Vanity Call Sign

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
Vanity Call Sign Question

Why is it when I do the vanity call sign form on the ULC, after I input my list of call signs, I get to the Licensee Information page, I get this error message that must be corrected but I'm not sure I understand what it means.

"An administrative name change cannot be used to accomplish a change in ownership and/or corporate structure. For these actions the current license must be canceled and a new license applied for. Changes in ownership or corporate structure are subject to enforcement action."

I'm not changing my name.... just requesting a vanity call sign.

Can anyone help?

John
KD8TZC

Last edited:

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Here is a great site for vanity call info

N4MC's Vanity HQ

Why is it when I do the vanity call sign form on the ULC, after I input my list of call signs, I get to the Licensee Information page, I get this error message that must be corrected but I'm not sure I understand what it means.

"An administrative name change cannot be used to accomplish a change in ownership and/or corporate structure. For these actions the current license must be canceled and a new license applied for. Changes in ownership or corporate structure are subject to enforcement action."

I'm not changing my name.... just requesting a vanity call sign.

Can anyone help?

John
KD8TZC

KC0KM

I ran into the same thing. Here is the hint -- you have to make a "small" change in the ULC. For instance, change your middle initial, either add it or delete it (whichever applies). On mine I had to delete it, but on the attention line I added it again. This should do it.

LtDoc

Just from what you've posted, it sounds like you didn't enter your name as it already is in the ULC, you got your name wrong. Beats me, I don't understand what could have happened either, but evidently it did. If you keep having problems I would suggest contacting the FCC and asking them what to do about it.
- 'Doc

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
When you log into the ULS, select your existing license first then look on the right hand side for the option to apply for a vanity callsign. You should not have to make any administrative changes to apply for a vanity callsign.
FCC: Wireless Services: Amateur Radio Service: Amateur Licensing: Common Filing Tasks: Obtaining a Vanity Call Sign

That's exactly what I did... hmmmm... I wonder if it is because my callsign was just issued. Well, I'll just let it grow on me I guess and get used to it. I'd love to have a 1x3 call vs the 2x3, but I can live with it for now.

donnie_ke6don

John,
FYI, if you check the sites the others have mentioned, you will find that the only way to get a 1x3 is by going vanity,
That s how I got the call I have.
Personally, I v used this site, http://www.vanityhq.com/, with great sucess on calls.

Hope this helps.
Also, You are now listed on the FCC site.

donnie K7UTA

Last edited:

KD8TZC

Premium Subscriber
John,
FYI, if you check the sites the others have mentioned, you will find that the only way to get a 1x3 is by going vanity,
That s how I got the call I have.
Personally, I v used this site, N4MC's Vanity HQ, with great sucess on calls.

Hope this helps.
Also, You are now listed on the FCC site.

donnie K7UTA
Donnie... I'm fully aware I have to go for a vanity to get a 1x3... that's why I have been trying to do this. I may just live with it though. It seems like too much of a hassle to change.

w5yi.org will take care of all your ham needs the first time every time.

I have an issue with that site as they want my SS# AND my ULS Password in order for them to do what they say they do. That's not going to happen.

Last edited:

k3cfc

Silent Key
Something is not right is correct because i had them renew my general and get my vanity at the same time and they never ask me anything like that. i would call them. I must ask what is a 1x3?

K3CFC

QDP2012

...I must ask what is a 1x3?

K3CFC

The call sign "K3CFC" is a 1x3. 1 character in front of the number and 3 characters after the number.

The call sign "AB3CD" is a 2x2.

The call sign "W1AW" is a 1x2.

Hope this helps,

k3td

The current FCC vanity call sign program has been in place since 1995, yet roughly 20% of vanity applications are dismissed because of errors by the applicant. Some common reasons for dismissal with actual examples are:

Does not meet the FCC guidelines for amateur callsigns - K9TRAINER for example

Reserved or restricted calls - we tend to think of 10 call regions, 0-9, but for the vanity program there are 13. Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico have their own allocation blocks. AL4T is only available if your mailing address is in Alaska.

Applying for a callsign before your upgrade is processed by the FCC. You must be eligible in the FCC ULS for the callsign requested as of the exact moment your vanity application is filed, even though the FCC takes 18-20 days to process applications based on the day of the week they are filed. If you just upgraded - congratulations! Wait until your upgrade is showing before you apply for your new call.

Applying for an expired call too early. Expired callsigns have a 2 year grace period - for the previous holder (or close relative) to apply for reinstatement. Everyone else must wait 2 years + 1 day to apply.

Applying too late for an expired call. All 1x2 calls and 2x1 calls in the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and 12th call regions are scarce and get snapped up on the first day they are available - 2 years + 1 day after expiration. Apply on that day to have a chance at them.

Multiple vanity applications on the same day. The FCC permits only one vanity application per day and any other applications filed on the same day will be dismissed. If you discover an error after you click Submit, don't file a new application, just amend your current one.

Slash Zero - If you apply for a callsign with a zero in it and your pc uses anything other than the standard ASCII zero character, the FCC cannot recognize it as a zero and will dismiss the application.

There are hundreds of 1x2 and 2x1 calls available, thousands of 2x2 calls and many thousands of 1x3 calls. If you have an interest in one, maximize your chances for success:

Understand the vanity rules for which format you are eligible for
Research which calls are actually available
Lean the vanity application process and file properly

There are several great sites for vanity call sign information. My personal favorite is by AE7Q. It is well organized, updated daily as the FCC files update and contains the most accurate information on FCC vanity call sign rules.
AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.