RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 4:49 PM
VE7KFM Duplicate Account

Lightbulb Language, Obscenity/Indecency & Free Speech...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5usr View Post

There are similar situations on HF as well. 14.275 can be just lovely - a couple of hams (one Canadian, one in the US) who engage in broadcasting (they more or less TX all the time, running monologues and diatribes) while a host of others curse, wail and gnash teeth on the air against them.

N5USR:

FYI The "Canadian" has NOT been heard on 14.275 MHz for some 16 mo., or since Canada Day 2009 -- when he invited Glenn K1MAN back thereon -- in order to help him combat the "14.275 Mafia" [your "host", 'cursing, wailing and gnashing teeth', above].... And, while occasionally admittedly long-winded, unlike K1MAN and detractors, the Canadian a.k.a. Karol VE7KFM does NOT normally engage in "monologues"....

K1MAN now transmits "Bulletins" 24/7/365 on 14.275 MHz -- so as to preclude even the possibility of malicious interference from FRAUDulent 'put up jobs', be they seriously misled/"compromised" Boy Scouts or other HAMereekan F***TARDS -- as Karol is colourfully wont to say, HI. Suffice it to say, the Canadian does NOT now for the obvious reasons normally transmit w/i 2+ kHz of 14.275 MHz.

Read up on Karol a.k.a. "RADIO CANADA--VE7KFM" on his ONE & ONLY attributed, signed and even (c) website:

“RADIO CANADA”—VE7KFM--Being Stalked by Brian L. CROW K3VR

BTW Karol single-handedly, though reluctantly, in the last decade outlined the limits of your "Free Speech" generally and in the ARS in particular -- incidentally long before the recent important US Court decisions, involving the FCC to the same effect and on the same subject!

Below, I'm copying the slightly grammar/diction/spelling-corrected 'gravamen' of a Warning Letter written by Laura SMITH, Special Counsel for Amateur Radio Enforcement (SCARE) to Randy BEST W7CPA one of the "14.275 Mafia". This is directly on point of this thread as well as your comment and as such should help you differentiate the one "Canadian" kernel of wheat from the multitude of HAMereekan chaff, still occasionally heard misbehaving, now just below 14.275 MHz....

Date: March 3, 2009 7:55:40 AM GMT-07:00
To: Randy COX <randybest@cox.net>, William Shine <bill.shine@mac.com>

Subject: RE: Alledgely [sic] QRMing my signal on 14.275

Normally I would not get involved in what on the surface appears to be a "he said/she said" type of dispute….
I do feel, however, that some guidance is necessary (that and the fact that I have just about reached the end of my rope with all the players in this little drama!).

Randy -- I don't particularly like what Karol says on the air -- but that does not mean that you (or anyone else) has the right to try to drive him off…. and to tell you the truth, even if I did have jurisdiction over Karol (which I DO NOT) nothing that I have heard thus far rises to the level of an actionable complaint….

Indeed, were Karol an American, his speech would fall squarely under the 1st Amendment -- you know that thing many of our forefathers fought and died for (not to mention our troops overseas right now). When you call yourself patriotic, built within that statement is the acceptance of the Constitution and all it entails -- free speech is one of the cornerstones of that fine document. It doesn't mean only the speech YOU agree with; or only the speech that the majority of folks agree with; or even only speech that isn't offensive to most mature, rational adults. It means ALL speech -- the good, the bad, and yes, even the ugly (as Karol is quite often wont to spout)….

I have requested that Karol tone down his "act"….
He is going to continue the "act" -- and you guys thus far have demonstrated that you are going to continue falling into his trap. What does that say about the cognitive abilities of the Americans as they are all being led around by a master manipulator?

What is within the confines of the rules, however, is the fact that I can (AND WILL) enforce the rules against any Americans who cause harmful interference to Karol (and any of the folks who elect to engage him in QSOs). Let me repeat that so everyone understands it -- RETALIATORY JAMMING WILL NOT BE TOLERATED AND IS IN VIOLATION OF THE RULES!

I hope you all got my message here -- I have just about had it with the juvenile antics on the part of the American licensees. By the way, playing bulletins and tapes of a deceased licensee repeatedly in an effort to tie up the frequency so that Karol (and others) cannot use it actually does rise to the level of malicious interference -- and is subject to a possible enforcement action. Likewise, I won't even go into the ridiculous sound effects, endless playing of music, and general pre-pubescent behavior that quite a number of folks engage in on a daily basis at 14.275 -- again, all in an attempt to prevent Karol from engaging in QSOs. It needs to stop and needs to stop right now!

