Icon that represents Amateur Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Does anyone know of a generic icon that represents Amateur Radio in general?

The one I've attached looks fairly similar to the ARRL icon - is this a generic type icon that represents the Amateur Radio community?

I'm looking for ideas so we can represent our Amateur Radio operators in the forums with a badge/icon.

Thanks for any feedback.

Lindsay

Attachments

• ham_radio_01.png
    ham_radio_01.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 7,144

scannerboy01

Hi Lindsay:)
That is the correct symbol for amateur radio that is recognized around the world. Do you know if there is a symbol just for scanning?

bezking

The one I've attached looks fairly similar to the ARRL icon - is this a generic type icon that represents the Amateur Radio community?

I'm looking for ideas so we can represent our Amateur Radio operators in the forums with a badge/icon.

Thanks for any feedback.

Lindsay
That is the official symbol for amateur radio as per many of the member states of the IARU. It's about as close to a "universal" icon as there is.

nd5y

I have been a ham for 30 years and I don't know of any single symbol that would represent all hams, especially if it is just a graphic with no text. How is it going to be used? Is it going to be in forum post headings like the ones for DB admins and feed providers and have text under it? If that is the case it probably doesn't make much difference what you use.

There are a lot of hams that don't like the ARRL and might be offended by something that looks like the ARRL logo but I don't know how many people like that might be RR members.

kl7ibv

Generic Amateur Radio symbol

That's the symbol that I've always thought was the universal one. Variations of it are used by Amateur Radio organizations throughout the world. :)

vees

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for any feedback.

Lindsay

I like it, plus it looks like the artist of that particular version released it into public domain on Wikipedia.

I would also suggest the icon of a radio tower with waves coming out of it, similar to this one I found:

Photo: Radio antenna © Soja Andrzej #6179643

To show that we are both the listeners and the talkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.