Do you need license

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSPD

No, a license is not needed to purchase a ham radio. I have been seeing more used radios advertised by their sellers stating "must provide a valid amateur license".

mgolden2

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Which radio did you get? Hope you enjoy it!

N0ZOJ

N4JKD

Amateur Extra
Congrats! Go get that license and join in on the fun! This coming from a general class license holder, it is well worth it. Until than, just listen and learn etiquette for your local repeaters, and when you get your license, you will be set.

KC0KM

Agreed, at least get your Tech license, getting one really is not that too hard. I got my first radio before I had my license -- sort of -- I just had my CSCE, but I had scanners before that. Listen for awhile, and get the hang of it, but be very careful not to transmit unless you have a license -- you can get into a lot of trouble.

cellblock776

Ron, good for you. When I got into the hobby I had been a Shortwave listener for sevreal years before so I had heard hams on the shortwave bands. I purchased a Radio Shack 202 and showed up at the local ham club meetings. I joined, met everyone and it was almost 6 months later before I actually sat for my Tech test. That was 1995 and I've loved every minute of the hobby since.

JeremyB

If you want to build a nice beam antenna, google Kent Britain cheap yagi or tape measure antenna. If you want to buy, check out the arrow2 or elk handhelds, they are good on 2 meter and 70cm and work well to get on the amateur FM sats

darticus

Thanks for that info. Don't know if I wanna build as yet but I'll check it all out. Ron

If you want to build a nice beam antenna, google Kent Britain cheap yagi or tape measure antenna. If you want to buy, check out the arrow2 or elk handhelds, they are good on 2 meter and 70cm and work well to get on the amateur FM sats

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Hey there

RON hows goes it? having fun with the ham stuff, now that you got your ticket?
DAN KC2WCM

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Couple of suggestions

Having fun and looking for ways to get out and receive better. Maybe a small beam??? Thanks Ron

You can try making a " J " pole antenna out of 1/2 inch copper water pipe inexpensive and works GREAT i have one i made inside, in the corner of my bedroom works great i can give you the plans. Or you could buy a regular 2m/440 antenna with a mag. mount and attach it to a cookie sheet for a ground plane and waaala quick cheap usefull antenna. you are in a tough area for a handheld radio... you can get a million different idea's here im sure... i just stated two of the easier ones...ill listen for ya on some of the local repeaters....DAN

darticus

I have a frequency that keeps coming in really good but I can't seem to reach them. So I'm thinking of getting a better antenna. I can Bing the repeater but I can't talk to anyone. Sometimes someone says they hear me but in the noise. Its the NY repeater at 146.6250 minus pl 94.8 KQ2H. Maybe you can get them. The antenna you made will it be better than my Radio Shack Discone I'm using. If it simple I would like to try if I can get parts locally. My email is ron222@embarqmail.com if you want to send a plan. Thanks Ron

You can try making a " J " pole antenna out of 1/2 inch copper water pipe inexpensive and works GREAT i have one i made inside, in the corner of my bedroom works great i can give you the plans. Or you could buy a regular 2m/440 antenna with a mag. mount and attach it to a cookie sheet for a ground plane and wala quick cheap useful antenna. you are in a tough area for a handheld radio... you can get a million different idea's here im sure... i just stated two of the easier ones...ill listen for ya on some of the local repeaters....DAN

Last edited:

DannB

Premium Subscriber
ill try it

I have a frequency that keeps coming in really good but I can't seem to reach them. So I'm thinking of getting a better antenna. I can Bing the repeater but I can't talk to anyone. Sometimes someone says they hear me but in the noise. Its the NY repeater at 146.6250 minus pl 94.8 KQ2H. Maybe you can get them. The antenna you made will it be better than my Radio Shack Discone I'm using. If it simple I would like to try if I can get parts locally. My email is ron222@embarqmail.com if you want to send a plan. Thanks Ron

RON give me 20 min. or so (just finishing up some stuff around the house)ill program that in and i will throw out my call sign on it to see if i can hit it

Status
Not open for further replies.