Ft-60

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7IFU

Premium Subscriber
I have an FT60, and I would like it to be able to Tx/Rx on 450-470. I saw the extended transmit tutorial, but before I try it and ruin everything, I'd LIKE to get some recommendations and/or other ideas on how to accomplish this. Is there a Yaesu lab programming software that can enable mods? Something that 'doesn't really exist?'

ka0blc

Did the mod, works as stated. Wow are those parts tiny. I was unable to cut the lead. I used a small needle nose and crushed the part, it turned to dust.
I use commander 60 to program my ft-60 it works great.
Is this when the radio police comments start?

N7IFU

Premium Subscriber
Yes it is. Could you send me a link to the site where you found the mod? Just so I know we're on the same page? If I do it, I'd like to make sure I don't ruin my radio as I have no money to replace it.

I recently had a SMT jumper removed to enable MARS operation in my FTM350; my old age eyes weren't up to the task so I stopped by a local cell phone repair shop and he had a SMD workstation and took about 5 minutes for him to remove the jumper and he handed me the radio and the old jumper in a plastic bag, for a total of $10.00.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I recently had a SMT jumper removed to enable MARS operation in my FTM350; my old age eyes weren't up to the task so I stopped by a local cell phone repair shop and he had a SMD workstation and took about 5 minutes for him to remove the jumper and he handed me the radio and the old jumper in a plastic bag, for a total of $10.00.

What amazes me is that there's someone out there that actually fixes cellphones. Is there any money it it?

As to SMT repair, I have the hot air and hot tweezers, the big magnifiers, and no coffee in the evening when I'm working on stuff. It's not that difficult, but it is intimidating before you get used to it.

N7IFU

Premium Subscriber
I am afraid I am ignorant as to the meaning of SMT.

Anyway, do you think it's a good idea to do the mod?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I am afraid I am ignorant as to the meaning of SMT.

SMT=surface mount technology

Anyway, do you think it's a good idea to do the mod?

In view of the above question, no. Not right away, and not without some practice first. It's super easy to ruin a perfectly good radio. There are SMT kits you can get to practice soldering and desoldering, and lots of how to articles on the internet. Jump in! Just don't start on your radio. =)

N7IFU

Premium Subscriber
Okay zz thanks!

Quick question: what tool should I use to crush that little R1164 part? (when I decide to do it)

W2NJS

K7RPG wrote:
"Quick question: what tool should I use to crush that little R1164 part?"
Answer: A needle-nose pliers, very small, with a very fine (small) set of jaws, and don't forget to use a magnifier, regardless of your age. I had my FT60 "done" by our shop's bench tech back when I was
working, otherwise I wouldn't have had it done. Unless you're Superman, crushing the component to be
removed is, I think, the way to go. SMT stuff is made two ways, one being with the components pretty far apart (easy to work on), and the other way is with the parts all scrunched together, which is where the danger arises when you try to modify the board.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have an FT60, and I would like it to be able to Tx/Rx on 450-470. I saw the extended transmit tutorial, but before I try it and ruin everything, I'd LIKE to get some recommendations and/or other ideas on how to accomplish this. Is there a Yaesu lab programming software that can enable mods? Something that 'doesn't really exist?'

You're a ham and you really want your ft 60 to transmit on 450-470 mhz.?
...........never mind.

gewecke

Banned

I'm assuming you understand that this DOES put your amateur license at risk,right?
Not to mention, the bad rap you'll probably get from your local peers once they find out you've been transmitting where you're not allowed.
.....Just saying.

n9zas

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I'm assuming you understand that this DOES put your amateur license at risk,right?
Not to mention, the bad rap you'll probably get from your local peers once they find out you've been transmitting where you're not allowed.
.....Just saying.

n9zas

My question then. Is why do they even make the radios modifiable in the first place? I really don't see any problem with modifying it. If they really didn't want you to modify them like back in the day of the when they outlawed listening to cell phones on scanners, they put that black stuff on the board so you couldn't modify them.... Its funny some of the folks out here complain when other people mod their ham radios to TX out of band, and I'm pretty sure that some folks that complain have moded rigs them selfs.

