Anybody a CW Ops Member Here? Want to help me learn code better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4EET

Chaplain
Since I have been seeing a few threads here about the desire to learn Morse Code or to better their "CW" code speed, I thought that I would start a (hopefully) informative thread on how best to do that, programs out there to help you learn Morse Code, etc.

There is a popular and prominant organization called CW Ops. To become a member, you must at least be proficient at CW in the 25 WPM range. There are other requirements specified here.

I am currently at the well-known "plateau" of 13 to 15 Words Per Minute (WPM). I am looking for others that are one of the following and would be willing to work with me to increase my code speed.

• Also at the plateau and need some partners to chat with to learn "head copy" code
  • Are already proficient at 25 WPM and above and want to help me increase my speed

If you are a CW Ops member already, I would also like to know that and arrange for an opportunity to meet you on the air. I am currently signed up for the Level 2 training class in the Fall semester with a possibility of getting into the Spring semester class if somebody drops out. If you are reading this and would like to be "tested" for admission into the Level 1 (at 10 WPM or less), Level 2 (at 11 to 15 WPM) or Level 3 (at 16 to 20 WPM) training class, the application and information can be found here.

Morse Code (or more often called CW) is not for everyone but if you do have an interest, I would highly recommend the CW Ops Training Classes. They use the Farnsworth method of teaching Morse Code. If you have any questions you can contact Rob, K6RB at k6rb@baymoon.com or Will, WJ9B at wlbaber@bellsouth.net as publically published on Page 2 of the CW Academy webpages.

Finally, one program that they recommend and one that I am currently using is called, "Just Learn Morse Code." IMHO, this is one of the best programs that I've used. Another popular program that uses the older Koch Method of learning Morse Code is "Morse Trainer."

73 es hlp me lrn gud cw, Dave K4EET

Last edited:

k9rzz

Not a member, not interested, but have you tried any contesting to help improve your speed? In contests, you pretty much know what's coming at you as far as the exchange (depends on the contest) and it's easy enough to ask for a fill. May be as quick as "599 IL" or kind of long as in ARRL Sweepstakes "256 B K9RZZ 76 WI" (number, power, call, first year licensed, section). I just found out that there is a weekly contest during Wednesday evenings now too.

Just a thought, I think that's how I built my speed up over the years. You don't have to be 'serious' about the contest, but just jump in and make some contacts. :)

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Like playing a musical instrument it is practice, practice, practice at faster and faster speeds. Your speed will pick up rapidly once you transition from dit's and dah's to pure sounds and then to words.
Good luck!

K7MEM

I am not a member, and don't really intend to be, but I did get my own code speed to 25+ WPM, when I was working on the 20 WPM test. It was a very simple method. I don't think it has a name.

IMHO, the key ingredient is understanding everything that is sent, not copying everything to paper. Mistakes are allowed.

I used a application called Morse Academy (MA). MA had the ability to create audio files an any speed you liked. These files were one side of a simulated QSO. Each one included call signs, names, RST, rig names. Basically, everything you would hear in a normal QSO. Each one had unique information and more content as the speed increases. So I created 10 files for each speed at 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, .. WPM. all the way to 27 WPM.

I started at the 11 WPM level and listened to the files for 15 minutes, two to three times a day. If I missed a session now an then, it didn't matter. To me, understanding the QSO meant copying the call sign, name, rig info, etc.. But not every last character. Only what was important. Once I was understanding 80-90 percent of the QSO, I would increase the speed by 2 WPM. You might think that 2 WPM isn't much, but initially it is like you were struck dumb. But after a few sessions, it starts playing well in your head and you are back up to understanding 80 - 90 percent.

I used this method for a few months. When I was copying at 25 WPM level, I went for the 20 WPM test. I took the Advanced and Extra written exams at the same VE session, but those didn't worry me. The 5 WPM buffer made a big difference. While all the other hams being tested were sweating over every character, I casually wrote down everything. On that test I received a 100% copy, 100% on all the questions, and walked out of that VE session an Extra. Sadly, the other hams testing didn't fair so well.

Granted, each person may need a different method to increase their own speed. But this one is easy to try for yourself. Morse Academy is a old DOS program, but it still can run under DOSBox (free app). I have tried it on Windows 7 and Windows 10 (partially).

Martin - K7MEM

K4EET

Chaplain
Not a member, not interested, but have you tried any contesting to help improve your speed? In contests, you pretty much know what's coming at you as far as the exchange (depends on the contest) and it's easy enough to ask for a fill. May be as quick as "599 IL" or kind of long as in ARRL Sweepstakes "256 B K9RZZ 76 WI" (number, power, call, first year licensed, section). I just found out that there is a weekly contest during Wednesday evenings now too.

Just a thought, I think that's how I built my speed up over the years. You don't have to be 'serious' about the contest, but just jump in and make some contacts. :)

Thanks John, yes, CW Ops has the Wednesday contests as well as others shown here.

