would work better. I also figured since it was more money. Ah what r ya going to do. Maybe I'll sell this radio in the future and purchase a better one. But I have to make the best of it.

Thanks for your help Kb2vxa and everyone. Hope to learn a lot for you guys.
Pat
73s

radioman15

Tommahawk

Unless you have a very good ground plane I really don't recommend the Quad Band Antenna for the FT-8900 for the 10mt ham band. I've been there and done that. It will work the openings but for daily use I would stay away from it....

Don't know where you live in New Jersey , but try 29.620mhz PL 146.2, which is part of the KQ2H Repeater system in New York/New Jersey. They run over a 1000 watts 10 meter repeater and are heard on a daily basis.

joehawth

KB1RRG
well, tune your setup for what you plan on using most often. Are you really going to spend much time on the 10m band right now? Do you have a license class to use all the bands your radio can tune to? Which one do you want to spend the most time on?
Think about what you want out of your radio before you spend too much time/energy/money making every band work perfect for you.
And welcome to HAM!

ANZTV

well, tune your setup for what you plan on using most often. Are you really going to spend much time on the 10m band right now? Do you have a license class to use all the bands your radio can tune to? Which one do you want to spend the most time on?
Think about what you want out of your radio before you spend too much time/energy/money making every band work perfect for you.
And welcome to HAM!

Yeah, I won't be on 10meters yet. I only have a tech license but will have a General in about a month or so. I seem to be hanging around the 70cm band. I have my Radio installed in my car real nice. I put the antenna right in the center of my van. The radio is real nice. Now I hope it works real nice. The antenna is tuned for a 2/6/70. I guess I'll just leave it for now. Until I get my General or even after the General I'm going to have to stay like this for a while. When I'm on the Ham Radio Outlet website, my wife gives me glares (If looks could kill).

Anyway Thanks for your help.
Pat

ANZTV

Unless you have a very good ground plane I really don't recommend the Quad Band Antenna for the FT-8900 for the 10mt ham band. I've been there and done that. It will work the openings but for daily use I would stay away from it....

Don't know where you live in New Jersey , but try 29.620mhz PL 146.2, which is part of the KQ2H Repeater system in New York/New Jersey. They run over a 1000 watts 10 meter repeater and are heard on a daily basis.

yeah Tommahawk I live a little bit of north of you, 129 Garden State. But unfortunately I can't talk on 10 meters yet at least the part where 29.620MHZ is. Give me a month or so when I get my General. Thanks for the info hope to hear ya soon on the air.

Pat.

NC8X

options

you could also use a duplexer to give you 2 antenna connectors or you could also use a antenna switch, but get a good one and not a cheapo. a good quality 11 meter antenna can be shortened for use on 10 meters , something like a wilson 1000 works rather well

Status
Not open for further replies.