Safe distances vs. transmit power from indoor antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks40

Premium Subscriber
Is there a chart of some sort or other information that gives safe distances vs. transmit power from indoor antennas?

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
My significant other states I should be sterilized and that I need not worry about radiation.

:)

Sent from my Motorola Droid X using Tapatalk

W2NJS

Now that's a useful tool and site, especially since all amateur stations are supposed to have this data calculated and on file. I say "supposed to," because while I have it set up for my other house I didn't bother with the main station because I'm so far from the antenna, but now I'm going to do it right.

My significant other states I should be sterilized and that I need not worry about radiation.

:)

Sent from my Motorola Droid X using Tapatalk

I beleive I would seek another route to her goal. I had T cancer but I can not directly associate it to my KW on UHF as a ham nor the microwave sites I built. Who knows?? After my experience I found that the US standard was higher densitry than the old USSR standard but I can no longer quote the numbers off the top of my head.

BTW if not already known the other main target organ is the eyes. I sure am carefull around antennas now.

majoco

Stirrer
So when I'm walking past a taxi where the driver is chatting to his base station with his 25watt 150Mhz radio, I'm being sterilised. Perhaps that's what makes taxi drivers such grumpy so-and-so's :roll:

8K10F1E

So running a 110 watt radio in a police car, fire engine, or ambulance is dangerous?

k9rzz

I wouldn't stand in front of a 100 watt microwave dish, I'd have second thoughts about being close to 1KW on 2 meters, but 100 watt VHF mobile? or 1KW on 80 meters? Pffft! Then again, I don't like sticking a cell phone in my ear either and that doesn't seem to bother most folks.

SCPD

QRT
Depends

So running a 110 watt radio in a police car, fire engine, or ambulance is dangerous?

Where is the antenna?
On the roof or on the trunk?
I think an antenna on the roof, running 100 watts, poses little RF to the occupants in the car.
I think a 100 watt antenna mounted on the trunk lid is another issue.
In my neck of the woods, the first install is usually on the roof by the radio vendor.
And installs from one vehicle to another is usually on the trunk lid by the various DPW's that don't want to go thru the hassle of dropping the headliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.