Ham radio store in Chinatown NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjtnascar

I may be going to the Chinatown/Canal St. area in New York City this weekend. Anyone know of a good place to find ham radio equipment in the area? I haven't been down in that area in years, and at the time I was shopping for car stereos.

I'm thinking with all of this stuff coming out of China these days, there must be a place there to score a good deal.

emcomm

All the electronics and things, which I too remember, in Chinatown NYC is long gone. Today all of those vendors on each block only sell pocketbooks, costume jewelry, NYC souvenirs, hats and other trinkets. The days of getting radio stuff / electronics is long gone--but I do remember that it once existed.

N5TWB

Going back a little in NYC history, the area that became the World Trade Center was the home to multiple radio-electronics vendors. The area was taken into an urban renewal mode for the development of the WTC, the radio shops mostly disappeared. There was an article on this bit of history in one of the ham radio mags, perhaps around the time following the attack on the WTC.

W2NJS

Even back in the days of Cortlandt Street, which became the WTC, Canal Street (Chinatown's edge) was not great for electronics. You could buy hi-fi amplifier kits at once place, but not much else. In those days Barry's was in the neighborhood, a few blocks up Broadway above Canal, but that was definitely "it" as far as ham equipment goes, or went. The thin profit margins and specialized nature of the business have made everything go online and/or mail order as a result, though if you're lucky enough to live near an HRO or AES location you can still go "to the store."

GeekNJ

I don't think Barry Electronics is there or if so it might not be a store front location. I'm not aware of any stores in NYC.

In Northern NJ not too far a ride from NYC is Advanced Specialties and KJI Electronics. KJI is all ham gear and Advanced is ham and CB gear. Their stores are small but packed full of stuff. Their hours are a bit haphazard especially during hamfest weekends.

K2DSL - David

GeekNJ

I was working for a couple of years in SoHo 1 block from where his old store location was, but he was gone from that location even though his website still showed it.

I don't work in NYC any longer but I make it in from time to time. Using Google Maps i can't tell much from the street view.

K2DSL - David

pjtnascar

I read that Radio Row article. Looks like it was cool at the time, but even if the WTC wasn't built, Radio Row would have died out anyway. I never made it to Chinatown, but I was hoping to find a store that sold some stuff. BTW-Advanced Specialties and KJI are both great places, with great people working there. Been dealing with John at Advanced for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.