California-Nevada wide area coverage repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in very wide area coverage repeaters in 2 meters, 1.25 meters and 70 cm. Coverage like when the WIN system was on Frazier Peak and it had such an awesome footprint that it caused a problem of those in southern Orange County all the way from Kern/Ventura county line; where the repeater on Otay on the same frequency was being beat out by the Frazier box. I would like people inputs of the repeaters they have used that have a great footprint in the California and Nevada areas. This forum is an excellent place to learn even for a long time radio guy like me. Thank you for any input!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Here's a list of wide area systems, not complete by any means...

Condor (220)
EARS (220)
Alert (440)
BARN (440)
PAPA (mixed)
CMRA (mixed)
SCRN (440)
WIN (mixed)
CARLA (mostly 440)
CalNet (440)
WALA (mixed)
NC9RS (900)

I haven't listed any of the "private" systems. They wouldn't want to be listed here. There are many more smaller regional systems that don't really qualify as "wide area". There are some notable systems missing because there's little point in listing them here.

Last edited:

prcguy

The WIN system is a great technical achievement and will probably cover the areas in question, but its getting way out of hand and becoming a nuisance in some areas. When I key up a WIN system repeater in my area, no less than 5 other repeaters that cover the same area light up and maybe more. This means there are at least 5 repeater pairs that are consumed by the same system in the same area where repeater pairs are otherwise impossible to get.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard some guys come on their local repeater for some chit-chat only to find that repeater was just gobbled up by the WIN system and now their local chit-chat is being broadcast all over the world and their favorite repeater is no longer a local machine.

There are also some WIN system repeaters that are not coordinated and shoe horned into areas with no authorization, like being on US or CA Forrest Service land and not paying any Forrest Service fees.

WIN system, great idea, great coverage but on the verge of becoming a great problem.
prcguy

I am interested in very wide area coverage repeaters in 2 meters, 1.25 meters and 70 cm. Coverage like when the WIN system was on Frazier Peak and it had such an awesome footprint that it caused a problem of those in southern Orange County all the way from Kern/Ventura county line; where the repeater on Otay on the same frequency was being beat out by the Frazier box. I would like people inputs of the repeaters they have used that have a great footprint in the California and Nevada areas. This forum is an excellent place to learn even for a long time radio guy like me. Thank you for any input!

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Are you talking about wide area linked systems (like those listed above), or a single repeater with vast coverage? For vast coverage, there are many mountaintops in the state with amazing coverage.

For wide area linked systems, it's pretty hard to beat CalDMR. But it's not analog.

prcguy

The WIN system is about 80 repeaters linked via Internet, not sure about the others.
prcguy

Are you talking about wide area linked systems (like those listed above), or a single repeater with vast coverage? For vast coverage, there are many mountaintops in the state with amazing coverage.

For wide area linked systems, it's pretty hard to beat CalDMR. But it's not analog.

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
Was out in the California area a few years ago when my brother was still in the Air Force stationed at Edwards AFB and had a listen on 70 cm to to find some repeaters to chat on while i was there, found out that almost all of the really good wide coverage machines are closed private, there are a few that are open, but those are few & far between. Good luck finding one out there. N9NRA

Aero125

Here's a list of wide area systems, not complete by any means...

Condor (220)
EARS (220)
Alert (440)
BARN (440)
PAPA (mixed)
CMRA (mixed)
SCRN (440)
WIN (mixed)
CARLA (mostly 440)
CalNet (440)
WALA (mixed)
NC9RS (900)

What is BARN? A bunch of linked farm repeaters? Maybe meant DARN System..?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
...found out that almost all of the really good wide coverage machines are closed private...

This is absolutely correct.

...there are a few that are open, but those are few & far between. Good luck finding one out there.

I think I listed them all. Even those are closed, requiring you to join the sponsoring club, but membership is generally open to all. Not so with all the private systems.

wb6sub

Premium Subscriber
as usual this site is awesome for people to share their inputs!!! Thank you so much all. Why I am interested is I like to have a radio with repeaters with awesome footprints that cover vast distances not necessary to be a system but great coverage like the one on Keller Peak that covers into San Diego County all the way up into Inyo and Kern. Thank you again for any input

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Why I am interested is I like to have a radio with repeaters with awesome footprints that cover vast distances not necessary to be a system but great coverage like the one on Keller Peak...

There aren't many sites in Southern California that have that kind of coverage on their own. Check out TASMA's list of coordinated repeaters, and see what sites are listed that might be useful. Keller Peak is a pretty spectacular site, coverage-wise. So is Heaps Peak. There's a two meter repeater at the Tram on San Jacinto that talks a long way. Onyx Peak talks into Arizona and Nevada, but has pretty skimpy coverage to the west. Catalina Island is host to a couple of repeaters that talk from San Diego to Santa Barbara.

There are a few more out there. You mentioned Frazier, that has tremendous coverage. Blueridge is another, but mostly covers the desert. Look at the Tasma list, learn where the sits are and what the coverage is, and go from there.

skooterdave

Premium Subscriber
Well hello there! Can a lazy guy raise a dead discussion?

I want to travel from Sacramento to Ogden Utah. I have 2m and 440 (200 channels) in my car and a MD380 DMR handi talkie which I will take along for the ride. Knowing my limited
equipment and geography, would anyone be willing to suggest a programing list?

Thank you for your kind responses.

Dave
N2TAX

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

uli2000

Premium Subscriber
Well hello there! Can a lazy guy raise a dead discussion?

I want to travel from Sacramento to Ogden Utah. I have 2m and 440 (200 channels) in my car and a MD380 DMR handi talkie which I will take along for the ride. Knowing my limited
equipment and geography, would anyone be willing to suggest a programing list?

Thank you for your kind responses.

Dave
N2TAX

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

SNARS (Sierra Nevada Amateur Radio Society) has a linked systems that goes from Truckee along 80 Thru Battle Mountain. They also have several DMR repeaters in the Reno Area. It's now also linked to the W7LKO Elko Amateur Radio Club repeaters that cover I80 from Battle Mountain Thru Wells, NV, almost to Wendover. Just out side of Wendover I can pick up the Utah VHF society 2m repeater on Farnsworth Peak (146.94-) just west of Salt Lake City. That will cover you into Ogden.

https://snars.org/repeaters/analog/
Repeater List for Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.