Jammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonvenusti

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I listen to some nets in my area and I never really check in. There is a guy who comes on and screams and curses over the repeater while net control trys to work the net. I am listening the W2NJR net right now and there is a guy stepping on every transmission stating " lick by b*lls. " I just wonder what the hell is wrong with these people... they wait all night for the net just to step on people and curse at them LOL... The guy sounds kind of retarded ... I mean he must be... life must get boring in your moms basement. I cant believe there is no way to track them down and do something about it... he has been on there since I started listening when I got my ticket a couple months ago and I assume for a lot longer than that !

Rred

"I got my ticket a couple months ago and "
And no one told you that ham radio was full of people with, ah, sometimes deficient social skills?

This is all normal, and illegal, but the FCC spends next to nothing on enforcement and the only real way to get him off the air is to find at least two hams with RDF equipment who are willing to spend a number of hours trying to get a fix on the guy (assuming he isn't mobile) and recording the sessions, so you can tell the FCC "This guy at 123 Main Street is jamming us, we tracked and confirmed him, we've recorded it."
They can then issue a formal notice and begin proceedings, when and if they get time to do so. But you'll get nothing until you can convince some guys to spend time and money doing the RDF work to track the jammer down,

that's why most repeater owners simply ignore the guys until they go away, which can take years.

jonvenusti

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
thats really a shame...so who is to stop you from talking on 10m fm with out a general license... it sounds like the fcc really doesn't care about anything

happystuff

Just terrible. Anonymity really does bring out the worst in some people :(

I really do wonder though, how the heck does that guy find what he is doing fun? Wouldn't it be in fact more fun to participate and chat?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This is all normal, and illegal, but the FCC spends next to nothing on enforcement and the only real way to get him off the air is to find at least two hams with RDF equipment who are willing to spend a number of hours trying to get a fix on the guy (assuming he isn't mobile) and recording the sessions, so you can tell the FCC "This guy at 123 Main Street is jamming us, we tracked and confirmed him, we've recorded it." They can then issue a formal notice and begin proceedings, when and if they get time to do so.
The FCC generally will not take enforcement action based on DF findings and recordings made by private individuals. However, if those private individuals supply sufficient evidence that a problem exists, the FCC may send their own field engineers out to investigate the problem. After those FCC staffers accumulate evidence for which they can establish a chain of custody, the FCC may issue a notice to the perpetrator. The point is that the FCC probably won't issue any kind of notice based solely on the word of private individuals. In order for the FCC to make a case that will stick should it go to an administrative law judge, they have to collect their own evidence.

The FCC is understaffed when it comes to enforcement. Interference to amateur radio VHF and UHF repeaters is pretty far down their list of priorities. If someone was interfering with air traffic control, public safety, a commercial broadcaster, or the amateur radio HF bands, they are much more likely to hear from the FCC about it than someone interfering on the VHF/UHF ham bands.

The one approach that the trustee of a amateur radio VHF/UHF repeater can take which the FCC will support is banning the offender from the repeater. If the trustee feels confident that they know who's interfering with the repeater, the trustee can send that individual a registered letter simply stating that the individual is not permitted to use the repeater as provided by 97.205(e) of the FCC rules (the second sentence of that paragraph give a trustee the permission to limit who uses the repeater). If the trustee provides the FCC with evidence that the offender is ignoring such a ban, the FCC will take action.

ecps92

It takes time, lots of documentation and a dedicated team to track (Fox Hunt) down there ID-10-T's However it does work, it just takes time. Ignore them, don't comment on them and they get bored, but at the same time, usually there is someone near-by recording the input to the repeater, with notes of the location, vehicles (if mobile) coming/going with Antenna's, what the Building looks like, any Antenna's, FCC licenses etc

Many Clubs/Repeaters have a QRM Policy similar to:

xyz Clumb QRM Policy

XYZ members and all other operators are strongly encouraged to report repeater
activity that does not abide by Part 97 rules or accepted amateur radio practice to the
board of directors at contact@xyz.org or via other means.

The most effective way (and probably the only effective way) to deal with an individual
causing QRM is to NOT engage that individual on the air. Please include the time
and date of any incident. Measures are being taken to make audio recordings of
repeater activity.

SCPD

QRT
As frustrating as they may be, the best way to get rid of jammers is to ignore them. Make them think the finals in the radio are not working. Carry on the net or the conversation like they are not out there.

Coming back to them, chewing them out, saying things on the air about them, gives them a chubby, and will never get rid of them. By acknowledging they are out there, you've given them satisfaction.

Hopefully what you have is somebody with a stolen handheld, and the batteries will be dead soon.

namhcor

I listen to some nets in my area and I never really check in. There is a guy who comes on and screams and curses over the repeater while net control trys to work the net. I am listening the W2NJR net right now and there is a guy stepping on every transmission stating " lick by b*lls. " I just wonder what the hell is wrong with these people... they wait all night for the net just to step on people and curse at them LOL... The guy sounds kind of retarded ... I mean he must be... life must get boring in your moms basement. I cant believe there is no way to track them down and do something about it... he has been on there since I started listening when I got my ticket a couple months ago and I assume for a lot longer than that !

