North Adams MA loses cell service

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Do people not have landline phones in North Adams? What about cable companies and DSL? Radio sites off line should not affect cable modems, DSL/ADSL or fiber.

I imagine the major wireless carriers (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile) will deploy temporary CoW's until a new structure can be built.

Until then, people can actually practice the old art of face to face communication and hopefully won't become comatose because they cannot update their precious Facebook status while sitting int traffic, or tweeting about the corn kernels in the toilet bowl.

Good God, I thought something really bad happened. Just imagine how life was like before people had a cellphone shoved in every orifice. How did we ever survive?

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
As I understand it, police and fire services are affected, as well as cellular. We need wake up calls like this once in a while so we're careful not to put all our eggs in one basket.

n5ims

According to Northeast Radio Watch (NERW 3/31/2014: Towers Down in the Berkshires), a 150 foot tower used by cellular companies, public service communication, and a couple of broadcast stations (one of which just put up their antennas a few days ago) collapsed. When it collapsed, it took out the guy wires for another nearby tower causing it to collapse as well.

Additional info and pics on their FB page https://www.facebook.com/NERadioWatch

cg

Premium Subscriber
As far as I read, nothing failed that needed amateur radio to cover. PD, FD, & EMS used the regional Comm truck from Pittsfield until the equipment was changed to a temporary antenna. Cell folks have COWs in service there.

chris

Status
Not open for further replies.