Newb needing a little help with finding the right radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ref-Jazzy

HI, as I have mentioned before I am new to Ham radio. But not new to radio equipment. But on to my question.

I am an avid Kayaker, and kayak all over indiana and have done a river trip in KY. I am looking for a handheld radio that is fairly water proof that I can carry on my kayak. Figure it may come in handy if there was an emergancy. What would you suggest. I plan on obtaining my Tech lic soon. Also i would prefer not to break the bank on the radio.

Thanks in advance,
Jazzy

mparker

which ever would be best and cheapest?

sounds like you are VERY open...

i started into ham radio with an HT... personally i think it was a mistake... i wouldnt say i regret it because now i have a VERY capable HT in my radio arsenal... but as a starter radio it was a bad choice...

i think you will be very displeased with the performance of an HT...

i am currently setting some cash aside for an icom 2208H, power supply, and arrow jpole. the nice thing about it i will be well under $300 for everything... i spent more than that on my HT...

another nice thing about the 2208 is, after i "outgrow" it and move to a HF rig i can buy the dstar card for it and have a dedicated dstar radio.

if you still must get a HT, i would look at the older VX5s, although i think yeasu just released a new dual band HT i am unsure of the price but i would think it would be less than a VX8.

good luck whatever you decide...

RadioDaze

eorange's suggestion of an FT-270R is probably spot-on, given your budget constraints. Also, look at their VX-6R for tri-band operation while still getting 5 watts. A bit more money, but maybe a nice compromise.

I'd use a ziploc bag, even with a submersible radio.

You might also consider carrying a GMRS radio so that there might be more ears listening, in the event of an emergency.

If you look at all like Ned Beatty, you might wanna rethink the whole plan. Get a nice base rig, and stay at home.

hcpholder

Premium Subscriber
I am probably in the same boat, except for the water issue (knowing what equipment to start out with). I figured since I couldn't operate a "base rig" living in an appartment complex, that the HT would be the way to go. I was then informed that I might end up disappointed in the "first radio I purchased" if I didn't get responses when using it, but I figure on that right off the bat. Newbee's don't get too much action right out of the gate. Then I was informed that I shoudl start out with a "mobile rig" (i guress power is a reason) and get a HT as a "backup".

This is kind of like when I purchased my first computer (just after the PC came out). It had the basic functionability I needed, as a beginner, and once I mastered it (just kidding) I moved up to something that served my "newer" needs and wants. Still, brands seem to be a BIG issue among hams. But I guess that is like looking for a wife, you just keep on looking until you think you found what you might be happy with, but you really never know. You have to work on it! That might be putting my foot in my fmouth or rear-end. Still open for suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.