Can you tell I'm pissed? If you haven't yet figured it out let me clue you in here -- this behavior either stops now or everyone involved will find themselves on the receiving end of enforcement letters. This is an absolute disgrace -- I know kindergarteners that have shown a higher degree of maturity than the whole bunch of you!!

Laura

Laura L. Smith, Esq. | 1270 Fairfield Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325 | 717-338-2577 (phone) | 717-338-2574 (fax)
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2010, 11:40 AM

This continuing saga and mutual urinating contest on .275 has been going on the years - and with the same limited cast of players. Karol is no fool and plays these American bufoons like a well-tuned violin. They always fall into his trap and begin jeapordizing their OWN licenses with willful and malicious jamming. He just sits back and laughs his gluteals off at the antics of these rubes and hopes that the radio cops and FCC will identify his detractors and send out the nastygram enforcement letters. Laura is completely correct in her linking of on the on-the-air behavior and the Constitutional Rights and Obligations we are (as patriots) that have been hard won. These guys do need to get a life, a job, and some manners.
Other data that nobody cares about.
Old 11-04-2010, 2:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Arrow Foul Language

It sure is true; the FCC forebids obscene of offencive language has no room over the air. No matter HF / VHF/UHF repeaters, there is room for that bahaivor on any radio service. CBers are not licensed, but still have to follow rules set within 11 meter band. However there are some people who messesd up the Citizen Band and illegally scaled over the wall to 2m. and 440; which they will they pay taxes and have a right to do as the please.
I would love to see these Unlicensed knuckheads key up on a public safety system and say that to a Federal Judge
Old 11-07-2010, 2:37 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Arrow Foul Langue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeemug View Post
It sure is true; the FCC forebids obscene of offencive language has no room over the air. No matter HF / VHF/UHF repeaters, there is room for that bahaivor on any radio service. CBers are not licensed, but still have to follow rules set within 11 meter band. However there are some people who messesd up the Citizen Band and illegally scaled over the wall to 2m. and 440; which they will they pay taxes and have a right to do as the please.
I would love to see these Unlicensed knuckheads key up on a public safety system and say that to a Federal Judge
It's bad enough to here the F word slip out or something along that phase. I'll there are some Radio Operators mixed with a knuckle head groups, such as the KKK and the Skin Heads. I can imagine these knuckle heads talkingq' on HF and local VHF/ UHF repeaters about their views on life.Oh, I can just them using the N word, thou I'm sure no one dares to confrounts them on their QSOs, but it's sick to even think about in the 21st. centry.
Old 11-07-2010, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeemug View Post
It's bad enough to here the F word slip out or something along that phase. I'll there are some Radio Operators mixed with a knuckle head groups, such as the KKK and the Skin Heads. I can imagine these knuckle heads talkingq' on HF and local VHF/ UHF repeaters about their views on life.Oh, I can just them using the N word, thou I'm sure no one dares to confrounts them on their QSOs, but it's sick to even think about in the 21st. centry.
These are the same rube clowns that are expecting to get indoor plumbing in their area sometime in the next decade. Just check the outhouses for the coax running out to the trees. To them, a sheep is man's best friend and constant companion. Luckily, their numbers are small on the air but all ops are painted with the same brush.
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2010, 8:30 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Last night (11/7) when we where having our weekly net, we had an unidentified user who came on right at the beginning, cursing and disrupting the net. Our net controller simply said in a calm voice that it was not allowed, and to leave, he cursed one more time, then left. Even though there is "foul" language, it is sometimes hard to "avoid" because some people simply use it as part of their everyday language. Sometimes things slip out, and that at least in some sense can be forgivable. Most of us hopefully can keep a clear mind, and remember to guard our tongue. Others like the guy we had last night, might have been drunk, or was purposely trying to cause a problem (most likely the latter). We have had this individual on the radio before, when he comes on we do not engage and ignore him. However, one of these day we just might have us a "fox hunt" and not for points or for play, but to hunt a "fox". Now if we ever caught him -- who would "skin 'em"?
Old 11-10-2010, 9:50 AM

