Obscene / Foul Language & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmonkey

Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new - just passed my Tech test on Saturday and have been spending some time listening in on some repeaters thanks to R.R.

My question is that In my studying I learned that Obscene language was strictly forbidden from the Amateur bands. While listening to the repeaters I've repeatedly heard obscenities and was wondering 'what gives'.

Right now I'm listening to W6NUT (147.435MHz)

Thanks

n5ims

It is illegal, but there are some groups that appear to not follow the rule. The specific rule is Part 97, section 97.113 - Prohibited transmissions "No amateur station shall transmit" ... "obscene or indecent words or language" (from this link --> W5YI : Sec. 97.113 Prohibited transmissions). The FCC defination of "obscene" and "indecent" is here --> Obscene, Indecent and Profane Broadcasts (from their AM/FM/TV broadcast area, but the same basic rules apply to amateur radio broadcasts).

Please note that the FCC defination requires some rather strict requirements on what constitutes "obscene", especially the "applying contemporary community standards" that may allow language in some areas that wouldn't be allowed in other areas. Similar language is in the "indecent" defination as well. This "grey area" is often wide enough to drive a truck through.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
There are some "problem" repeaters around, and the one you mention is probably the very worst there is. It's been that way for many years.

Plenty have wondered aloud why the FCC doesn't shut them down, but many people living in that area *prefer* it stays active, as it gives those prone to that sort of behavior a place to go. And hopefully they don't bother going to other repeaters.

There are similar situations on HF as well. 14.275 can be just lovely - a couple of hams (one Canadian, one in the US) who engage in broadcasting (they more or less TX all the time, running monologues and diatribes) while a host of others curse, wail and gnash teeth on the air against them. And there are all kinds of long-lived "nets", especially on 75/80M, that only allow the "in crowd" and will chase off anyone else. In the mean time their discussions can get rather wild - especially after a few have been drinking too much.

That's just life. Ham radio is going to have its share of "riff raff" just like any other group or hobby. Not everyone is that way, most hams are civil and friendly to talk to. But the problem children do tend to get a lot more attention...

SCPD

QRT
Effective censorship

Twice here in Metro Detroit, we have put a "potty mouth" off the air in a very effective manner:

The potty mouth was recorded, and audio cassettes(the first time), and audio CDs(the second time), was sent to the ham's neighbors, and one copy to the cities they live in. In both cases, the cities basically strong armed the ham into taking down all antennas.

The idea came up, because someone had heard that it was effective on a swearing ham on 80 meters.
Might not be a bad idea, if the conversations on this W6NUT are that offensive to you, or the shenenigains mentioned here on HF, the above may be effective for those cases also. If they are putting out their call, then QRZ will tell you where they live, and Infospace will tell you who the neighbors are.

Last edited:

elk2370bruce

Have you noticed the big knob on the radio? When you don't like what you here, turn it to another repeater. There are always a few groups who ruin it for everyone. Amateur radio is like any other group of people. There are always the minority for which the entire group gets painted with the dirty brush.

code3cowboy

W6NUT is about as close as it gets to a bar or locker room conversation. When I am in LA I listen to that when I am not otherwise busy with the VHF radio or actually doing something.

If you are unable to laugh at the discussions and diatribes and participate in the NUTty community, find another channel to lurk on. There are plenty of politically correct groups in the LA area. There are even more repeaters and systems you can listen to on the net.

Like KC2PBJ mentioned, there are a few groups that give off the "odd" or "rude" or "vulgar" vibe, but most hams are kick back easy going folks who like to chat with other hams. Listen to some repeaters in YOUR neck of the woods before forming any ideas about hams in general.

DPD1

Actually, 435 is pretty tame now days compared to years ago. One thing you will never be listening to that one, is bored.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new - just passed my Tech test on Saturday and have been spending some time listening in on some repeaters thanks to R.R.

My question is that In my studying I learned that Obscene language was strictly forbidden from the Amateur bands. While listening to the repeaters I've repeatedly heard obscenities and was wondering 'what gives'.

Right now I'm listening to W6NUT (147.435MHz)

Thanks

In the past,when we've had someone with a "lively" tongue the easiest way to get these clowns off the air was to record their potty mouths and send the recording along with a copy of the part 97 rules regarding obscenities to the repeater trustee or owner.
This usually was pretty effective!
n9zas

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I, like others, don't condone the actions but it's kind of nice knowing where they all are. Like nuts in a nuthouse, at least they're somewhere not messing around with the rest of us. As others said, roll that VFO right on past and enjoy a different slice of the spectrum. I recommend using (even listening to) a few open repeaters until you're comfortable with the crowd.

macmonkey

I don't like the idea of people telling me "If you don't like it change the channel". I'm not trying to change anything or break up anyones "Good Time".

