Motorola Radios on Ham Bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd2ael

Hi i was wondering can i get a mobile Motorola radio or ht to transmit on 2meters and 440 or just 2meters or just 440.

GSPD

Yes you can. If you have a VHF Motorola you can do 2 meters and a UHF band Motorola will allow you the 440 band. If you're not familiar with the programming of Motorola radios you'll need some extra equipment for that. You'll need a computer, RSS/CPS(software), programming cables and possibly a RIB box depending on the radio. OR you could have a radio shop program them. There are lots of Motorolas out there on the ham bands!

W2NJS

If your question is whether or not there's a dualband Motorola HT or mobile the answer is yes, but at this time there's only one model of each and in used condition they will cost you upwards of $2,300 for the radio plus the programming material mentioned in the above post. The two radios are the APX7000 HT(and its variants) and the APX7500 mobile. Both radios can be purchased with the FPP feature which allows the user to change certain settings in the field (frequencies, PL, DPL, labels, NB/WB) but not some other things such as scanning setups for which you need a computer and software. The dualband setup is available in two bands per radio from the VHF, UHF, and 700/800 mHz areas.You can pick up a lot of information from the Motorola sites for the various units as well as by looking at the offerings on ebay.

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US...lic+Safety/P25+Portable+Radios/APX+7000_US-EN

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US...ublic+Safety/P25+Mobile+Radios/APX+7500_US-EN

Last edited:

gfkeith

For Years I have used a Motorola Spectra for 2 meters. I paid about $100, took it to a friend at the local Motorola shop and he programmed over 30 freqs in it for $25. I like the extra power(had it set for 75-80 watts), the feel of the mike and yes he program local public service freqs(no transmit) in it as well. Just make sure you use good coax and run power from battery. Several of my friends also use HT1000s. With a lot of cities changing over to trunking more will be available.

GSPD

If your question is whether or not there's a dualband Motorola HT or mobile the answer is yes, but at this time there's only one model of each and in used condition they will cost you upwards of $2,300 for the radio plus the programming material mentioned in the above post. The two radios are the APX7000 HT(and its variants) and the APX7500 mobile. Both radios can be purchased with the FPP feature which allows the user to change certain settings in the field (frequencies, PL, DPL, labels, NB/WB) but not some other things such as scanning setups for which you need a computer and software. The dualband setup is available in two bands per radio from the VHF, UHF, and 700/800 mHz areas.You can pick up a lot of information from the Motorola sites for the various units as well as by looking at the offerings on ebay.

APX

APX™ 7500 Multi-Band Mobile Radio - Motorola Solutions USA

Good information on THE Motorola dual band, but I'm sure it's nothing the OP would be interested in judging by his past posts and assuming their age!

W2NJS

I think that people store the kind of reply I made in their heads for future use if they don't have a current use for the data. I was somewhat confused by the OP's question to start with so I gave what was a partial answer to his total question in which I assumed he was looking for a dual band setup.

kd2ael

No i love all the information you guys have me. yeah im only 16 but don't let that fool you im extremely tech savvy i have my Comptia A+ and Network Security+ by any means im not here to brag nor to argue with anyone. just hate when some people under estimate young people. Thanks for the info i look into those radios and i use ht100s for pd im in police explorers its jr.law enforcement i love them . they seem so rugged thats why i like Motorola radios

k3cfc

Silent Key
No i love all the information you guys have me. yeah im only 16 but don't let that fool you im extremely tech savvy i have my Comptia A+ and Network Security+ by any means im not here to brag nor to argue with anyone. just hate when some people under estimate young people. Thanks for the info i look into those radios and i use ht100s for pd im in police explorers its jr.law enforcement i love them . they seem so rugged thats why i like Motorola radios

I never under estimate young people as i once was one.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Hi i was wondering can i get a mobile Motorola radio or ht to transmit on 2meters and 440 or just 2meters or just 440.

Take a look at batlabs.com, and you'll learn the technical side of getting Motorola radios onto the ham bands. Also, the Repeater Builder website has an excellent section on Motorola radios, and conversion to ham use. You can probably forget getting a dual band Motorola radio for a while. Unless you go for a dual Spectra setup with the HHCH. You could piece that together with eBay parts for a few hundred dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.