For those of you who want to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
the basics of electronics and/or become an amateur radio operator, should check this website out:

Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM - VHF/UHF Yagi Antenna Quick Designer

He is a member of RR, and many times have helped answer questions that others have posted.
His site covers; Resistors and the relevant Kirchhoff's Law, Ohm's law, etc,; capacitors, inductors, antennas, etc.
He has written the information in a very easy to learn style. If you want to become an amateur/ham radio operator, you'll do your self a big favor to visit the aforementioned site. Kudos to him and his work! I've been involved in electronics/electrical profession for every since 1950 (6 year old getting the chance to meet and become a friend to a tv/amateur radio operator/repairman.)
You will learn something at his site. Check it out and learn.

K7MEM

Thanks for the plug Roger (KC4RAF).

The page you linked to is probably the most popular. Everyone seems to want to design a Yagi antenna.

Just FYI, I have a update coming for that web site at Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM. That is where I am doing my testing. It's a big job so I don't know when I will be replacing the original site.

I had problems with the menu on the old web site. Every time I added a page, I had to edit every other page to add it in. My updated website doesn't have that problem. Do not expect everything to work on the update site because I am still working on many of the pages. Some of the pages are only there temporarily, for test purposes, and will be deleted.

Thanks again Roger.

Martin - K7MEM

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> Just FYI, I have a update coming for that web site at Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM. That is where I am doing my testing. It's a big job so I don't know when I will be replacing the original site. <snip>

Martin, the new website is looking good! If you don't mind and I'm sure you won't, I am going to add your website to my technical data page at:
Facts & Figures

Thanks for producing such a quality website!

73, Dave K4EET

MrGClips

Thanks for the plug Roger (KC4RAF).

The page you linked to is probably the most popular. Everyone seems to want to design a Yagi antenna.

Just FYI, I have a update coming for that web site at Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM. That is where I am doing my testing. It's a big job so I don't know when I will be replacing the original site.

I had problems with the menu on the old web site. Every time I added a page, I had to edit every other page to add it in. My updated website doesn't have that problem. Do not expect everything to work on the update site because I am still working on many of the pages. Some of the pages are only there temporarily, for test purposes, and will be deleted.

Thanks again Roger.

Martin - K7MEM

The content is valuable, but web design is definitely not your thing. This site, from top to bottom, is a mess! :(

KC4RAF

Mr.G, Martin said his site is in progress, so be a little

patient. I had no problems actually except for one page, (don't remember off hand which). Give him time and you'll find it to be a valuable site to learn electronics.
And yes, I found Martin's site by looking to design and build a Yagi. I've experimented years ago with the Yagi-Uda antennas and they are quite impressive for the little work required to build them!
An antenna similar to the Yagi is the log-periodic antenna, but is much more complex.
I'm glad that you didn't take offense to my posting your site Martin! I felt that it was very informative and should be posted where more members could read the information you worked hard to share.
I liked the way you explain parallel and series circuits in both resistive and capacitive circuits. Many people get them mixed up when starting out in electronics.
Thanks for a great site sir, and will be using info you have there!

K7MEM

When clicking on any of the main menu items at the left, the "404 Page Not Found" comes down. :(

Yes, that is true and is one of the issues the new site is addressing. On the old site, when you hover your mouse over the main menu items a menu should appear. Select one of the entries in the menu.

Martin - K7MEM

*** From the moderator: At this point, I'm going to delete or edit any further remarks about the design or function of the referenced web site. Web design is not the point of this thread or this forum. If you want to discuss web design, please consider the http://forums.radioreference.com/computer/ forum in the Tavern group of forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

dsalomon

Premium Subscriber
Another good way to learn basic electronics is to simply pick up a book on electronics basics. The book I used in my firrst electronics class in high school, "Basic Electronics" by Grob is still used today (albeit a newer edition) in many, many schools for electronics 101. Getting through this book (and really learning the material) will give you all the electronics theory you need for all the license levels. You'll still need to learn some radio electronics, as well as the rules and regs. When someone asks me the best way to learn, I usually point them to one of the many web-based e-learning sites. Yes, most of them are NOT free. However, most are very reasonably priced, and are designed to teach specific license classes. Some are better than others when including theory (i.e. some are meant to be used as memorization tools Vs real learning). My favorite is: hamtestonline.com. Is it extremely flexible, includes theory and has an algorithm that is very effective for presenting repetition based on your specific results (i.e. the more you miss certain types of questions, the more they are repeated and the more closely spaced the questions are repeated). I used this site to study for my general and extra exams and was able to learn the material in a very short time and passed the tests with a very high score on both. I recommend that you actually read their recommendations on how to most effectively study and use their materials. That information is actually worthwhile. Theirs is not a free site, but is, IMHO, very reasonable and you definitely get what you pay for. I looked at and tried quite a few of the online study resources and found this one to be the best, most flexible and most effective. They make a few recommendations worth mentioning

1. Take the test as soon as possible after completing your studying. the longer you wait, the more you will forget. Plan to complete your studying the day before you plan to take the tests. Don't

2. Don't dawdle. Plan for a specific amount of time every day and spend that time EVERY DAY. The longer you spread out the learning, the more of the earlier material you will forget. If you can commit 2 hours a day to studying (weekends included), you should be able to learn the material for a license class in about 2 weeks.