I was simply asking "What's going on" because after having my nose in the ARRL training book for the past 6 weeks where it specifically tells me that it's not allowed and the first time I listen to a rag-chew it's "F-You".. "Suck My @#$%", etc... So the consensus seems to be - it's not right but it happens. I can live with that.

Thanks for all the insight.

N8IAA

I don't like the idea of people telling me "If you don't like it change the channel". I'm not trying to change anything or break up anyones "Good Time".

I was simply asking "What's going on" because after having my nose in the ARRL training book for the past 6 weeks where it specifically tells me that it's not allowed and the first time I listen to a rag-chew it's "F-You".. "Suck My @#$%", etc... So the consensus seems to be - it's not right but it happens. I can live with that.

No one is 'telling you' to do anything. It was a suggestion. The FCC is aware of the "bad boys" on ham radio and other services. The biggest problem is enforcement, or lack thereof. Your last statement is right on the money. Defecation happens;)
Larry

reedeb

Do you have a driver's license? Did you not read the manual and take the test? Have you not seen other drivers [or maybe yourself] do things on the road that you read was not legal? [speeding stop sign etc.]

Sometimes ANYTHING you do, some folks around will act like fools, idiots, and morons. Ya just gotta live with it.

elk2370bruce

The world is not perfect nor filled with angelic people and voices - and it never has been. No one is telling you anything - just common sense suggestions for your own sanity and well-being as a newbie. If you were with a group of people anywhere (not just on the air) that you found offensive, you'd (hopefully) have the sense to depart. Lighten up and you may begin to enjoy the hobby and also live a longer life..

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
This is a direct result of no-code licensing and the overall dumbing-down of the hobby and licensing criteria.

Oh dear God! Thought for a minute I was over on QRZ, witnessing the start of yet another code/no-code debate... Had to double check the URL!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
This is a direct result of no-code licensing and the overall dumbing-down of the hobby and licensing criteria.

NOT TRUE!!!!! :mad: I can think of several general class and two extra class hams who routinely swear like sailors!! Don't even start that soap-box,hashed and rehashed crap here!!
The foul,illiterate and no class garbage I listen to on 14,275,14,285 is as bad as it gets!! You may want to rethink that statement, jason.
n9zas

Last edited:

K4APR

NOT TRUE!!!!! :mad: I can think of several general class and two extra class hams who routinely swear like sailors!! Don't even start that soap-box,hashed and rehashed crap here!!
The foul,illiterate and no class garbage I listen to on 14,275,14,285 is as bad as it gets!! You may want to rethink that statement, jason.
n9zas

We are all entitled to an opinion here. Myself, I was licensed at age 12, as a coded Novice (does anyone remember those). I then moved to tech with code and then went general (admittedly AFTER code was dropped).

The only point I wanted to make was, with the dumbing down, we have seen a lot of lame brains that normally would have never passed the tests, getting into the hobby and these tend to be the people that really bring lousy social skills and lack of tastefulness/tact to the airwaves.

I have personally seen it many times and it is frustrating. After working very hard at a young age to get licensed and then see how things are moving towards what CB turned into, its just not easy to swallow.

Oh and for the record, I was BANNED from QRZ for having my company's website URL in my personal QRZ lookup profile. I am NO fan of QRZ.

mancow

Database Admin
The only "dumbing down" was the ridiculous farce that was the requirement for people to learn an ancient language of beeps before earning the right to use their state of the art $1000 radio capable of communicating in a myriad of different modes.

Should we require teenagers to learn to ride a horse around town before granting them a driver's license?

I agree that there should be a level of difficulty and a set of standards but they should be based in reality and in context of the current technology.

We are all entitled to an opinion here. Myself, I was licensed at age 12, as a coded Novice (does anyone remember those). I then moved to tech with code and then went general (admittedly AFTER code was dropped).

The only point I wanted to make was, with the dumbing down, we have seen a lot of lame brains that normally would have never passed the tests, getting into the hobby and these tend to be the people that really bring lousy social skills and lack of tastefulness/tact to the airwaves.

I have personally seen it many times and it is frustrating. After working very hard at a young age to get licensed and then see how things are moving towards what CB turned into, its just not easy to swallow.

Oh and for the record, I was BANNED from QRZ for having my company's website URL in my personal QRZ lookup profile. I am NO fan of QRZ.

Last edited:

K4APR

I realize I have the minority opinion here and I refuse to get into a pissing contest over something so petty. I made my opinion and youins have yours. I'll leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.