As an aside, only because I'm finding a lot of hams are not aware of this, but when QRZ added a section to the ham's callsign as to how they will QSL, everything defaults to "No" indicating that you will not QSL a contact. Yours shows:

QSL by Mail? No (e.g. Will this ham QSL by Postal Mail?)
QSL by eQSL? No (e.g. Will this ham QSL with eQSL?)
Uses LOTW? No (e.g. Does this ham use ARRL's LOTW ?)

That may be true for you but just wanted to point that out for you and others reading this thread. QRZ should have left the responses empty until the ham answered the questions rather than defaulting all to "No"...

73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
Like playing a musical instrument it is practice, practice, practice at faster and faster speeds. Your speed will pick up rapidly once you transition from dit's and dah's to pure sounds and then to words.
Good luck!

Thanks Bill. I am working on hearing small words like es, hr, btu, etc. as well as head copying. I'm sure that I will eventually reach my goal. I've even set my microphones to the side in favor of doing 100% CW contacts this year...

73, Dave K4EET

K4EET

Chaplain
I am not a member, and don't really intend to be, but I did get my own code speed to 25+ WPM, when I was working on the 20 WPM test. It was a very simple method. I don't think it has a name.

IMHO, the key ingredient is understanding everything that is sent, not copying everything to paper. Mistakes are allowed.

I used a application called Morse Academy (MA). MA had the ability to create audio files an any speed you liked. These files were one side of a simulated QSO. Each one included call signs, names, RST, rig names. Basically, everything you would hear in a normal QSO. Each one had unique information and more content as the speed increases. So I created 10 files for each speed at 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, .. WPM. all the way to 27 WPM.

I started at the 11 WPM level and listened to the files for 15 minutes, two to three times a day. If I missed a session now an then, it didn't matter. To me, understanding the QSO meant copying the call sign, name, rig info, etc.. But not every last character. Only what was important. Once I was understanding 80-90 percent of the QSO, I would increase the speed by 2 WPM. You might think that 2 WPM isn't much, but initially it is like you were struck dumb. But after a few sessions, it starts playing well in your head and you are back up to understanding 80 - 90 percent.

I used this method for a few months. When I was copying at 25 WPM level, I went for the 20 WPM test. I took the Advanced and Extra written exams at the same VE session, but those didn't worry me. The 5 WPM buffer made a big difference. While all the other hams being tested were sweating over every character, I casually wrote down everything. On that test I received a 100% copy, 100% on all the questions, and walked out of that VE session an Extra. Sadly, the other hams testing didn't fair so well.

Granted, each person may need a different method to increase their own speed. But this one is easy to try for yourself. Morse Academy is a old DOS program, but it still can run under DOSBox (free app). I have tried it on Windows 7 and Windows 10 (partially).

Martin - K7MEM

Martin, thanks for the information. I am very interested in hearing how folks got their code speed up. Thanks for sharing!

73, Dave K4EET

k9rzz

Thanks John, yes, CW Ops has the Wednesday contests as well as others shown here.

As an aside, only because I'm finding a lot of hams are not aware of this, but when QRZ added a section to the ham's callsign as to how they will QSL, everything defaults to "No" indicating that you will not QSL a contact. Yours shows:

QSL by Mail? No (e.g. Will this ham QSL by Postal Mail?)
QSL by eQSL? No (e.g. Will this ham QSL with eQSL?)
Uses LOTW? No (e.g. Does this ham use ARRL's LOTW ?)

That may be true for you but just wanted to point that out for you and others reading this thread. QRZ should have left the responses empty until the ham answered the questions rather than defaulting all to "No"...

73, Dave K4EET

I QSL direct, but haven't made a QSO from home in 15 years. :) That may help explain that.

I listen a lot, can still copy 30 wpm in my head. 35 with practice. Sending has prob. slipped to 25, but that just needs practice.

Did a TON of HF before 2000, after that was HEAVY into 6m, 2m, and 432Mhz SSB/CW. 2 meter Aurora was my favorite. 100 watts into 19 elements. SWEET. THen just kinda drifted away from working guys. If you threw me into the CW tent at Field Day, you'd never know I've been inactive for so long.

Last edited:

K4EET

Chaplain
I QSL direct, but haven't made a QSO from home in 15 years. :) That may help explain that.

If you do QSL direct, you probably should log into QRZ and change that question to "Yes" instead of "No." If you do work somebody they will not send you a QSL card with the "No" answer...

I listen a lot, can still copy 30 wpm in my head. 35 with practice. Sending has prob. slipped to 25, but that just needs practice.

Did a TON of HF before 2000, after that was HEAVY into 6m, 2m, and 432Mhz SSB/CW. 2 meter Aurora was my favorite. 100 watts into 19 elements. SWEET. THen just kinda drifted away from working guys. If you threw me into the CW tent at Field Day, you'd never know I've been inactive for so long.

Awesome! I hope to achieve 30 to 35 WPM one day...

73, Dave K4EET

K3YGX

There are CW bulletins from W1AW that are sent at many different speeds.
Check for schedules or listen around 7045 on 40 meters.....

