What is your favorite mode to talk or listen to

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
For myself I like digital cause you can actually hear the person's who your actually talking to I never been much of analog FM fan and I don't know why if I would have to say is the noise on analog type signals if your not close to the repeater system or on a base type setup at times you'll be scratchy.

No flame wars or etc that's all I ask.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It depends.

For local work, FM. Nothing beats UHF FM when the system has carefully tailored audio characteristics.

For VHF/UHF weak signal work, CW.

For HF ragchewing, SSB.

I actually don't care for digital audio. It just doesn't sound natural.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
favorite modes to listen to/use

For myself I like digital cause you can actually hear the person's who your actually talking to I never been much of analog FM fan and I don't know why if I would have to say is the noise on analog type signals if your not close to the repeater system or on a base type setup at times you'll be scratchy.

No flame wars or etc that's all I ask.

For me, it`s defenitely digital :). Why? I like how much cleaner the audio sounds on a digital radio, and given the same power level on the repeater or the station you`re in QSO with ya can go further without all the noise and static that happens when one "runs outta repeater" and gets near the fringe of the coverage area, the signal is solid untill at some point ya "fall off the digital cliff", which i`ve seen in my work with DSTAR and P25 recieve. Favorite mode to listen to for stuff like six meters and 10 meters? FM. For the rest of HF? Has to be SSB, hands down :D. CW takes a close second for HF listening. N9NRA P.S. Also don`t mind listening to good ol` AM once in a while too, just for the fun of it.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
I prefer CW and digi modes like RTTY and PSK.
10 meter FM is fun when the band is open, if you can tolerate
the phase distortion and fading.
I almost never operate SSB any more,
W1AMJ

acyddrop

Premium Subscriber
I do a little VHF/UHF digital voice (once a week my club has a D star ragchew net on 2 meters) I also use Echolink to participate in a few national/international nets (Breakfast club for example).

Primarily I'm an HF guy however..

So I use SSB voice for rag chewing (40%) and once a week (or so) FDDMV (free software) or AORs OFDM with the AOR ARD9800 (decidedly not free).

But the bulk of my HF time is spent using PSK or RTTY and occasionally JT65 (2-3 hours a month).

JnglMassiv

Pretty much exclusively HF SSB QRP here, save for a couple special events each year.
I haven't set up the Micom for some ALE in over a year and I use the HT's about twice a year to monitor the talk-in channels at local hamfests (haven't keyed in a while, though). I guess I do use the HTs pretty extensively at Dayton, typically P25 to chat with the Hamsexy goofballs. Oh, nearly forgot, I also checked into the 51MHz FM net via HF/VHF manpack, also at Dayton for the last couple years.

n0nhp

QRP JT65-HF.
No discussions of the latest ailment or how tall the tower is.
Make a contact, put it in the log, call cq. repeat.

Bruce

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
SSB and PSK31 on HF bands mainly. Work some local FM analog on 144/220/440/900 MHz and P25 on 440 occasionaly.

ridgescan

Not a ham here, but I like the rich sound of the AM guys down in 80 or 160 meters streaming from the gorgeous audio of my SX-88:) it's like they're in this room. Nothing like it. Some of those guys sound better than MW BCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.