List of available calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Is there a way to search for unassigned ham calls? I am working on upgrading my call and I now live in a new area so it might be time to change my call.

I have tried searching QRZ and FCC on ones I might like but all those are gone. If there was a way to see a list of available calls I could possibly find one I might like.

Thanks!

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to search for unassigned ham calls? I am working on upgrading my call and I now live in a new area so it might be time to change my call.

I have tried searching QRZ and FCC on ones I might like but all those are gone. If there was a way to see a list of available calls I could possibly find one I might like.

Thanks!

Any help here?

AE7Q's Amateur Radio Database Query Tools

Mickel1138

Nerd Debonair
Database Admin
First of all, you don't have to change your callsign if you move to another are. When you become an extra, you get an A callsign, but you can't pick it. However you can opt to keep your current one.

If you want a vanity callsign, look here for available callsign: http://www.radioqth.net/vanity/available

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AC2OY

So if you now to upgrade to extra all the K,N,and W calls are taken? Ok that's why I suppose I got AC2OY. I thought about the vanity thing but you have to wait until it becomes available. What to you do with a existing log? Do you get credit for one call or all of the ones you possessed?

Voyager

In the sequential issuing system, they have been gone for years (2x1s and 1x2s).

But there are still 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns available under the vanity program. (callsigns that have expired or whose holders have)

I kinda like JIG. You've had it a while, so why change it now? I had the chance to change mine when the program first came out. I elected to keep mine as I had it for decades. My initials were available at the time in a 1x2, too.

K7MEM

You can have a wider choice of call signs if you also look at the 1x3s. They are just as good as good as the 2x1s and 1x2s.

I got my Extra before they dropped any of the code requirements. On the application that the VE submitted, there was a box that could be checked, so that you are assigned a call from the sequential call system. I chose not to change my call, at the time. The VE was rather surprised. But a little while later I realized that there was going to be a run on call signs, as soon as they dropped the code requirements and hams upgraded to Extra.

Back then there were lots of 2x1s and 1x2 call signs available but I liked K7MEM the best. The "MEM" are my initials. It's very easy to send on phone and CW. Since I have had it, I haven't had anyone get it wrong, on phone or CW.

N9JIG

Sheriff
In the sequential issuing system, they have been gone for years (2x1s and 1x2s).

But there are still 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns available under the vanity program. (callsigns that have expired or whose holders have)

I kinda like JIG. You've had it a while, so why change it now? I had the chance to change mine when the program first came out. I elected to keep mine as I had it for decades. My initials were available at the time in a 1x2, too.

I would only change if there was something cool that I liked, hence the search for what is available. Looking at the link sent by fxdscon it looks like there really isn't anything worth changing the call I have had since before the No-Code days. I live in a different call area now so that is another reason I could see changing if there was something good.

Question on vanity calls: Are you restricted to your actual call area anymore? If a 1x2 or 2x1 I liked was available in a different call area could I apply for it? I know I don't have to change if I move but could I get one from elsewhere?

K7MEM

Question on vanity calls: Are you restricted to your actual call area anymore? If a 1x2 or 2x1 I liked was available in a different call area could I apply for it? I know I don't have to change if I move but could I get one from elsewhere?

Yes, you can have a callsign from any call district you want. That's one reason why all of the 1x2 and 2x1 callsigns are gone. However, there are callsign prefixes that are restricted to certain geographic regions, like Alaska and Hawaii. So even though Alaska and Hawaii have lots of calls left, you can't have one unless you move to those areas, no matter what class license you have.

For details on the Vanity Call system, you might try Vanity Call Signs.

One that specifically answers your question might be http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=call_signs_3&id=amateur&page=3.

AC2OY

You can have a wider choice of call signs if you also look at the 1x3s. They are just as good as good as the 2x1s and 1x2s.

I got my Extra before they dropped any of the code requirements. On the application that the VE submitted, there was a box that could be checked, so that you are assigned a call from the sequential call system. I chose not to change my call, at the time. The VE was rather surprised. But a little while later I realized that there was going to be a run on call signs, as soon as they dropped the code requirements and hams upgraded to Extra.

Back then there were lots of 2x1s and 1x2 call signs available but I liked K7MEM the best. The "MEM" are my initials. It's very easy to send on phone and CW. Since I have had it, I haven't had anyone get it wrong, on phone or CW.

LOL I just figured it out....Your slim shady please stand up!!! Yeah that is a good call Marshall!!!

KC0KM

When I was working on my Extra, I started to look around for calls, because I was thinking about changing it. I pretty much gave up on a group A call (1x2, 2x1, and 2x2 with A). I looked at group B 2x2, and found this one -- KCØKM, and it was soon to be available. After passing Extra, I applied for this one, and also "researched" a few others, making sure that they where valid. When my father got his General (same night I made Extra) he later got applied to get his new call WØUVX -- which was his roommate's when he was in college (in 1958). He has know this for over 50 years, and it was also available. My best advice is look around, even it is the FCC database, just put it call in, and see what happens.

kc0kp

As K7MEM pointed out, weigh the CW component if you are considering a change. I was a technician with the call WA0WTG. When I got my advanced, I put in for the change for a 2X2 from the pool. It turns out my previous call was a bit shorter on CW than my present call with less letters. One of the locals had K0ETT and was the envy of all of us working 6 meter weak signal. One drawback is that in noise, these short calls can be misunderstood.
On the other hand, anyone in that was in the military kind of likes the idea of a 'KP" call sign.
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.