220 MHZ BAND

Status
Not open for further replies.

skynet888

Hello all

I operate on the 220 mhz. For a base radio I use the TYT TH-9000 220MHz Mobile radio.
My base antenna is an isopole. The ispole is awesome omnidirectional antenna.
I run RG -213U coax to the antenna.
For mobile I use another TYT TH-9000 220MHz radio with a hustler mag mount antenna.

Although the TYT TH-9000 220MHz radios are capable of 50 watt output I find 25 watts to be more than adequate for city wide coverage on simplex.

Anyone else out there using 220 mhz?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have a Kenwood TM-742 mobile with a 220 MHz module in it, two Alinco DR-235 mobiles, and a Kenwood TH-F6 which is a tri-band handheld with 220. There's a good 220 repeater in my area that is lightly used. A couple of guys also put up a 220 repeater a few miles from me that is also lightly used. Just not much activity on 220 around here.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Premium Subscriber
I'd love to get on 220, but there is zero activity in my area (as far as I know).

There also doesn't seem to be much equipment for it. I've only found a couple Chinese companies, and 1 Alinco.

skynet888

220 mhz

220 MHz is a great band.
I would recommend buying the TYT TH-9000 220 MHz radio. They are under $200 and work very well.
Around here not many on 220 either but makes it nice for private communications. :)

namhcor

220 MHz (1 1/4 meters) has become quite active in the NYC Metro area especially with the availability of the less expensive Chinese built radios. Although I have to tell you that the audio quality on those TYT radios are really bad.

Stupidfatkid

If you want to get on 220 cheap, check out the BaoFeng UV-82X handheld. It does 2 meters and 220. They're around $50. I'm not a big fan of BaoFeng but I have to admit for $50 I'm impressed with mine.

BaoFeng UV-82X

milkman21218

220 MHz (1 1/4 meters) has become quite active in the NYC Metro area especially with the availability of the less expensive Chinese built radios. Although I have to tell you that the audio quality on those TYT radios are really bad.

I have the TYT-9000 220Mhz. The radio is performs very well. I'm using a Tram 1494 4:5 db antenna. That I got on ebay new for $15 shipped. Radios sell for about $125 and up online. And I find the audio to be excellent. And like Skynet there's not much activity. But several of us use it for more private Qso's. Many of them use the Baofeng UV-82X HT's.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
220 is booming here in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area! New repeater a month ago, with great coverage! New one just south that is to be moved to a permanent location this month. Good coverage machines over in Ft. Worth, and one with very good coverage awaiting a TXCO tweak in Dallas.
I use the Alinco 235 here at the house...have an ancient, but still works GREAT Midland 13-513 at the lake house. Larsen mobile antenna on a 10inch pie plate on the patio at the place in town, and a homebrew 220 quarter wave groundplane at the lake. Picking up a new to me car this weekend, and first install will be another Alinco and quarter wave NMO antenna!

Stephen

Anyone using any Motorola 200MHZ equipment, I have seen a few HT Portables and CDMs on ebay lately. I also live in the DFW area and might consider the investment.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hey Stephen...I have looked long and hard at the CDM products for amateur 220 use. Apparently the modification is extensive...I would use one at the home QTH is a minute.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I actually misspoke! It's not hardward mods, but the software hacks and programming. As well the CDM's are hard set for narrowband, not the case with current 222 repeaters!
That said, ONE time I did see a CDM for sale on Ebay that claimed to be TOTALLY redone for ham use, wideband, programmable with readily available RSS and ready to go. Should have latched onto it.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I actually misspoke! It's not hardward mods, but the software hacks and programming. As well the CDM's are hard set for narrowband, not the case with current 222 repeaters!
That said, ONE time I did see a CDM for sale on Ebay that claimed to be TOTALLY redone for ham use, wideband, programmable with readily available RSS and ready to go. Should have latched onto it.
If memory serves correct, the CDM line is on the commercial series CPS. Anything 05.16_NA and older is selectable bandwidth. 05.17_NA and 05.18_NA are forced but can be selected with a wide band entitlement key. (I run a PM400 or two in my dd)

If the radio has been programmed with 17 or 18 you'll have to get a wide band key unless you can get it reinitialized under depot. Still fairly uncommon to see radios using a 17 or 18 codeplug though.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
If memory serves correct, the CDM line is on the commercial series CPS. Anything 05.16_NA and older is selectable bandwidth. 05.17_NA and 05.18_NA are forced but can be selected with a wide band entitlement key. (I run a PM400 or two in my dd)

If the radio has been programmed with 17 or 18 you'll have to get a wide band key unless you can get it reinitialized under depot. Still fairly uncommon to see radios using a 17 or 18 codeplug though.

CDM's = Professional Series!!!!

grem467

There must be another mod. My cdm1550 does 5khz deviation (25khz) from 217-260, 160 channels and programs with normal CPS. I picked it up from the guy on ebay. I also picked up an ht1250 from him with the same specs. Both work great.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I have one contact in my logs for 1.25 meters and that was probably for a VHF contest.

jhooten

First I cannot recommend the Jetstream JT220M. Mine no longer displays the frequency only the channel number down in the lower lower left corner. Hard to see while mobile and I have to keep a channel card to know where I am.

The TYT-9000 so far has been doing well.

I am also happy with the Alinco DJ-G29 220/900 dual band hand held. It also happens to be one of the few factory radios that covers the 900 band. Does well on both bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.