Anyone out there on repeaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheels47130

Premium Subscriber
I studied and got my license.ni was so anxiousness to start talking to people. I am in Daytona Beach and have been working all the repeaters from all around.yet, I have only one contact? Is this normal, or where ae people at?

I appreciate any guidance you can give a newbie :)

KK4NPQ

73s

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I studied and got my license.ni was so anxiousness to start talking to people. I am in Daytona Beach and have been working all the repeaters from all around.yet, I have only one contact? Is this normal, or where ae people at?

KK4NPQ

73s

It all depends on the time and day plus who is all listening or what they might be doing. Welcome to the ham radio. Try these frequencies:

145.41 -

DAYTONA BEACH Florida
Add
146.655 -600 KI4RF 103.5 Daytona Beach Florida linked to 146.655mhz, 444.175mhz, 53.05mhz access ... Add
146.985 -
107.2 Daytona Beach Florida
Add
147.15 +

DAYTONA BEACH Florida
Add
147.240 + w2du 123.0 Daytona Beach Florida ARES/RACES - Skywarn Add
147.375 + n4zkf 103.5 Daytona Beach Florida Click for Website Add
147.975 + n4zkf 103.5 Daytona Beach Florida UPS-Emergency Generator Add
162.4 KIH26
Daytona Beach FLORIDA NOAA Weather - Supplied by NOAA,... Add
29.66 - ki4rf 100,0hz daytona beach Florida linked to 146.655mhz, 444.175mhz, 53.05mhz access ... Add
444.175 + KI4RF 156.7 Daytona Beach Florida linked to 146.655mhz, 444.175mhz, 53.05mhz access ... Add

AC2OY

Hello and welcome there's a 2 meter one I hit I think it's 147.250 forgot the split and the pl tone but I have talked to people out of state for the first time ever on this one!! Hope one day to work you in it!!!

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I also heard that sometimes (not sure if it is true or not) other ham radio operators are hesitant to reply to someone who is new on a repeater that they often use. But that is not the case for me, I like talking to new voices/hams, but off-hand have you tried saying that your a new ham radio operator? Maybe that might help.

TheSpaceMan

I often find I get more responses when I come on a repeater and ask for a radio check, instead of just saying "listening". A sure fire way to get responses is to say "break channel", but you will not get the kind of responses you are probably looking for! :)

LtDoc

I think it's a fairly good idea just to say what you are doing. "This is ______ looking for someone to talk to.", that sort of thing. If I hear someone say they are 'listening', I tend to take them at their word, sort of, and let them 'listen'. Or sometimes I ask them what they are listening for. That's a 'personal' attitude, but I think it may be more common than I'd believe. Oh well...
- 'Doc

W5JER

Make sure your on the right PL tone otherwise your talking to yourself :) Also this might seem like common sense, but always be honest. It's alot easier to talk to people when your honest and not trying to think of things to make up to talk about. Like Rt169 said, talking about how your new to HAM is a good start. Some HAMs love to give advice to new comers. It's a great conversation starter.

When in doubt, dont key up!

Get involved in clubs in your area. It's ALOT more fun to talk to people you know. This is NOT like CB radio where you just key up and talk about how your grandpa drank a jar of moonshine. It's alot more formal radio. (I expect you already know this)

Getting involved in clubs is a great way to meet other HAMs and gives you alot more reasons to use your radio. It's always nice calling a friend to have a nice conversation. It also lets you know which repeaters people use.

Another thing to get the ball rolling for you is finding out when NETS are ran in your area. Participating in NETS is a great way to get your feet wet and gets your call sign out there. You will start to notice your lookups on QRZ go up a bit ;)

An amateur radio net, or simply ham net, is an “on-the-air” gathering of amateur radio operators. Most nets convene on a regular schedule and specific frequency, and are organized for a particular purpose, such as relaying messages, discussing a common topic of interest, in severe weather (for example, during a Skywarn activation), emergencies, or simply as a regular gathering of friends for conversation.

Hope this helps you out!

Last edited:

eriepascannist

Premium Subscriber
We just had a pretty extensive thread about the use (or lack thereof) of ham repeaters, that can provide you with some more reading.

http://forums.radioreference.com/am...242295-ham-repeaters-dead-everywhere-now.html

I am a new ham of about 2 months and am finally starting to get more active on-air. I have been making myself a regular on all the area nets, so as was previously suggested check in regularly and people will start to notice you.

Unfortunately, it is sometimes true that some hams won't come back to a new callsign they don't recognize, but if you hear they are listening or looking for a contact, go back to them and say you are a new ham and just wanted to make their acquaintance. I have met several people this way, and a couple of them turned into very long conversations!

You never know when you'll run into a ham! I met my best "ham friend" at the fitness center! We got talking one day and I mentioned I was getting my license, and since then he (a longtime and very dedicated operator) has been to my house and even given me a brand-new HT to get started on!

Simple and short, get yourself out there, make some new contacts, and make new friends--you'll hopefully soon find how friendly ham radio is!

Good luck!

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
When my ticket came through I got on the main local repeater, gave my call sign and added that I was a brand new ham looking for my first QSO. I got a nice pileup of people eager to talk to me.

Whenever I hear someone who is new to the hobby, or even to the area or a repeater I am eager to talk to them and, judging by how many people usually answer a call like that, so are a lot of others.

AC2OY

Wheels we can QSO on 147.270 pl tone 141.3 BERS owns it a friend of mine gave it to me so I know for a fact I can hit it!! I would be honored to make your acquaintence on there!!!

ermin

KK4NPQ

73s

Welcome to the world of amateur Radio. I've enjoyed it since i was 14 (61 now) try here for a local list too
Florida Repeater Council Home Page

Ermin

fineshot1

Check the NFCC Website

hey fellas - for whatever area you are looking for checkout the local coordinator org
web site for your most up to date listings. This is for all coordinated repeaters so
the non-coordinated repeaters may not show up of course.

NFCC Coordinators

The SERA organization seems to be an exception to this as
they do not seem to publish to the public this info unless you
purchase and subscribe to the journal they publish.

NOTE: NFCC For the USA, does not include Canada

Last edited:

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
I also heard that sometimes (not sure if it is true or not) other ham radio operators are hesitant to reply to someone who is new on a repeater that they often use. But that is not the case for me, I like talking to new voices/hams, but off-hand have you tried saying that your a new ham radio operator? Maybe that might help.

You are correct about some ham operators are hesistant or some what when it comes to talking to the person who was recently licensed I don't know that happens but I'll talk no matter if someone's been licensed for awhile or just got licensed we're all the same!

146.715 pl123 up in Palm Coast usually has some early risers on. It's on Florida Hospital Flager at Hwy 100 and I-95. It's pretty much the busiest repeater in Palm Coast, after the D-STAR machine. There are plans to improve it's coverage, as well as 147.075 at Flagler Beach.

Welcome to the hobby.

florida ham repeaters, home of the i havent pooped in a week and i have heart problems nets
And in the Midwest where I used to live, it was about sending your son out to buy farm parts ("Boy, I need a #10 sprocket for the combine, go pick it up while you're out getting the feed"), or arguing about Skoal vs. Red Man. Then every once in a while we had a weather net.

Status
Not open for further replies.