RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 1:43 PM

Default Is The Antenna Farm a good company?

Hi Guys,

I am getting the Icom 2200H and looking at purchasing some software from The Antenna Farm, their software and cable seems a lot cheaper than most dealers, are they legit dealers?

Anyone used their software and cables with out problems?

Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 01-31-2012, 2:25 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This will help you understand about The Antenna Farm:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ran...enna-farm.html

I normally buy my radio items or accessories from HRO in Atlanta never tried any other of the Amateur Radio stores such places as AES or Universal Radio.
Old 01-31-2012, 2:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Good in my book

I have only purchased antennas and mounts etc. from these guys but I can say that their products are quality and I think reasonably priced. Reasonable shipping and I had the ordered items in just a few days.
Old 01-31-2012, 3:26 PM

Thanks Git-R-Done and donny,

I guess like every other business not everyone can be pleased
I think being such a small purchase I should be OK, if it falls though, I wont be loosing much. I am more concerned in the software being valid and the cable working in conjunction with the software.

Thanks for the reply guys.
Old 01-31-2012, 8:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

never had a problem buying some antenna parts (NMO mount, NMO-UHF adapter for a Comet antenna). Shipped promptly, got emails with tracking and order info, and they were cheaper (including shipping) than anyone else.

HRO and AES wanted to charge me 12.95 shipping on items that would fit in a small USPS Flat rate box (5.00), not to mention in HRO's case (DeKalb county RAPE off 8% tax). don't get me wrong, I normally buy from HRO for radios and high dollar items, as their sales staff is EXCELLENT and they stand behind their sales well beyond you walking out the door.

but for small items, The Antenna Farm was a better deal for me. and I have no complaints, prompt, affordable and painless. and they were the ONLY ones who would not charge me $13 shipping on $20 worth of items (in fact, it was only $3.95 for my order).

I give them a solid thumbs up.
Old 01-31-2012, 8:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have bought from them twice, both positive experiences.
Old 02-01-2012, 2:07 AM

Thanks for all the replies and input Guys.

I would like to purchase the software and programming cable from them. My only concern is that they work. It is relatively cheap and I don't want to damage the Radio.

I called Icom asking about the schematic for the cable and he says there is none. I have never seen the USB programming cable in hand and wont know until I do, because the tech at Icom told me that the USB end has some chips in it.

It could bee the stereo to the USB data converter is built within the cable, I cant say until I have the cable. Having said that, i am hoping its a good quality these guys have and last a while. I hope the software is legit and stable as well.

I will call them tomorrow and make some inquiries.

Thanks guys for all the help and replies.

Old 02-01-2012, 5:12 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I've made a few purchase from them and was completely satisfied. I too normally purchase any gear etc. from HRO but sometimes you do find a better price some where else and when you've got to save a little bit of the green then you'll usually go where the better price is.
Old 02-01-2012, 7:08 AM

I dealt with the 'Antenna Farm' when it was in Texas (nearby), but not since the move to Colorado. I can't complain about the company from my limited dealings.
About the compatibility of the cables, USB/serial converters. They are not all the same, primarily in the drivers and how the things were designed. Some cables/adapters are more proprietary than others on purpose. Can't help with that choice. Good luck.
- 'Doc
Old 02-01-2012, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtDoc View Post
I dealt with the 'Antenna Farm' when it was in Texas (nearby), but not since the move to Colorado. I can't complain about the company from my limited dealings.
About the compatibility of the cables, USB/serial converters. They are not all the same, primarily in the drivers and how the things were designed. Some cables/adapters are more proprietary than others on purpose. Can't help with that choice. Good luck.
- 'Doc
Thanks so much trace1 and LtDoc for the input. I just got my 2200h so will call TAF and ask them about how well the cable and software work.

I am ok with software and hardware, but thats providing it works. I do a bit of debugging but I dont want to be fighting someone elses demons.

Thanks guys
Old 02-01-2012, 9:54 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If it were possible (and it may well be), and I needed a programming cable and software, I would first try to buy it direct from the manufacturer of the radio.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:02 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have the RT Systems software for the Icom Ic-2200H and it is very easy to use and the cable works great. Have a look at the link below. I like there software so much I have it for all my radios. The nice thing about the icom cable is it will work for all of the icom radios I have. No need to buy cables for every radio.

