RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Amateur Radio > Amateur Radio General Discussion

Amateur Radio General Discussion - General discussion forum for amateur radio topics not covered by the above forums.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quoting Charlie-
"The repeater will be about 12 miles from my house, Now I need to get a antenna, I want vertical like a Ringo or J-Pole and I don't know what I will get yet.
So if anyone would like to give advice it would be welcome."
Charlie, with a repeater 12 miles away and its antenna 300 feet up, you could use a piece of wet string with your 100 watt unit.....
Sorry, a flip answer- I like the Ringo's personally- and I even have one on Six back home. They work well, last forever- put one up and forget it.
In the mean time, a simple half wave dipole will do just fine.

..............................CF

Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 PM

I run a Diamond VX-2000A on 6M FM, 2M, and 70cm. If you are going to use it on 6M add the additional ground plane radials. It comes with a single adjustable counterpoise radial.... which I found didn't have any tuning effect at all to reduce the 6M SWR. There is a hack shown on several websites that has you removing the single counterpoise and replacing it with three regular radials. Made a major difference on my antenna on 6M (without affecting 2M or 70cm).
Old 09-14-2017, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote-Frostbyte View Post
Quoting Charlie-
"The repeater will be about 12 miles from my house, Now I need to get a antenna, I want vertical like a Ringo or J-Pole and I don't know what I will get yet.
So if anyone would like to give advice it would be welcome."
Charlie, with a repeater 12 miles away and its antenna 300 feet up, you could use a piece of wet string with your 100 watt unit.....
Sorry, a flip answer- I like the Ringo's personally- and I even have one on Six back home. They work well, last forever- put one up and forget it.
In the mean time, a simple half wave dipole will do just fine.

..............................CF

Hey I laughed at your wet string comment. I really put how far I was to let people know I won't be that far from our repeater.
I'm going to program my radio on our repeater freq. power level down low for home and and put it in another channel higher power in case I put it i my truck and go out for a ride further away out of town.

I think I'm going to get a Ringo for 6 I have a 2 meter Ringo now and it works pretty good.
Old 09-14-2017, 6:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie12 View Post
Hey I laughed at your wet string comment. I really put how far I was to let people know I won't be that far from our repeater.
I'm going to program my radio on our repeater freq. power level down low for home and and put it in another channel higher power in case I put it i my truck and go out for a ride further away out of town.

I think I'm going to get a Ringo for 6 I have a 2 meter Ringo now and it works pretty good.
You will need to beef up the hardware on the 6M Ringo - the aluminum 'loop' at the bottom that provides decoupling is 3X larger on the 6M Ringo than on the 2M Ringo and the attachment hardware on mine did not stand up to the winds in central Texas.

Welcome to 6 FM!

Old 09-14-2017, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3td View Post
You will need to beef up the hardware on the 6M Ringo - the aluminum 'loop' at the bottom that provides decoupling is 3X larger on the 6M Ringo than on the 2M Ringo and the attachment hardware on mine did not stand up to the winds in central Texas.

Welcome to 6 FM!

Thank you I will take your advice. I just ordered one online.

Sponsored links
Old 09-14-2017, 1:32 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Hi Charlie
I think that you'll be pleased with your choice of a Ringo. I have one's for 6, 2 and 3/4 metre's- all have seen many high altitude Rocky Mountain winters and still are like new. I like that they, by their impedance matching design, place the radiator at DC ground. My home in Colorado is smack dab in the heart of Lightning Alley- and phenomenon like St. Elmo's fire are not uncommon.
I threw that little aside about a wet string antenna kind'a out of teenage memories-- of doing many similar radio 'experiments.' As a young teenage ham, I had a same aged radio chum who lived a mile away. We used to 'experiment' on 2 metre's with all sorts of 'antennas'- from wires a few inches long, pilot light bulbs,--- everything imaginable that could be connected to a piece of coax-- strings saturated with salt water- even an index finger to the coax connector ! *
So my little comment was come by honestly- experimentally based and personally verified... (laffing.)
...........................CF
. *This was at low power- approximately 2-3 watts AM. The "Lauri Antenna" worked over a DX path of a mile quite nicely. My father, also a ham, on learning of using my body in radio experiments- "success's" or otherwise-- said ; "Cut that stuff out- right now!"
(though I'm sure at the time he used a word much stiffer than "stuff')
__________________________________________________ _____________
__________________________________________________ _____________
Another aside you may or may not be familiar with, but a formulae I carry about in my head and use all the time- calculating a radio signal's approximate horizon- ie; " line of sight" for V/UHF.
Distance in miles = the square root of the antenna height in feet X 1.41
Calculate this for both ends of the path.... its a good estimate of what range to expect for 99% coverage. As you can see, your new repeater's antenna a 300 feet, 12 miles away, would put a signal into your Basement ...!...
Old 09-14-2017, 4:27 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

My local 2m repeater is about 7km/4miles away on a ridge - I can see is from here - I use an old KDK FM2030 turned down to less than 5 watts just to monitor it. On a whim I decided to do a VSWR check on my antennae - hello, the 2m slim jim was infinity! Hmm. Climbed up onto the roof and found the ferrule of the PL259 had come undone and the whole plug was lying inside the PVC tubing not connected to anything!

A 2m antenna about 1/2inch long works well! I'm surpised that the KDK didn't spit the dummy but there was no hint that anything was amiss.
Old 09-14-2017, 4:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
On a whim I decided to do a VSWR check on my antennae - hello, the 2m slim jim was infinity! Hmm. Climbed up onto the roof and found the ferrule of the PL259 had come undone and the whole plug was lying inside the PVC tubing not connected to anything!
You didn't have any sealing tape around the PL259?
Old 09-14-2017, 5:01 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

No need, the plug/socket are inside a piece of PVC pipe sealed at both ends - never had a problem with water ingression. IMHO it's better to let the water out rather than keep it in!
Old 09-14-2017, 5:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I was actually thinking more about the tape preventing the thing from unscrewing from the vibration...