Where to buy Dacron rope ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD8NIV

Have been looking at this Dacron rope, and looks like there different brands of it.....is it all the same, or different ?.......have seen several different companies makes it...

Where do you guys buy your Dacron rope from ?..

DJ11DLN

I bought 5/16" Dacron rope at the local farm supply (Rural King) approximately 12 years ago to hang permanently on the side of a silo for pulling up tools etc. It's still quite viable after a dozen years in the weather and I don't recall it being terribly expensive. If you've got a good farm supply or hardware store nearby you might consider looking there first, at least you can see what you're buying before you commit. Just my 02c.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Most amateur radio dealers carry Dacron rope in various sizes. One brand name popular in the amateur radio world is "Phllystran" but it may be overkill for what you want to do.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
+1 on the "TOUGH-GRID" dacron rope listed on Amazon. I've used it for a year now at Field Day, Sep ARRL VHF Contest, Scout JOTA, and for two different OCFD antenna installations at my home QTH. Never had a lick of trouble with it.... super strong, and doing well in both high sunlight and freezing weather we get here in PA.

prcguy

Phillystran is Kevlar not Dacron and a little pricey for most amateur applications. Ebay probably has the best prices on black Dacron rope for antenna use. Here is one example: Antenna Support Rope Dacron Black 3 16" x 95 ft New | eBay
prcguy

Most amateur radio dealers carry Dacron rope in various sizes. One brand name popular in the amateur radio world is "Phllystran" but it may be overkill for what you want to do.

k6cpo

Marine or boat suppliers might be a good source for Dacron line and may be less expensive than buying it from a ham supplier.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't believe that the OP stated what he planned to do with this rope. Many times when a ham is looking for Dacron rope, their intent is to hold up the center insulator or ends of a wire antenna. For those purposes, I think that a large diameter rope is overkill. A decent quality 3/16" diameter Dacron rope should serve the purpose in most circumstances.

Of course, if the OP is planning to use the rope to hoist a large beam antenna to the top of his tower, a heavier rope might be warranted. But, we just don't know what he has in mind.

KD8NIV

Bought a roll of 3/16" Dacron rope off ebay, going to use it to hang a dipole with..
Moving my G5RV tomorrow, be nice if I received the rope by then...

KD8NIV

Guy on ebay is selling 3/16" on a 500' roll for 45 bucks shipped...name of place is the ham shop....ordered mine Thursday and got it Saturday..

Status
Not open for further replies.