Its his radio, let him do what ever he wants with it. he came in here and asked a question, he deserves an answer with out some one asking him why he wants to do it.

W2NJS

Everybody wants to be a cop, which is typical when one alludes to doing something illegal, but the OP said he wanted TO BE ABLE to transmit on 450 to 470 mHz. Modding the radio does not put his ham license in jeopardy in any way, so let's leave hm alone to get into trouble on his own if he wishes to do so.

gewecke

Banned
My question then. Is why do they even make the radios modifiable in the first place? I really don't see any problem with modifying it. If they really didn't want you to modify them like back in the day of the when they outlawed listening to cell phones on scanners, they put that black stuff on the board so you couldn't modify them.... Its funny some of the folks out here complain when other people mod their ham radios to TX out of band, and I'm pretty sure that some folks that complain have moded rigs them selfs.

Its his radio, let him do what ever he wants with it. he came in here and asked a question, he deserves an answer with out some one asking him why he wants to do it.

The reason that many of these frequency agile radios are so easy to modify is because our own government uses them for ops where radio(s) maybe compromised or destroyed.
Can you see them putting a large number of motorola xts2500,or 5000's at risk? Manufacturers like kenwood and yaesu are aware of this,hence the reason this is a needed option in the designs. This has been a fact for several years.
Gov and milops happen all the time which are not common knowledge to the american public which sometimes require expendable equipment.

n9zas

KC0FZZ

You're a ham and you really want your ft 60 to transmit on 450-470 mhz.?
...........never mind.

You're a __________ and you really want your __________ to ____________________?

You can fill in the blanks for ANY hobby or ANY niche and you'll realize how tired that old argument is:

You're a *home brewer* and you really want your *beer* to *get you drunk*?
You're a *driver* and you really want your *car* to *go over the speed limit*?
You're a *shooter* and you really want your *magazines* to *hold more than ten rounds*?
You're a *audiophile* and you really want your *stereo* to *be loud enough to bother your neighbors*?
You're a *cook* and you really want your *knife* to *sharp enough to stab someone*?

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

Just because a person HAS an object capable of doing something doesn't mean they will make a practice of DOING that behavior, whether it's drive at an excessive speed on the highway, or shoot up their office, or transmit out of band on police/business/[insert non-ham user of your choice here] frequencies.

Just remember-EVERYTHING has a legitimate purpose, whether it's a fast car, or high-cap magazine, or frequency agile HT/mobile/base station.

Also, remember the Part 97 regulation that allows use of "any means at its disposal to attract attention" during dire emergency to protect life or property. (It's Part 97, Subpart E, Paragraphs 97.401 through 97.405, BTW)

Now I, for one, would be pretty pissed off if I was in distress and all I had was an FRS radio to call for help but the man with a frequency agile radio was too busy arguing with a self-appointed radio policeman to find out where my boat was sinking or where the tourniquet was slipping (dramatic, I know, but that's the point) and send help.

There is a time and a place (under thankfully rare circumstances) for everything, despite certain naysayers feelings.

My $.02, and nothing more.

(And MY answer to your original question is a resounding "YES!" Faster car, higher cap mag, sharper knife, hotter flame, or more frequency agile radio! By all means!)

Last edited:

KC0FZZ

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/hspr-H102; Blazer/4.0) 16;320x320)

gewecke said:
Part 97 - Amateur Radio

Here's a good read. Try it sometime. :)

n9zas

Did you read my post? I HAVE read Part 97; that's why I cited the subpart I cited.

It states that ham radio operators, under dire circumstances, may use whatever means at their disposal to attract attention and/or call for aid.

As far as having a radio modified for agility, I've seen nothing-NOTHING in Part 97 (nor in any other laws-city, state, federal or otherwise) prohibiting possession of a radio *capable* of transmitting "out of band".

...but maybe I've got blinders on.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
when I used to work part time for a local shop it was easier for me to take my moded ft60 with me to calls then my HT1250 and worrying if I had the customer's freq in it to figure out an issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.