Repeater listings

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Are there any good websites with repeater listings that are updated daily? I'm tying to get a current list for IL and WI since i sometimes travel between the two so i can program them in to my HT. Thanks in advance.

Dave

fineshot1

While canav844 listed some good sources I don't think there is such a
thing as "updated daily" for amateur repeater listings by anyone.

Most of the amateur repeater coordinating orgs are all volunteer and do
this type of work on an unpaid basis and keep the records updated on
a several times a year basis or some of them do it monthly. Mostly it
depends on how the local orgs have organized it.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Every state of ragion has a repeater coordinating council that will coordinate or sanction repeaters for the 10m, 6m, 2m, 220mHz, 440mHz, 900mHz, and 1.2 (and above) ham bands. I think the area you were asking about has already been mentioned.

These groups will normally list the sanctioned repeaters on their web site.

Amateur Radio Repeater database - Updated daily and USREPEATERS.COM as well as the ARRL paper repeater book as also good sources for listings. I want to say ARRL has a CD format but, I cannot say that as it's been so long since I have looked into that with them.

Another great source is just Googling "ham radio repeater 'my town' or my state'" many times the unsanctioned repeater can be discovered.

N0BDW

I'm disappointed that RR doesn't have a listing of more of the ham repeaters. Generally the only ones listed are the ones that are commonly used for Skywarn and/or ARES/RACES. They already have the infrastructure.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the fast responses. In retrospect, i really did ask somewhat of an ignorant question. I think the websites are good for general info, but all i really need to do is listen to the scanner for active frequencies. I already have the 2m/70cm bands allocated to a bank as a limit search, and i can add more bands as necessary. I can also look at band plans to see exactly where i need to be monitoring according to my needs.

n5ims

I'm disappointed that RR doesn't have a listing of more of the ham repeaters. Generally the only ones listed are the ones that are commonly used for Skywarn and/or ARES/RACES. They already have the infrastructure.

There is a list in the WIKI (Category:Amateur Radio Repeaters - The RadioReference Wiki) but the RR management will only list in the main database those that are Skywarn, RACES, or ARES (direct quote below from this thread http://forums.radioreference.com/am...2561-could-rr-com-list-all-ham-repeaters.html).

We do not list "Ham" repeaters unless they are Skywarn, RACES or ARES repeaters. So, in response to your incorrect assumption that the DB Admins are here to "snap to" at your orders, what you want is not going to happen. This is not a Ham specific site, there are plenty of them on the Internet, I would suggest that you go to one of them to find your information and take the time to make your own list for your scanner.

And another quote below from this thread http://forums.radioreference.com/database-discussion-forum/147274-ham-repeaters-database.html

This site is not designed to be a ham radio site, it is not designed to be a professional radio site; it is designed to be the best collection of general information on radio monitoring matters and specifically to be a source of frequency information about Public Safety radio.

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Of the three independent sources listed, Repeaterbook.com is the only one that is accurate for my immediate area. The USRepeaters.com listing was close, though it still had a couple of incorrect listings. The ArtSci listing was terribly out of date. They may claim to be updated daily, but some of their listings are more than 5 years behind reality.

LtDoc

I think you will find that there are no 'daily' accurate listing of repeaters in your particular area or in general. It take a huge amount of effort to keep something that accurate/timely, especially for 'ham' repeaters.
I know of at least one in this area that's down. It was taken 'down' because of problems that have taken a while to correct. (The owner and the one repairing that repeater have to work for a living so it isn't exactly the first priority, you know?) I figure that's bout normal.
One of this area's coordinators lives here. From only what he's said, the best listings in the world are only going to be "iffy". 'Stuff' happens, so best advice is to listen to see if something listed is running.
Not a very 'nice' thought, huh? oh well...
- 'Doc

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
The reason that RR limits it's ham repeater listing is because in many areas these repeaters ill change more than many people change their clothes. We hams like to tweak, tune, change, and experiment. In general the Skywarn, AREA, and RACES affiliated repeaters will remain fairly constant. As such vital repeaters, the likelihood of getting updated for these systems is greater than other repeaters.

One should note that not all repeaters are even listed in the "sanctioned" repeater listings and are jsut put up by various clubs or individuals. Sometimes they are discovered by just word of mouth.

elk2370bruce

In short, there are sites solely dedicated to amateur radio repeaters and even they can't keep up with changed in coordinated repeaters - let alone those that are just on the air. Let RR.com do what they do best because that's what it was designed to do - public safety..This request surfaces from time to time and the answer always remains the same

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
In short, there are sites solely dedicated to amateur radio repeaters and even they can't keep up with changed in coordinated repeaters - let alone those that are just on the air. Let RR.com do what they do best because that's what it was designed to do - public safety..This request surfaces from time to time and the answer always remains the same

Point taken. Being new to the hobby, i am finding out just how may listings there are, and how many more that may not even be listed,and i realize that there is no possible way to keep up with it all. I'm just going to start small, programming the local area repeaters that i know are operating and expand from there as i find new ones. Thanks for the responses.

z96cobra

If you have an Android phone, try qslmobile in the app store. It uses GPS (among other ways) to show you repeaters in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.