How long does it take FCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbecker1963

Premium Subscriber
I took the Tech exam 2 weeks ago, this Thurs. and I still don't have my callsign. Really discouraging. I crammed the whole ARRL book in 2 nights, drove over 100 miles round trip. Only answered 1 wrong question and still no callsign.

Is this normal?

Ray

KJ4FEL

Premium Subscriber
No, that's not normal. I had my call sign within a week due in part to the fact that the VE Team submitted the paperwork the same day that I took the test.

A lot depends on the VE Team that administered the test and how quickly the VEC submitted your paperwork to the FCC. I suggest trying to contact the VE Team or VEC to see when they submitted the paperwork to see if there might be a problem or if there was a delay.

LtDoc

A week to 10 days is probably the average processing time. Of course, that depends on how and when the test result were sent in. I would say that if you don't hear/see something in the next couple of days that something is 'off' a bit, and I'd ask the Ve's when they sent the stuff in. Or you might give the ARRL a call?
- 'Doc

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
It can certainly vary and depends on a number of things. For instance, here in Richmond, VA just over 2 weeks ago my club had a hamfest with VE testing and although they processed the applications quickly, because of the snow storm in Texas (W5YI) it took until last week for callsigns to be issued. Now, what happened to me when I was first licensed in 2000 was that the FCC was completely redoing their computer system and it took 2 months before I was issued a callsign!

Still, if you don't get it this week, start asking as was suggested above.

elk2370bruce

I took the Tech exam 2 weeks ago, this Thurs. and I still don't have my callsign. Really discouraging. I crammed the whole ARRL book in 2 nights, drove over 100 miles round trip. Only answered 1 wrong question and still no callsign.

Is this normal?

Ray

Hell, you used to have to wait for three-six months to get your ticket in the mail. Contact your VEC who administered the test. Patience Grasshopper!

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Typically 5 to 10 days is the turn around time. This while looking in the data base. Add another couple of weeks for mailings. (You can start operating one the data base entry is made.)

The VE's administering the test should have told you this amongst all that other ham radio stuff we hams like to share. They also should have a contact for you to check with, if it takes longer. Most will place the materials in the mail that night and the FCC begins processing upon receipt.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
Seing that you have a active FRN# already did you list the number when filling out your paper work? I know that if you did not it will delay issueing and you will need to contact them

dwh367

Seing that you have a active FRN# already did you list the number when filling out your paper work? I know that if you did not it will delay issueing and you will need to contact them

I don't recall the test asking if someone already had an FRN. Either way, it shouldn't matter. I already one as well back when I tested. The test was on a Saturday and my call was in the ULS by Wednesday.

rbecker1963

Premium Subscriber
Yes! It's in...finally! Here's what happened:

When I filled out form 605, I should have put my frn on the form. I asked the VE what I can put there if I don't know my frn. I put ssan. Wrong move. The VE took care of it today and now, I'm a ham! Thanks to everyone who has put up with me. Hope to catch some of you on Echolink.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.