Ham Radio CB frequency question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROSIF

First off I am a complete noob in the world of radios. With that being said I am in the process of getting my ham license and just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R that will be here soon. My question is can I access CB frequencies from this radio? My friends and I go out to the desert and off road quite a bit and we use CB radios to communicate with each other. This radio would come in handy even more if I could communicate with them on those frequencies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Congrats on making the step up to amateur radio, if you want to talk on cb, then it's a cb you need. The same goes for ham radio.
Your baofeng won't let you because cb is a band it won't tune to.

n9zas

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
First off I am a complete noob in the world of radios. With that being said I am in the process of getting my ham license and just purchased a Baofeng UV-5R that will be here soon. My question is can I access CB frequencies from this radio? My friends and I go out to the desert and off road quite a bit and we use CB radios to communicate with each other. This radio would come in handy even more if I could communicate with them on those frequencies.

Sorry to say you will need a CB radio to accesss the CB radio channels the Boafeng UV-5R will only pick up and operate on the programmed channels it came with.

John599nj

Premium Subscriber
10 meters on the Ham bands would be very close to cb.
It took me 5 minutes to figure out what noob was lol

gewecke

Banned
10 meters on the Ham bands would be very close to cb.
It took me 5 minutes to figure out what noob was lol

Close yes, but 10meters and cb are two entirely different bands, the only thing they share is propagation.
There are ham talkies however which will go down low enough to receive cb, but some on fm only.

n9zas

gewecke

Banned
Read the third sentence in his post. They 'use' CB's to communicate. Not just for monitoring.
Larry

Legality wouldn't be an issue in his case larry, because his baeofang UV5R won't cover cb at all no matter what he does. Receiving or transmit won't happen.

n9zas

Last edited:

RadioDaze

Not to mention the legalities... Oh, did I say that out loud?
I think it's fair to mention the legalities, especially since the OP said "...I am in the process of getting my ham license..."

If a sincere ham or future ham comes to this forum for advice, we would be remiss if we didn't point out misconceptions. Someone who is aspiring to be a ham should also be aspiring to learn how the equipment works, and how to play by the rules. A ham needs to know why his radio won't operate on a given band, and why he shouldn't do so even if it did. I do think BROSIF received useful information in this thread. Maybe he will be able to encourage some of his friends to get ham tickets. Welcome, BROSIF.

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
Is the Baofeng UV-5R A Micro sized dual band 2m/70cm radio. the 2 meter band operates on 144. mhz to 148 mhz 70 cm band is uhf (440 mhz area) C.B. band is 27 mhz the radio is not made to operate that low it is impossible. if you had a 10 meter radio some of them can be modified to transmit that low Welcome to the world of Ham Radio

W2NJS

Radio Daze wrote above:

"If a sincere ham or future ham comes to this forum for advice, we would be remiss if we didn't point out misconceptions. Someone who is aspiring to be a ham should also be aspiring to learn how the equipment works, and how to play by the rules. A ham needs to know why his radio won't operate on a given band, and why he shouldn't do so even if it did. I do think BROSIF received useful information in this thread. Maybe he will be able to encourage some of his friends to get ham tickets."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well said and a big "Amen." Also, if you're new don't overlook the fact that the hams you hang around with have been at one time where you are now, and that makes them a great source of quick learning for you and can also save you from some silly mistakes. You get a lot of that kind of learning from reading this board, but if you also have a local radio club or other type of ham group to talk with then they can help shorten your learning curve a great deal.

kb2vxa

Banned
"If a sincere ham or future ham comes to this forum for advice, we would be remiss if we didn't point out misconceptions."

That's what elmering is all about. Starting at the basic level an elmer should simply point out that CB is as far removed from Amateur Radio as the US is from that HT's point of origin. That's all he needs to know at this juncture, to avoid information overload and confusion a newbie is best fed with small bytes.

AC2OY

"If a sincere ham or future ham comes to this forum for advice, we would be remiss if we didn't point out misconceptions."

That's what elmering is all about. Starting at the basic level an elmer should simply point out that CB is as far removed from Amateur Radio as the US is from that HT's point of origin. That's all he needs to know at this juncture, to avoid information overload and confusion a newbie is best fed with small bytes.

Roger that!! I'm pritty close to information overload!! I have a few guys at my club that will help me along the way. I have so many questions I don't want to go in there Wednesday with a list don't want to make these guys pick up their briefcases and run. I suppose it's good I'm getting into this older rather than younger and have enough sense to do a lot of listening! When the time is right I'll fire away or ask here and make some folks crazy!

Last edited:

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC Build/5.5.1_84_DBN-74) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Fuzy, just a thought. "Learning" isn't necessarily information cram, but knowing how, when and where to research or retrieve what you are looking for. The advance of Bing, Yahoo and Google has made things a bit easier but IMHO they've contributed to sloppier thinking. Kinda like kids depending on a calculator, rather than understanding how to do math with paper and pencil. HTH.

kb2vxa

Banned
"...and have enough sense to do a lot of listening! "

As one of the best teachers in the business Gordon West always says; listen, listen, listen. Just don't listen to the lids*, you'll know them when you hear them.

* Lid: officially a poor operator, unofficially several nasty names fit.

AC2OY

If it is ok with you I will seek you out! I passed my Tech exam tonight,was in over my head with the general but I will continue to study and read. Couldn't help notice your in Point Pleasant New Jersey so when I get going here I will keep your call sign written down!

Status
Not open for further replies.