Phone hacking can extend beyond voice mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB0VWG

Has anyone read this story on cnn.

Those unsecured mobile communications, in the days of analog transmissions, were easily tapped by amateur ham-radio operators as well. Thanks to CNN making ham radio look like we are tapping into cell phone calls, scanner listeners could do the same thing.

Here is the full story.

Phone hacking can extend beyond voice mail - CNN.com

73's
Michael

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Has anyone read this story on cnn.

Those unsecured mobile communications, in the days of analog transmissions, were easily tapped by amateur ham-radio operators as well. Thanks to CNN making ham radio look like we are tapping into cell phone calls, scanner listeners could do the same thing.

Here is the full story.

Phone hacking can extend beyond voice mail - CNN.com

73's
Michael

Yep, just another example of CNN airing stories of incorrect and erroneous information, without checking the facts!

n9zas

W9NES

This story happened many years back in FL.where a regular person picked up a key person that was in Congress intercepeted his call and leaked it to the Newsmedia. After that now scanners are blocked from that band and cell phones have gone from Analog to Digitial. As far as the comments sorry but again this is old news and most Hams and the general public as well have been aware of this for quite sometime now.I remember when this story came from CNN when it came down the wire to local Nwesmedia Outlets.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Scanners were blocked from cell long before that incident.

KB0VWG

Old News of course

How old is this????? This is old news

Of course this is old news but the point that I was making was that cnn was pointing to us as phone tappers/hackers. Scanner listeners are also part of this too, not just hams.

Michael
73's

W9NES

Scanners were NOT BLOCKED before the story was leaked to CNN and other News outlets.After the Recording was made the person was treated like a criminal and good old Newt gaot has name in the News because he was recorded becuase he was involved in consversations that were not legal according to the Newsmedia.Now after this happened scanners were **Blocked** from hearing Cell Phones and Cell Phones were analog and now they are Digitial.

gewecke

Banned
Scanners were NOT BLOCKED before the story was leaked to CNN and other News outlets.After the Recording was made the person was treated like a criminal and good old Newt gaot has name in the News because he was recorded becuase he was involved in consversations that were not legal according to the Newsmedia.Now after this happened scanners were **Blocked** from hearing Cell Phones and Cell Phones were analog and now they are Digitial.

Yup, we knew this. :)

n9zas

KB0VWG

Does anyone rememberwho it was

I remember which congreesman or political person it was, Do you?

Lets see who post the name first.

W9NES

No Rdale,I am never confused and my infomation is correct.This was right after old Newt got his name in the Newsmedia after a member of the public caught Old Newt up to illegal phone converstaions and at that time all cell phones were Analog.After the recording ended up in the Newsmedia the change was made to lock out all Scanner from listening to this band and all cell phone were made Digital.Today there are scanners that are out before this hapened that can listen to this band but you will only hear Digital signals being transmitted.

gewecke

Banned

rdale

Premium Subscriber
No Rdale,I am never confused and my infomation is correct.

Again, you are confused and your information is wrong. For crying out loud, I posted the FCC link which says the law was enacted in the early 90s. The incident occurred in 1997. Do the math.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
When Newt Gingrich got busted spilling his guts on his cell phone, he did this in analog otherwise there's no way he would have been heard.

n9zas

Agreed, and that was outlawed in 1993 as the FCC link says.

W9NES

Yes Rdale we understand and I have never been confused on any issues.Newt Gingrich was caught was his paints down over the cell phone.He did not think that anyone would hear him but he was wrong.The person who recorded this gace this to CNN and then it went National with the story.The person who recorded goold old Newt was made out to be a bad person becuase he exposed the **Leader of the house**to the nation.Nwet thought that he could not be touched by this and he was wrong** The Story was even on The Larry King Show" along with ABC, CBS, FOX, AND NBC along with AP.along with National and Local Newspapers.It just goes to show you that "All hams are not bad".The person who turned over the tape to CNN should have not got the treatment he received becuase he did nothing wrong.The airwaves belong to the public and Good Old boy Newt should have watched what he said over his cell phone at that time becuase it was not ***Secure**mode of communication.Look at Cordless phones, They are not secure and if you do a search any day in the Cordless Phones bands you will hear a number of people talking and using them and you can hear what they say word for word.Great way for you to keep a ear of your next door neighbor is saying about you and others.I hear what is said everyday on the older Cordless Phones on 46 and 900Mhz in my subdivision .These phones are used everyday and they are not **Secure** What would keep a peerson from Recording a conversation on a cordless phone of a Political Person.Would he or she be treated the same way as the other person who turned over the tape to CNN???

zz0468

QRT
Banned
No Rdale,I am never confused and my infomation is correct....

You're frequently confused, or maybe you're just in denial. Scanners were cellular blocked in 1993. The Gingrich incident actually took place in December of 1996. The monitoring obviously took place on either an older scanner, or an illegally modified newer scanner.

...The person who turned over the tape to CNN should have not got the treatment he received becuase he did nothing wrong.

Wouldn't disclosure of the taped conversation be a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, and the ECPA of 1986?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.