Radio Programming Software | Icom Radio Software | Cloning Software
Old 02-03-2012, 9:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have purchased stuff from them 3 times. Prices are good but shipping is sometimes slow and they don't notify you when your order is shipped. I usually have to call to find out about it.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0SCT View Post
I have purchased stuff from them 3 times. Prices are good but shipping is sometimes slow and they don't notify you when your order is shipped. I usually have to call to find out about it.
His prices are very tempting, I'm just the type of guy that likes to know when to expect something when I order it. Kind of like a kid waiting for this birthday presents..

How long has shipping around the US taken people who have used The Antenna Farm? Is it a matter of a few weeks or more?
Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, seems to be a hit and miss situation withe The Antenna Farm.

Some guys were lucky many were not. Thanks for taking the time to reply and for posting links.

Old 01-02-2013, 6:11 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

There are a few threads about The Antenna Farm, but this is the most recent I can find, so I'm posting here.

After reading all the mixed results people experienced after ordering from them, I nearly didn't myself. But, I decided to order a Comet CA-2x4SR NMO dual band antenna for $59.95 from them last Thursday (12/27). I received an email confirming my order later in the day, and another email with a tracking number the next day. The order arrived today (1/2), which surprises me since the relatively quick journey included a holiday weekend.

Yes, I paid the flat rate of $9.95. I figure that's fair, since the long box it came in must have cost something.

Anyway, I can't complain one little bit about my order. I hope this information helps somebody else out with their decision of whether to order from them. I plan to consider them for future purchases.
Old 01-03-2013, 2:13 AM

I've read an equal number of good and bad reviews about the website. The bad reviews seem to be written by people with no grasp on the concept of grammar, while the positive reviews are written very well. Personally, I'd side with the well-written reviews.
Old 01-03-2013, 5:49 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have ordered from Antenna Farm several times recently. I cannot comment on how they used to be in the past, but I have ordered several commercial Vertex/Standard radios and their programming software/cables from this company, and I have had NONE of the problems listed in some of the postings cited. Yes, shipping could be faster, but it's still acceptable.
The only minor problem I've encountered is installing the software. The documentation is some what sketchy, but if you've ever installed any other radio programming software and dealt with the usual USB driver/cable issues, it is easy to figure it out and install what they send on the CD.
All-in-all, I've had comparable service from Antenna Farm, HRO, AES, etc. HRO sometimes gets my business if I'm in a hurry as I usually get overnight delivery from their Salem, NH store as it is very close to my residence. I won't hesitate to order from Antenna Farm in the future.
Old 01-03-2013, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2000des View Post
never had a problem buying some antenna parts (NMO mount, NMO-UHF adapter for a Comet antenna). Shipped promptly, got emails with tracking and order info, and they were cheaper (including shipping) than anyone else.

HRO and AES wanted to charge me 12.95 shipping on items that would fit in a small USPS Flat rate box (5.00), not to mention in HRO's case (DeKalb county RAPE off 8% tax). don't get me wrong, I normally buy from HRO for radios and high dollar items, as their sales staff is EXCELLENT and they stand behind their sales well beyond you walking out the door.

but for small items, The Antenna Farm was a better deal for me. and I have no complaints, prompt, affordable and painless. and they were the ONLY ones who would not charge me $13 shipping on $20 worth of items (in fact, it was only $3.95 for my order).

I give them a solid thumbs up.
I think you are right on. I have bought things from more than a few places, but do usually buy from HRO. The shipping is what burns my rear sometimes. I wanted something made by MFJ the other day and could not find it anywhere else, got hit hard on postage from them.
Bottom line, if a place gives good service and has a better price because of shipping, buy from them and let them know their shipping made the difference in the sale,

I buy gun tools from one place who has a small charge for shipping anything under 1 pound and regular shipping for things over a pound. I like the one pound or under thing. Some places make up for low prices on smaller items by overcharging on "Handling" and postage. The handling charge is what gets ya. I hate paying $12.95 shipping for $5.00 part, but sometimes if you need it bad enough, you have to do it. Many times better to wait and look for other possibilities if you can.
John

Last edited by dksac2; 01-03-2013 at 8:21 AM..