Power Supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramagod

I'm thinking about bringing my HTX-100 into the house and trying it fixed station for a little while. What wouild be a good or at least minimal power supply to power it? Thanks for any help in this matter,

N5PMK-Randy

rfguygg

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

On the minimal end you could probably get by with an old PC power supply if you have one around. Not that hard to convert if you have the time.

LtDoc

Something else to consider is that almost all power supplies are advertised with their ICS current ratings. That ICS is the 'surge' current, not the continuous current supply ability. That means that for a constant 6 amps of current draw, the supply ought to have something like a 10 - 15 amp rating. A very rough rule of thumb is twice the current producing ability as the fuse of the device being powered. Three times the required current is even better. Sound like a bunch of 'over-kill'? It isn't.
- 'Doc

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
One thing you forgot to mention is the lion's share of current supplies the 5V rails, 12V for the fans is an afterthought. Best bet: a normal PSU or the poor man's version, a car battery and trickle charger you can leave on 24/7.

"Three times the required current is even better."
I use a Tripp Lite PR-60.

"Sound like a bunch of 'over-kill'? It isn't."
Overkill is my middle name.

Just to set the record straight; ICAS stands for intermittent commercial and Amateur service, CCS stands for continuous commercial service.

westbound

I have a 400watt 25 amp 12 volt converted pc power supply,that I run a 29 ltd st off of .I have two of these supplys that I converted my self,I also have 5 more radios . I been told I needed 13.8 volts to power a cb ,all I can say to that is my 12 volt switching supplys and dipole ant. work great for me .

Status
Not open for further replies.