Do you keep a station log? A radio log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bswp

I'm new to radios, and waiting for my call sign after passing my technician exam last week. I wonder how many of you keep logs for your stations - do you record *everything* you do, or just contacts you've made... and do you keep separate logs for each radio, or just merge all your notes into one logbook?

I have a Yaesu FT-60r, planning to be involved in local disaster response efforts, but also looking forward to general listening and making contacts.

jand1958

I do.
I keep one log and merge all radios into it. I just log actual QSO's. If somebody asks for a radio check, I probably won't log it. Even though it's not required any longer by the FCC, it's fun to go back and look at the contacts you have made.
I even kept a log back in the 70's for CB. Still have a few of those logs laying around after all this time.

W3DMV

i Keep a log using a database on my station computer. It makes it very easy
to sort and organize your contacts. If your involved with various awards such
as DXCC or WAS, or a million others, it is a huge aid in getting your QSO'S
sorted and organized..

I keep all basic info such as date/time/qth/mode/report and name. I do
not record rigs or shoe size..

Have close to 290,000 entries in my list which spans back to 1960. Lots of
fun looking back over the years to see some of the stations worked.

k3td

I keep a log of my contacts on 160 - 2 meters for ssb/cw and the digital modes from home, but not for FM as I make too many of them and they are casual contacts - and are also primarily when operating mobile or portable.

I use the DXLab suite of integrated logging, propagation and spotting applications and have it interfaced to my IC-7700 radio so logging is just a couple of mouse clicks. The DXLab programs are freeware that are easy to install and use, and very well supported.
DXLab

Good luck and 73,

TheSpaceMan

I'm new to radios, and waiting for my call sign after passing my technician exam last week. I wonder how many of you keep logs for your stations - do you record *everything* you do, or just contacts you've made... and do you keep separate logs for each radio, or just merge all your notes into one logbook?

I have a Yaesu FT-60r, planning to be involved in local disaster response efforts, but also looking forward to general listening and making contacts.
Not only do I keep a log, but I record every QSO that I have made! It's really wonderful to be able to play back old conversations that you have had with old friends so many years ago.

bswp

Thanks, all. Yes, even in Twenty-Fourteen, I see the benefit of a logbook for various events related to contacts, equipment, etc.

elk2370bruce

I have an access database that I created for all hf contacts. Various output reports can be easily assembled. Can also search callsigns for previous contacts. Nothing special - simple Microsoft Access application. Old habits die hard. As a Novice (many moons ago) I got in the habit of logging my activity and QSL status.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I just keep a log of HF contacts in a simple Excel spread sheet. I don't bother with regular FM VHF/UHF repeater contacts. I suppose if I ever get into VHF/UHF SSB I would log those.

BTW, I would let the local officials handle the local disaster response efforts. Hams just get in the way usually. Helping with the walkathons and bikeathons is more what Hams can help out with.

PrimeNumber

Yes, I keep a paper log of all QSOs. In one of those ARRL log book at that. But then most (>95%) of my stuff is on HF.

I'm kind of retro that way. After doing computers at work all week, it's nice to just write something out on paper for a change.

LtDoc

When I started you had to keep a log of every transmission. That was relaxed quite a bit 'later', but I'd got into the habit. I think I have logs for HF stuff going back quite a few years (several moves in the mean time so don't bet on still having those logs). For VHF/UHF stuff I haven't kept a log at all, don't really see a need for it (make sense or not, what can I say?).
If I'm participating in some kind of 'regulated' net then I think it's a good idea to keep a log. If it's just casual conversation (normal BS'ing) then why bother? If you think it's worthwhile, then do it.
Most every log I've kept has been on paper. I've tried the computer logging, just too much trouble. And who says I wouldn't scramble the file anyway? Hey, I'm good at that!
A log is a record of a transmission. If you have a reason to make note of any particular conversation, for any reason at all, then do it.
- 'Doc

WB4CS

I keep a log of all contacts I make on HF. On VHF/UHF I don't keep any kind of formal log, but I may jot down in a notebook the name and callsign of someone that I've not talked to before.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Using a computer and HRD log, I note HF QSO's but not radio checks nor the regular rag chew with friends. I do log VHF/UHF satellite contacts as well, but never QSO's via a repeater. If I am portable, I will make paper logs, but I transfer them to the computer log once I am back home. From there it is pushed to several other online logs as a backup.

K7MEM

I still keep a paper log, but have started recently to use the log capabilities of HRD. But in either one of them I am not specific about which rig I am using, other than differentiating QRP from QRO.

Although not very useful, I still have my logs from 1965, when I first got my license. At the time most of my operation was 2 Meter AM (Heathkit Twoer). I had the standard log entries, but I also use a 3x5 file box to log all of my contacts. Because all the contacts were local (within 50 miles), I talked to many of the same hams regularly. I used the file cards to record all of the names/dates/rig data and any unique information. They were always surprised at how good my memory was. I still have the file box and cards.

jmp883

Like others here I keep a log of all my HF QSO's. The only VHF/UHF QSO's I log are when the bands are open or when I'm using Echolink.

I use both handwritten and computer-based logbooks.

WX2CIB

I have an access database that I created for all hf contacts. Various output reports can be easily assembled. Can also search callsigns for previous contacts. Nothing special - simple Microsoft Access application. Old habits die hard. As a Novice (many moons ago) I got in the habit of logging my activity and QSL status.

Could I get a copy of the Microsoft Access database you've create? I have tried to make different databases using it and can't seem to get the hang of it. I used a database for soldiers and enjoyed using it. It is much easier to filter different things.

Dave
KD2BMU

W2JMZ

I keep a log for everything from my base station and even have a mini log book for mobile. Portable however goes un-logged for the most part as I rarely operate that way anyway. I usually check into two different nightly nets in my area and even log those (for this I only log the NCS' call sign along with all the other pertinents)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC2OY

When I first got my ticket I used a notebook and logged every UHF/VHF QSO. Now I write my HF QSO's in the ARRL Logbook and upload to LOTW,Eqsl,Clublog,and QRZ.com. I also have a logger program and DX spotter software I record the Q's as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.