vhf/uhf Calibration Signals Transmitted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOBRR

Hello,

Are there any transmitted reference calibration signals (like WWV does on the lower freq's) that
one can use to check out a SDR receiver in the vhf/uhf freq. ranges ?

Particularly around 100 to 400 MHz ?
But higher and lower also of interest.

Thanks,
Bob

BOBRR

From OP: What To Use Up To 450 MHz ?

Hi,

Thank you; good suggestion.

Any thoughts on who/what to use for higher freq's., up to around 450 MHz ?

Thanks,
Bob

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? There are tons of signals to listen to. Are you looking for highly accurate RF frequency, or time ticks? Just a continuous source of audio? Tell us what you need it to do, and we can offer up suggestions.

If you need a frequency reference, simulcast systems are generally locked to GPS, and highly accurate.

BOBRR

From OP:

Hi,

Something like wwv would be great.

Trying to calibrate the hfsdr program I"m using with my new Dongle,, and need something "narrow" and clear,that I can
reasonably accurately tune to its peak, and see how far off in freq. it is.

Thanks for help,
Bob

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
For that you need a station monitor, a calibrated and highly accurate instrument used by repair shops. They cost an arm and a leg, I doubt you wish to sacrifice body parts. WWV is unique being an extremely accurate time and frequency standard with an "atomic clock" actually a cesium laser at its heart.

Bottom line here is you can use off air signals to get you in the ballpark on the receiving end since transmitters must be kept to tight FCC frequency tolerances. That's the best you can get but don't expect them to be dead on, considering your purpose they're "good enough for government work".

k3td

There are VHF/UHF beacons around New England that are used to monitor enhanced propagation conditions. Here is a list that includes the 6 digit Maidenhead grid square for location referencce, but I'm not sure how current the list is.
VHF/UHF BEACONS by WZ1V

Local VHF amateur radio contesters and weak signal operators in the northeast could probably point you to something more current and specific to your location.
N.E.W.S. Group Homepage

JnglMassiv

WWV is unique being an extremely accurate time and frequency standard with an "atomic clock" actually a cesium laser at its heart.
I think what makes WWV unique is that it is a single source for a time signal. You could pretty easily build the hardware to accomplish the same thing on V or UHF but it won't get very far, even with massive power, and so you'd need to set up stations all over the place.
I tried and failed to find how much power WWV runs. Anyone know? And do they turn it down at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.