Low frequencies 26.000 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Your post doesn't say much...most HF radios have general coverage receive from 500 kHz to 30 MHz. Is your post regarding receiving or transmitting?

Also, what radio are you describing?

jhooten

What do you mean by unusable?

When the band is open there is nothing like sitting in a chair under the shade tree in the backyard talking from Texas to Georgia, Brazil, and various Caribbean Islands on a Hand Held radio making 4 watts to a rubber duck antenna.

darticus

Its a 10 meter radio moded for CB also. What can be used for with a tech liense? Only CB and part of A and B?
These are the bands it has now with CW,LSB,USB,AM,FM Choices
Bands A. 28.000 - 28.490
B. 28.500 - 28.990
C. 29.000 - 29.490
D. 29.5000 - 29.690
E. 26.000 - 26.490
F. 26.500 - 26.990
G. 26.965 - 27.405
H. 27.000 - 27.490
I. 27.500 - 27.990

k8wtf

I think this was answered in another thread, but as a tech you can operate voice (USB) from 28.3 to 28.5, which is definitely the most active part of the phone portion of the band.

Token

Why would a radio go down this low in frequencies if its unusable? This is a ham radio but why so low? THANKS RON

Because while it was sold as a 10 meter ham radio it was really a thinly veiled "outband" radio that was often used after modification by CBers. Not as thinly veiled as some of the others on the market at the time, but still fairly obviously a CB radio in Ham clothing.

Don't get me wrong, it is a decent little 10 meter radio. But at the time this radio was marketed there was a flood of radios that were sold working on 10 meters that could easily be modified to also work on CB, or 11 meters. While this is just a guess I would not be surprised if the majority of the HR2510 radios sold were to CBers.

So CBers would buy the 2510 (and similar radios) modify them (or have the vendor they bought from mod them) and be able to have extra power, frequencies, and modes on CB and the surrounding spectrum. Just slightly prior to this time it was common to just flat out buy radios that were not meant for sale in the US (called "export" radios) and already had the extra frequencies, modes, and power right out of the box. But then the FCC started cracking down on such radios and makers had to sell them as "10 meter" with the CB frequencies deactivated but often easily reactivated.

I still use an export radio (Super Star 3900, only slightly modified) as a driver for a transverter and another as a 10 meter mobile. These radios are cheap and do work, even if not up to the standards of some of the ham gear out there. I even have a Galaxy Saturn base station "export" that I fire up on 10 meters from time to time. Nothing wrong with doing that and perfectly legal. It might not be in the same realm of operation as my Yaesu FTDX-5000 but it does work, and can be fun to use, if for nothing else than just messing around. I think I got it for $50 at a yard sale, hard to find a cheaper 10 meter base station than that.

T!

darticus

Mine was free and thats a great price! Ron
20111002_5.jpg

Because while it was sold as a 10 meter ham radio it was really a thinly veiled "outband" radio that was often used after modification by CBers. Not as thinly veiled as some of the others on the market at the time, but still fairly obviously a CB radio in Ham clothing.

Don't get me wrong, it is a decent little 10 meter radio. But at the time this radio was marketed there was a flood of radios that were sold working on 10 meters that could easily be modified to also work on CB, or 11 meters. While this is just a guess I would not be surprised if the majority of the HR2510 radios sold were to CBers.

So CBers would buy the 2510 (and similar radios) modify them (or have the vendor they bought from mod them) and be able to have extra power, frequencies, and modes on CB and the surrounding spectrum. Just slightly prior to this time it was common to just flat out buy radios that were not meant for sale in the US (called "export" radios) and already had the extra frequencies, modes, and power right out of the box. But then the FCC started cracking down on such radios and makers had to sell them as "10 meter" with the CB frequencies deactivated but often easily reactivated.

I still use an export radio (Super Star 3900, only slightly modified) as a driver for a transverter and another as a 10 meter mobile. These radios are cheap and do work, even if not up to the standards of some of the ham gear out there. I even have a Galaxy Saturn base station "export" that I fire up on 10 meters from time to time. Nothing wrong with doing that and perfectly legal. It might not be in the same realm of operation as my Yaesu FTDX-5000 but it does work, and can be fun to use, if for nothing else than just messing around. I think I got it for $50 at a yard sale, hard to find a cheaper 10 meter base station than that.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.