Sparta repeater cqcqcq

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4jgc

This is a D-STAR repeater system. If you don't have a D-STAR capable radio it won't do any good for you.
In a nutshell, entering CQCQCQ in your D-STAR radio will allow you to access the system and be able to call anyone monitoring. If you want to call a specific station you would enter the intended station's call on your radio rather than CQCQCQ. If that station is on a connected D-STAR repeater anywhere in the world (assuming the repeater you're accessing is connected), you will make contact.
Here's some info:
D-STAR General Information - Features - Icom America
Home - D-STAR Info
D-STAR - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
‪Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) using D-STAR‬‏ - YouTube

zz0468

QRT
Banned
If the PL for this repeater is CQCQCQ how do we use this? Do you say it or program it in? Ron

And it wouldn't hurt to point out that calling CQ on a repeater is considered bad form. If you want to just put it out there that you're out there looking for contacts, just saying your callsign is all you need to do.

kc4jgc

And it wouldn't hurt to point out that calling CQ on a repeater is considered bad form. If you want to just put it out there that you're out there looking for contacts, just saying your callsign is all you need to do.

Right.....

Darticus, I get the idea from your previous posts that you have studied and passed the tech exam by yourself. If that's true, please do yourself a favor by LISTENING to the various repeaters & nets in your area to get the feel of what is accepted practice in your area. There may be some minor differences in other areas. If you have a question of procedures or practice, by all means ask one of the locals!

D-STAR systems are technically another animal. While procedurally similar, making contact is not "plug & play" until you get used to it. Until/if you get an ICOM rig /w D-STAR capability, just know that if you see a listing /w "CQCQCQ" for access, know that it's a D-STAR machine, unaccessable by analog rigs.

pjtnascar

We're starting to get here in Northern NJ. I usually just say my call and "monitoring repeater." I got my ticket in June and Darticus just got his. We are newbies learning the ropes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.