Ham radio in a TV show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reedeb

SUPER!!! I think he'll need a 10,000 gigawatt amp and a 500 ft tower, 30 radios, and 300 piee of gear. [You know Tim Taylor style]

ALSO on his door definatly need THIS sign
hamradio.jpg
[JUST for the safety of others]

canav844

I've been enjoying the show for what it is and noticed the Icom ads in the background in some other episodes and some use mimicked of a T-70 or V80 at one point as a walkie tlakie for around the store, it'll be cool to see it accurately portrayed.

W2NJS

At last, a show that takes time to do things right. I'm really tired of seeing comm gear in movies that was grabbed from a prop room with no thought as to accuracy. One that comes to mind is Tommy Lee Jones's men using SP50s to talk on the US Marshals trunked channels, or Bruce Willis doing similar tricks with an FRS handheld.

scannerboy01

I once saw a depiction of "ham radio" on The Simpsons. It was pretty much no more than some CB radio. There was no regard for any rules that the FCC has for amateur radio operators. The radio they were using looked like an HF radio that doesn't need to get plugged in to an electrical outlet. This was not a good depiction of real ham radio.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

The ?producer? Is a ham radio operator, the show has been in touch with ARRL for a realistic, but un-assignable call sign. As a result of the production, several staff have gone on to write and pass ham exams. Very neat stuff, and great to see someone of the stature of Tim Allen to be playing a ham operator, who knows, he may even become an operator him self.

OCO

I once saw a depiction of "ham radio" on The Simpsons. It was pretty much no more than some CB radio. There was no regard for any rules that the FCC has for amateur radio operators. The radio they were using looked like an HF radio that doesn't need to get plugged in to an electrical outlet. This was not a good depiction of real ham radio.

I think nuclear plant operators, cops, mayors, TV clowns, TV news personnel, children, wives, 3 eyed fish, religious figures, devout people, dogs, cats, cartoon characters, bar owners, maybe even drunks all have the same complaint about the show ..:lol:

BTW - Tim's F100 pickup is in a lot of shots - once a gearhead, always a gearhead...

N5TWB

Along similar lines of ham radios in TV & movies, I noticed a very accurate depiction of 1930s vintage Hallicrafters gear (with the lower case "h" forming the speaker grill) and a straight key being used in a shipboard radio room in Spielberg's "Tin Tin" animated adventure flick.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

OCO said:

I think nuclear plant operators, cops, mayors, TV clowns, TV news personnel, children, wives, 3 eyed fish, religious figures, devout people, dogs, cats, cartoon characters, bar owners, maybe even drunks all have the same complaint about the show ..:lol:

BTW - Tim's F100 pickup is in a lot of shots - once a gearhead, always a gearhead...

Now we just need to get an ft-857 w/ an ATAS120 into it!!!!!

kny2xb

For what it's worth, I remember the Saturday morning TV show The Secrets of Isis [ it ran from 1975 - 1977 ]

One of the episodes had someone signaling for help using a ham radio after they were captured by the bad guys

I THINK it was an Icom IC-202 or IC-502 portable [NOT a handie-talkie], I could be mistaken, it has been over 30 years since i've seen that show

Merry Christmas fellow scannists!

Last edited:

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
It would be a tragedy if they replaced the Icom gear with boat anchors. We need to move away from the public perception of our hobby being all about old people and old radios... we need to show that we are still relevant and using relevant/cutting-edge technology.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.