Low Frequency Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cf115

Hi!

Trying to get a project of mine off the ground and hoping to use low frequency radio to do some alternative marketing for it. Is it possible to broadcast, using these frequencies, to a large area in the United States? I'm definitely an amateur and am wondering what I need to get started.

Thanks!

CF

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
You need a commercial broadcaster's license....just as a start.

You would be far better off just putting together an ad and paying to have it played by a commercial broadcaster.

cf115

Thanks so much for your response. Is it really that complicated/expensive?

RadioDaze

Hi CF,
Not sure from your post what you mean by low frequencies. Broadcasting is STRICTLY prohibited on any amateur radio frequency. I'm assuming you don't mean the standard AM broadcast band. Unless you can get a license to broadcast within an international shortwave band, and I have no idea how to do that, you're going to have a tough job ahead. If you don't mean AM broadcasting, it's pretty uncertain who your market would be.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
First of all there is no LF broadcasting in the US. Second, licensing requirements are tough and full of legal red tape. Then there is the construction permit (CP) and more legal issues so the bottom line is unless you have tons of money and a good communications law firm backing you forget about it. Even if you manage to get it off the ground operating costs are enormous which is why local color has gone out of radio as "home town stations" are sold to the satellite driven robots out of Houston or simply go dark.

You may consider brokered air time but again that costs plenty, how much depends on the type of station and your target audience. At least it's a bit less expensive than a commercial spot on a big city station, that'll put you in a state of shock.

The old gray radio
She ain't what she used to be
Ain't what she used to be,
Ain't what she used to be
The old gray radio
She ain't what she used to be
Many long years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.