The same thing is happening further north in NJ on the 146.955 MHz KF2J repeater in Alpine. There are two, possibly three regular jammers on there. I have followed the instructions on the FCC Amateur Radio Enforcement page supplying them with recordings and leads of who maybe jamming months ago and not even a reply. Unfortunately, there are some LID's on the machine that react to the jammers making the situation worse and the club trustees are doing nothing. It's a sad situation.

Rred

"it sounds like the fcc really doesn't care about anything"
Oh, they care. But they are a government agency and they care about 1) Their budget and 2) Mandates. So when it comes to "civilian" "free" radio services?
One of the stated purposes of amateur radio, and a reason for complying with the Morse Code requirement, was to "ensure a pool of trained radio operators" for military draft. Often swept under the rug, that was one reason for tolerating pesky hams, so Uncle could draft some morse operators in the next war, which was expected to be an atomic one with the USSR.
Move past that and the question is, well, "Go away boy, you bother me" as WC Fields used to say. The FCC doesn't have the time or budget to care if some ham is bugging some other ham who can't figure out a way to experiment, improvise, and overcome while ragchewing on his drive home every evening. (To put it bluntly.)

You want them to step in? OK, first you have to do the heavy lifting. That's part of what ham radio is about, the hams are supposed to keep their own house in order, and actually DO everything they can (like their own RDF) before bothering the FCC. That's what you get with a cheap license. ("Free").

Personally, I'm less than amazed at the many folks who will ***** ***** ***** about jamming (and I'm not talking about anyone here) but they can't find any time or money to bother DOING something about it. Like DF'ing, or even innocently calling the suspected party, to see if the jamming stops while the phone call is in progress.

So build or buy some foxhunting gear, get in a car, and start drawing lines on a map. Who knows, you might be able to pin one down, but until you've done that....

Enforcement Bureau Scalebacks

Not sure if many of you have heard about the brewing scalebacks in the FCC's Enforcement Bureau. They include reduction in force, closing brick and mortar field offices, and centralizing enforcement to what they've termed a "tiger team" which can mobilize within 72 hours. But this is not without Congressional pushing back. We'll see what happens. I've attached a link for those who want to read more on it.

The New York Office does not appear to be on their closure list, but count on the remaining FTEs to be busier.

I've dealt with the jamming issue before. This is a psychological issue where the jammer gets a rush and self-gratification. Tread lightly, as you can do all you'd like in DFing (and you will find quite a few with surprisingly little effort), but actually engaging the jammer is a completely different story and you can get hurt (physically, legally, and financially). The only thing that effectively stops a jammer is to take that rush (your reactions) away from them.

MissionCritical Communications, Radio Resource International, and Public Safety Report - wireless voice and data communications for mobile, remote and public safety operations

Rred

ARRL has written about the coming changes at the FCC, and the FCC seems to think that because resources will be able to be used more effectively, enforcement will actually improve. ARRL oh so diplomatically suggests we wait and give them a fair chance to see if this will be so.

I suppose the politically incorrect answer is that we need people who live near the homes of CongressCritters, to jam the hell out of the home radios and cable TV's of the CongressCritters.

Who will then complain to the FCC, and pay more attention when they are told "Yeah, but you see, our budget for that was taken away."

Or maybe we could just convince the existing jammers THAT would be more fun, and get them to relocate?

Token

Ham radio is a cross section of the society its populace comes from. It includes the same extremes in personality and dysfunctional or anti-social behavior. The VAST majority of hams make some attempt to be a community and follow the general intent of the rules, if not the letter. A small minority causing ripples becomes very noticeable.

It is kind of like the net, but without the profit motive.

T!

KC0KM

We often have the same problem here on our repeater, and other repeaters here in the Kansas City area. A few weeks ago we had someone who also was interrupting and causing harmful interference during two nets. Both operators skillfully ignored him, and even though it did not particularly discourage him, because he did keep on continuing to disrupt (he even went as far to praise one of the net controllers for ignoring him). We came up with a few "code" words to alert others if is on, and when to be quiet when he is being tracked. Happily he has not been heard for awhile now. There have been others in the area who also have done this as well, for the most part, if you ignore them, they have their power taken away. They often want you to engage, so they can cause more problems and decent. Whether the FCC reacts or not, the best thing is for us to simply ignore these trouble makers, and move on.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Where I live we have a nut here that goes around and calls every one that uses 2 meters a two meter monkey because we enjoy talking on two meters go figure I guess these people are all most every where the best thing to do is just don't pay any mind to them ..............

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Install an auxiliary receiver on a different frequency and have authorized net participants use it when the jammer is on.

Technoguy58

I know a local repeater owner that finally had enough of a local jammer. He RDF the culprit and went and visited him. He had a handheld dead key at the time. Needless to say, the handheld went on to its final reward. Now, I'm not recommending this. Just telling what one owner I know did.

C

CharlesWhitman

I know a local repeater owner that finally had enough of a local jammer. He RDF the culprit and went and visited him. He had a handheld dead key at the time. Needless to say, the handheld went on to its final reward. Now, I'm not recommending this. Just telling what one owner I know did.

The repeater owner is lucky he wasn't shot

Status
Not open for further replies.