[QUOTE=KD0HMI;1415088]Now if we ever caught him -- who would "skin 'em"?[/QUOTE
Ahd who would want to keep that smelly, shriveled-up hide? The old straight pin through the coax used to work well and was less obvious then the bolt cutters. Our club station gets the occasional potty-mouth op or curmudgeon complaining about everyone. We just ignore them and, when they don't get their attention, they get bored and leave. The only fox hunt we have had related to an open key that was continuous over numerous days. Finally tracked the signal to a residential qth and found that a book (or other object) had fallen on the ptt switch in the guys shack. Was very apologetic to the group and a decent guy all around.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk2370bruce View Post
Yup! The elimination of the code requirement has been blamed by my age peers for everything - including pattern baldness, a delayed sun spot cycle, global warming, flouridation of drinking water, the decline of western civilization and pandemic levels of middle-aged flatulence. Yet, if you look up the callsigns of many of the pottymouth offenders you describe, you'll find that the majority have been licensed far longer than this change -some licenses dating back into the 1950's. LID behavior is not limited to vhf/uhf repeaters nor newer operators. We also have old-time fools and nere-do-wells on hf that detract from the desired level of ethical standards that we'd like to see maintained. It is also interesting that activity on the cw the portion of bands has actually increased as newer operators have voluntarily discovered the challenge and joys of the key or in my case the Vibroplex classic. After an absense of four decades away from the hobby, cw is a fun and rewarding portion of my enjoyment, Global statements, such as quoted above, only identify the level of the operator's curmudgeon quotient that separates experience and talented operators from helping the new people.. The observed symptoms of the curmudgeon disease is the accusedly quivering of the first finger digit and a rapidly quaking voice of outraged derision. It should be quarantined to QRZed forum diatribes.

Possibly the best written response to the dumbing down commentary I have ever read.
Old 12-07-2010, 7:51 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking396 View Post
Possibly the best written response to the dumbing down commentary I have ever read.
Agreed.
Echolink Node #581717
Old 12-08-2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking396 View Post
Thank you. It is heart-felt statement. True, when I took my first license test, I (too) did walk 20 miles up hill both ways in the middle of a July blizzard barefoot with a used J38 key hanging on a string around my neck. Residents of the self appointed Amateur Radio Mount Olympus residents are a goodly part of the supposed demise of our hobby. They whine and moan but make no effort to actually do anything constructive in guiding newer ops (regardless of age). I detest their elitism and lack of fraternal spirit.
Old 12-15-2010, 1:06 PM
VE7KFM Duplicate Account

Lightbulb This is a recording that everyone in amateur radio should hear...

All:

With the Holidays approaching, it's arguably time to put a DEFINITIVE "ribbon" on this thread about the level of "Obscene/Foul Language" apparently allowed IAW US Part 97 using HAMereekan audio evidence, as recorded by one of their own, HI....

If a picture is worth a 1,000 words, then analogously, this audio clip is worth at least 10,000 words in the context of this thread and otherwise:

http://members.shaw.ca/ve7kfm/n1fm.mp3

Or, to quote Jimmy N5IFI from several years ago:
“I think this is a recording that everyone in amateur radio should hear....”

To the extent that these Obscenities/Indecencies/Foul Language -- and Criminality -- were brought to the FCC's attention and NO corrective/disciplinary action was taken, we per force have to infer that what is evidenced in the audio clip and all that it implies, is unfortunately acceptable....

Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 AM

I disagree,
I've been on VHF repeaters and HF bands, if you have to use bad language or anything like it, it shows your lack of real education.
As a guy once said "If you need to use expletives, you have a very limited vocabulary".
AREC Comms Operator.
Old 12-17-2010, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_NZ View Post
I disagree,
I've been on VHF repeaters and HF bands, if you have to use bad language or anything like it, it shows your lack of real education.
As a guy once said "If you need to use expletives, you have a very limited vocabulary".
In reality, it just means that "they ain't got no class" (sic) and you don't have to talk to them or even listen.
It is one of the few "free choices" we stil have. This topic, and each of the threads associated with it, needs to die.
Old 12-18-2010, 7:39 AM

Default obscene language

=macmonkey;1381208]Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new - just passed my Tech test on Saturday and have been spending some time listening in on some repeaters thanks to R.R.

My question is that In my studying I learned that Obscene language was strictly forbidden from the Amateur bands. While listening to the repeaters I've repeatedly heard obscenities and was wondering 'what gives'.

Right now I'm listening to W6NUT (147.435MHz)

Thanks[/QUOTE] Real hams will not tolerate the language. If you hear that don't talk to them, switch frequencies. Most of them don't even have a ticket, you can check that against QRZ. Most hams are very professional but as usual there are a few cowards out there that think they can hide behind the mic. Gary-KD0IIA
Old 12-18-2010, 7:41 PM

Isn't this what we've been saying for three pages of this useless thread?
Old 06-01-2017, 3:26 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk2370bruce View Post
Have you noticed the big knob on the radio? When you don't like what you here, turn it to another repeater. There are always a few groups who ruin it for everyone. Amateur radio is like any other group of people. There are always the minority for which the entire group gets painted with the dirty brush.
Never really noticed that knob. But I think the idea is to get rid of the trouble makers. With or without the knob.
Old 06-01-2017, 4:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Gimme a break!! That thread is 6 1/2 years old.
Old 06-01-2017, 4:36 PM
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Not sure why this thread needed to be brought back from the dead.

Closed.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Closed Thread