3. Don't get hung up on difficult math questions. Only 10% of the questions on the test have math (according to them).

My own p2 worth re: the math questions (and any other questions you may find particularly difficult): if you find you're getting hung up on them, memorize t he answers instead of learning. You've got the rest of your life to learn about ham radio. You CAN memorize the correct answers in just a few weeks if you dedicate the same 2 hours a day then take the test immediately after that 2 week period.

73 - David, AG4F

chrissim

**** From the moderator: Off-topic comments deleted.

Martin: thank you for making the information available. It's not something you had to do, but rather are doing as a resource to help the community.

Last edited by a moderator:

KE0GXN

Martins' site worked for me. All you have to do is not click on the actual category links, but instead like he states, let your mouse pointer hover on them, then click on the sub menus. Everything worked and I never got a "page not found." Like I said, you just have to avoid clicking on the actual category links, otherwise the site works fine, at least for me anyway.

Lots a great info!

Liked your story too Martin. I was born and raised across the river from you in Brooklyn, NY. I too ended up settling far from home, although it was after I enlisted in the AF and met a lady while stationed at McGuire AFB in NJ of all places...lol!

She was from the mid-west and so you know how that goes...many a man has ended up in foreign lands over a woman. :D

Very informative site, thanks!

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
How did you manage that? Pages suddenly regenerated themselves to work all by themselves? Links liked to dead-ends suddenly corrected their own URLs? Non-existing sites showed up out of the blue? Or a plain low-resolution design suddenly became a responsive website adjusting to any resolution based upon detection of the user's individual native display device from mobile to regular to HD to UHD without any proper coding? That is so cool! :D

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my side (checked it on 4 different devices and multiple browsers). And then I didn't even go into the true "design" aspect of it, which lacks ANY modern requirements in all levels!

I feel a great deal of pity that such a large and complex work gets thrown into an HTML junk-pile, just because the maker refuses to realize that website design is beyond his skills, and are not something one can just figure out, but needs the kind of extended training and knowledge that he himself invested into his own electronic-engineering field and the material he intends to present to others.

This kind of work deserves a better, MUCH better and true professional representation in the form of a well designed professional website. Too bad.

Ps: No offense meant, I only stated the obvious based on my own experience. Tested it again on 4 different devices and multiple browsers with the same results. Dead all the way: Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM - Web Page Central Test Area

I'm going to let the main moderator of this forum deal with the post reports, but for now just stop it.

Every link I try here...

Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM

works just fine.

I don't seem to recall people beating you up when you first joined and had tons of "rookie" questions.

Like I said, just stop it.

KC4RAF

Martin, on your site about Yagis;

I understand that the radius of the elements have an important part for designing the antenna; my question is:
If increasing the diameter, does it make it more broadbanded? I built a quarter wave a few months back, and experimenting with larger diameter elements, it appeared to make it cover a larger segment of the 2 meter band.
I was going to ask if there is a trade-off using larger diameter and answered my own question; Yes weight!
I'll be back with some more questions soon, (maybe too soon! lol)

edit:
I forgot to ask if you have used the 4NEC2 application for designing any of your antennas. I've only read a very small amount of info concerning that program. Just wondering if it is useful to the small time antenna experimenter. (just checked eHam and they have praise for it):
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5192
Thanks for being patient.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, you were asked once by a Moderator to stop the bickering.

No more.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Actually your guess is correct that I'm somewhat familiar in this topic...

Having read the entire thread, I was curious enough to go visit the website*. Oddly enough, every single link worked just fine for me. Not a single "404" error...
* http://k7mem.org/K7MEM_dot_COM/index.html

The site is now bookmarked for future reference. There is a ton of very useful information archived there! :)

However, I did note in the text on the opening page that the links are dynamic and require Javascript to be enabled...
Menus: The menus are dynamic and require Javascript to be enabled. Many of the pages contain calculations so Javascript needs to be enabled for them as well. The home page, which is where you currently are, shows the major menu categories. Clicking on a catagory will change the display to show the contents of the selected catagory. If you want to go back to view the major categories simply click on "Home".

MrGClips, do you have JavaScript enabled? If not that might account for your lack of success.