When I was a kid I had a friend who used to send faster than I could copy at first,
then he would speed up when he found I could copy what he was sending.
He used to be a shipboard operator who was around when spark gap was the
norm. He had me copying up to 50 WPM by the time I went into the Navy.

All you need to do is practice. Sending and receiving both, but there is nothing better
than your own QSO’s because the sender is talking to you....and you need to know what
he is saying....You don’t have to write everything down either....just the important stuff
like RST, QTH, and name....and other reference points like rig, wx and things you would
comment on.....the faster you go the less you need to write....I don’t type or print that fast and at higher speeds it is like speaking.

Call CQ a bit faster than you are comfortable with....you can always ask to QRS if it is
not working....CW has always been my favorite mode since 1967....

I used to listen to ship, weather, and AP broadcasts but they are now a part of history.
KFS and KPH were the ones I most listened to because I could detune the IF cans in a transistor radio and cause a heterodyne off a broadcast station and copy the code.

Good luck

K4EET

Chaplain
There are CW bulletins from W1AW that are sent at many different speeds.
Check for schedules or listen around 7045 on 40 meters.....

When I was a kid I had a friend who used to send faster than I could copy at first,
then he would speed up when he found I could copy what he was sending.
He used to be a shipboard operator who was around when spark gap was the
norm. He had me copying up to 50 WPM by the time I went into the Navy.

All you need to do is practice. Sending and receiving both, but there is nothing better
than your own QSO’s because the sender is talking to you....and you need to know what
he is saying....You don’t have to write everything down either....just the important stuff
like RST, QTH, and name....and other reference points like rig, wx and things you would
comment on.....the faster you go the less you need to write....I don’t type or print that fast and at higher speeds it is like speaking.

Call CQ a bit faster than you are comfortable with....you can always ask to QRS if it is
not working....CW has always been my favorite mode since 1967....

I used to listen to ship, weather, and AP broadcasts but they are now a part of history.
KFS and KPH were the ones I most listened to because I could detune the IF cans in a transistor radio and cause a heterodyne off a broadcast station and copy the code.

Good luck

Lew,

Thanks for the tips. I visited your QRZ page and see some nice bugs. I have all Vibroplex keys (Straight Key for SKN, Iambic Paddle, Single Lever Paddle which is what I use most and a bug). I like the bug but cannot send fast enough yet to be good with the bug. Thanks again and I hope to make 50 WPM like you. That would be the ultimate speed for me; just like talking.

73, Dave K4EET

K3YGX

Thanks, I just got #6 a couple of weeks ago -- on the table is a '66 chrome lightning bug, 2 champions
a '62 (military J36 with 2 weights on it so I can go slow) and a '63.....on the shelf are a 1926 Original and a 1945 "WW2 Deluxe Lightning Bug". No. 6 is a '65 Original Standard that I took completely apart and washed it down and cleaned off the contacts...it is a very nice key.....I put triangular paddles on them now, only the deluxe keys have red oval paddles...lots of fun, and I rotate and use them all

I tell my friends that Morse is the only language I can 'speak' with a mouth full of food and still be understood.

Lew

Dit dit

K4EET

Chaplain
Thanks, I just got #6 a couple of weeks ago -- on the table is a '66 chrome lightning bug, 2 champions
a '62 (military J36 with 2 weights on it so I can go slow) and a '63.....on the shelf are a 1926 Original and a 1945 "WW2 Deluxe Lightning Bug". No. 6 is a '65 Original Standard that I took completely apart and washed it down and cleaned off the contacts...it is a very nice key.....I put triangular paddles on them now, only the deluxe keys have red oval paddles...lots of fun, and I rotate and use them all

Simply awesome!

I tell my friends that Morse is the only language I can 'speak' with a mouth full of food and still be understood.

Lew

Dit dit

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dit dit

73, Dave K4EET

K7MEM

.....on the shelf are a 1926 Original and ...

The key on the shelf looks very similar to the one I have. About 20 years ago, or so, the XYL was hunting around a Antique Store and came across a key. The store didn't know anything about it, but then neither did the XYL. She just knew it had something to do with Amateur Radio, and I would probably like it, so she bought it for $70 or $80. As usual, the XYL was right.

What she found was a Vibroplex Blue Racer and the serial number dates it to 1916. That means it's 100 years old this year. It looks a little crusty but it is fully functional.

Martin - K7MEM

Attachments

• Bug_View_5.jpg
    Bug_View_5.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 92

K4EET

Chaplain
The key on the shelf looks very similar to the one I have. About 20 years ago, or so, the XYL was hunting around a Antique Store and came across a key. The store didn't know anything about it, but then neither did the XYL. She just knew it had something to do with Amateur Radio, and I would probably like it, so she bought it for $70 or $80. As usual, the XYL was right.

What she found was a Vibroplex Blue Racer and the serial number dates it to 1916. That means it's 100 years old this year. It looks a little crusty but it is fully functional.

Martin - K7MEM

Excellent! I need to start watching for an old bug to start a collection. I have the 100th Anniversary Edition from Vibroplex. Looks nice but of little antique value.

73, Dave K4EET

dit dit

Vibroplex_Bug.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.