Ham radio proves itself again - Examiner.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Seems they have their act together in CT but no such luck in hard hit NJ where communication with the public was in shambles. Evacuation and Red Cross shelter worked like a well oiled machine but that's where it fell apart. News media concentrated on ratings as always and provided no useful information, then politicians made the rounds and appeared on TV spouting the usual BS, empty promises and such, just PR. There was NO plan to return us to our homes, I had to be a royal pest as liaison for my group wading through layered bureaucracy and miles of red tape. Days later Social Services managed to communicate across county lines and we went home in a van. Bottom line, you should know by now not to listen to mercury mouth politicians, they're so full of poop their breath stinks!

In case you're wondering why hams did such a good job in CT, the ARRL is in Newington. (;->)

millrad

Premium Subscriber
Actually, a strong ARES on the state level depends on having a strong field organization.
In Connecticut, we are fortunate to have Betsy, K1EIC as SM and Wayne, N1CLV as SEC plus a really dedicated group of local ARES operators.
Headquarters works on national policy and oversees ARES for the entire country.
Sorry about the NJ situation...hope everything gets restored very soon.

W1AMJ

rapidcharger

WARNING: There is an obnoxiously loud video ad on that site that automatically plays.
radioReferenceRL.gif

sloop

I agree in part to everything that has been posted. With that being said...The greatest problem that I see in an emergency is that the local authorities don't realize how useful amateur radio can be until we are needed. Our state organization is great and the state EM understands and endorses our capabilities, however, many local agencies don't. In my situation our local EM director thinks that they don't need ARES because of the VIPER system that they have access too. "We have access to more frequencies than we could ever use." Education prior to an emergency is essential, but is difficult when those needing the education don't have the desire to learn.

p.s. even though ARES is 'not needed' we do appear on every state and federal report/grant that the EM office fills out.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"The greatest problem that I see in an emergency is that the local authorities don't realize how useful amateur radio can be until we are needed."

The greatest problem that I see in an emergency is that the local authorities don't know Amateur Radio exists. There, fixed it for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.