Last edited:

K7MEM

I understand that the radius of the elements have an important part for designing the antenna; my question is:
If increasing the diameter, does it make it more broadbanded? I built a quarter wave a few months back, and experimenting with larger diameter elements, it appeared to make it cover a larger segment of the 2 meter band.
I was going to ask if there is a trade-off using larger diameter and answered my own question; Yes weight!
I'll be back with some more questions soon, (maybe too soon! lol)

edit:
I forgot to ask if you have used the 4NEC2 application for designing any of your antennas. I've only read a very small amount of info concerning that program. Just wondering if it is useful to the small time antenna experimenter. (just checked eHam and they have praise for it):
4NEC2 freeware antenna modeller and optimizer Product Reviews
Thanks for being patient.

Roger,

Sorry for the delay, but I was out tending my horses and didn't see your question right away. Anything interesting happen while I was gone? Yea, I didn't think so. :roll:

Yes, antenna weight can be an issue, if you are using solid elements. At VHF and UHF most of your currents are going to be running on the surface of the elements, so there is really no good reason to use solid elements. If you use hollow tubing, the antenna can be very light weight.

As far as bandwidth, if you ask 10 people what their definition of bandwidth is, you will probably get 10 different answers. So you have to pick a reference point or your reasoning may not make any sense.

I tend to look at bandwidth as the frequency span where the SWR is less than 2:1. This is often near the value where auto tuners stop working and transmitters start backing off the power. Some like to use a lower value. I don't use an autotuner, so I can usually work with a higher SWR. But it shouldn't matter as long as everyone knows your reference point.

So, yes, element diameter does affect bandwidth. The bigger the diameter of the dipole elements, the wider the bandwidth. But don't expect the differences to be huge. Some time ago, I was curious about this myself so I assumed a Air Band Dipole and ran some simulations using various diameters from #14 AWG (1.6277mm) wire to 1.00" (25.4mm). The results were interesting and I documented it with a web page at:

Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM - Air Band Antenna Analysis

It's not a very long page, but at the bottom of the page is a graph and the buttons above the graph allow you to show the SWR and Gain for each of the diameters I tested. The dipole lengths were adjusted slightely for each diameter, as the diameter also affects the resonance. But you can clearly see that a
#14 AWG wire might give you a 2:1 SWR bandwidth of 11 MHz. But if you increase that to 1.00" diameter, the 2:1 SWR bandwidth increases to 22 MHz. That's a substantial increase in bandwidth, but it's also a substantial increase in element diameter. If you looked at it over a smaller increment, say 1/4", the change would not be as large.

Now that was just a simple dipole. A yagi might be a little bit different because there are other things to consider. With a yagi you might have a metallic boom and you have parasitic elements very close to the driven element. All of these affect the parameters of the antenna.

A general rule of thumb for yagis is, the bandwidth is about 7 pecent of the operating frequency. So a yagi for 2 meters should provide a 2:1 SWR bandwidth of 10 MHz. That should be more than enough to cover the 2 Meter band. But if your transmitter backs off the output at a lower SWR, you may not get as much coverage. But you also have to think about how much of the band you use. If your only working FM (Simpled and repeaters) you don't really need coverage below 146 MHz. However, if your doing SSB, CW, or Satalite work, it may be handy.

Also, yes, 4NEC2 is a good application. But it is more intended for analysis then design. I use a antenna simulator that I put together years ago. It's written in C and I run it under Cygwin. Under Cygwin I can build shell scripts that will do all the work for me. I use my simulator to collect the data for the previously mentioned web page.

I used the simulator to simulate multiple 2-element 10 Meter yagis. Half of the antennas had a single driven element and one reflector element. The other half had a single driven element and one director element. The results were very interesting

Overall, antennas are a very big subject. That is why so many hams spend huge amounts of time trying to understand them. It try to understand them to some extent, but I'm really just interested in making them work to my satisfaction. Then I can work on other aspects of radio.

Martin - K7MEM

KC4RAF

Thanks Martin for the information you posted!

The info pretty much confirmed my suspicion about diameter increment to bandwidth. And the thought of using solid verse tube is evident with the weight issue. Many years ago when I was studying electronics with the Philco-Ford Institute, we were informed of the skin effect becoming more pronounced at the higher frequencies; so to use solid was thrown out the window so to say.
That link you provided with the gain and bandwidth was really outstanding! I did some comparisons with your graph down at the bottom and saw that under some circumstances, go with a smaller diameter element. All depending on what you wanted and expected.
Yagi antennas are not for the weak of heart when it comes to figuring out length, diameter, spacing, etc. Lol
I guess that's why I like that antenna so much. One day I may get the nerve to experiment with the LPDA antennas, but for now the Yagis will do. (from my understanding, the LPDA is a more bandwidth flavored antenna, but much more involved in design and construction!)
When I saw 4NEC2 was being used by some designers I thought it might be a good app for toying around with some of the Yagis I've read about. Well have to read more about that app.
Thanks again sir for your informative post to my questions. I'm headed back to your site "Air Band Antenna Analysis" and do some experimenting with those gains vs. bandwidth buttons!
Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.