As promised, tower carnage pictures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kb0nly

Including mine there is 8 towers down here in the Tyler area....

http://www.kb0nly.info/storm damage.html

I will be rebuilding mine later this week, roofing contractor should be out in the next few days, things starting to improve but a lot of work left to do, i will be busy putting the house and yard back together all summer at this rate.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Wow, ouch! It appears you and your family faired well so that's what's most important. In the picture with the wind turbines in the background, they all seemed to still be standing? I assumed they "feathered" but that must have been a lot of wind.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
after a storm like that, just be thankful to be alive. the rest can be replaced.

that tower that tilted over, looks like they may have used just over a yard of concrete. the hole should have had at least 3x that!

pathalogical

Incredible pics ! Aside from the obvious damage, homes and vehicles, would insurance cover tower damage on residential property ? Do you have to make special amendments to your policy to include a tower ? Just wondering ...

Hope everything get back to normal soon !

K

kb0nly

Wow, ouch! It appears you and your family faired well so that's what's most important. In the picture with the wind turbines in the background, they all seemed to still be standing? I assumed they "feathered" but that must have been a lot of wind.

Most of them survived... A lot of broken blades. However, all the power lines from them to the substations went down so it doesnt matter... LOL

K

kb0nly

after a storm like that, just be thankful to be alive. the rest can be replaced.

that tower that tilted over, looks like they may have used just over a yard of concrete. the hole should have had at least 3x that!

Yep exactly... I noted that below the picture, there is barely a 1/4 of the concrete needed.

K

kb0nly

Incredible pics ! Aside from the obvious damage, homes and vehicles, would insurance cover tower damage on residential property ? Do you have to make special amendments to your policy to include a tower ? Just wondering ...

Hope everything get back to normal soon !

I have my towers covered under a rider as an extension to my dwelling, same as my garden shed. And was told the antennas are covered as they are part of the structure as well, so its all covered.

K

kb0nly

Can you describe the footers for your BX tower?

Four foot by four foot square, by 5 foot deep, two layers of rebar one at the top one at the bottom, 10,000 psi concrete mix from the local plant. The one tower has BX base stubs, the other has a cut off section that i used as it was cheaper but plenty strong.

If you look at my website you can see the whole construction process of both.

AK4GA

Four foot by four foot square, by 5 foot deep, two layers of rebar one at the top one at the bottom, 10,000 psi concrete mix from the local plant. The one tower has BX base stubs, the other has a cut off section that i used as it was cheaper but plenty strong.

If you look at my website you can see the whole construction process of both.

I have a BX in my garage waiting to go up and was planning on having those same base measurements. Sorry for derailing the thread but could you share how much that concrete pour cost you?

mastr

Ironic that the "improperly installed" BX might be fixed with little more than a bucket truck and another concrete pour, while the ones that were put up with a more substantial base are for all practical purposes ruined.

K

kb0nly

I have a BX in my garage waiting to go up and was planning on having those same base measurements. Sorry for derailing the thread but could you share how much that concrete pour cost you?

No problem... As for the cost that varies by region, but it was 2.9 yards, so almost three yards and your going to have to order three yards when you do so ask your local supplier for cost per yard.

You could rent a mixer and do it yourself, but it would take 134 of the 80lb bags to do this job. Thats a lot of darn bags of premix!!

K

kb0nly

Ironic that the "improperly installed" BX might be fixed with little more than a bucket truck and another concrete pour, while the ones that were put up with a more substantial base are for all practical purposes ruined.

The key word there is "might". Its hard to tell in the pictures but that tower isn't totally straight anymore. That tower is taking a lot of sagging weight from being at that angle, but i think they can salvage it as it will probably straighten up ok when tipped back up.

However, they may be ruined like mine with the proper base but only two sections were damaged on mine, and the insurance agent stated "thats how i wanted to see a tower fail, it stayed on your property and did no other damage". So by doing it properly you minimize damages. If mine tilted over like that they would have fell onto the neighbors property causing a liability issue.

IowaGuy1603

Wow ---thanks for the pics............

We had a whole lot of straight wind damage the other night here ALL over Iowa.

I hear a ham repeater is down near Des Moines because the commercial tower it was on went down

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I notice two things that survived undamaged, the tripod mounted TV antenna and the wren apartment house.This brings home a point we've known for years, TV is for the birds.

Seriously, you got off easy all things considered. After all there is Misery (Missouri), what's left of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.