Status
Not open for further replies.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
Loc: Independence Missouri

I need some one willing to work with a tech who wants to get his general
ticket. I do have learning issues, Mainly I am hands on learning. I have
Basic math I can add, subtract, multiply small number, divide small numbers.
I like to learn CW so that the art does not fade too fast. Thank You.

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Charles,

I'm in Maryland but am fully willing to be a distant Elmer if all else fails. There is always Skype and we can do CW over Skype too. Let me know if you'd wanna give it a try. Skype message link is in the upper right side of this post or you can simply PM me.

73, Dave Hamm, K4EET

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest you make a request for an Elmer on "Larry's List" (larryslist.info). I'm sure there would be someone from the Independence club who would be willing to help you. Larry's list is a mainly a metropolitan wide source of information on what is going on in the area. If you can't find anybody drop me an email and I will get you in touch with someone who can.

WA0CBW
ARRL Technical Coordinator - Kansas Section

chrissim

You absolutely do not have to know any type of mathematics for any of the tests. I realize it's a contentious subject, but rote memorization will get you through general and extra. Hamstudy.org is priceless for the process. Take a couple of weeks and study for an hour a day. Then, use the eham.com practice tests to see how you fare. It's all about repetition.

After you pass, you can then concentrate on learning whatever facet of amateur radio you're interested in.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
It's good to see a Ham that really wants to learn Ham and Radio Theory and not just Memorize A.B.C.D. that's not real Ham Radio,would you let a Doctor do surgery on you if you only knew that he took a test to become a doctor by just learning A.B.C.D. and then learning later how to be an doctor by learning later on doing surgery's on people or would you fly on a passenger plane knowing the pilot got his permit to fly by just taking a test and passing it by just memorizing A.B.C.D.........

K7MEM

It's good to see a Ham that really wants to learn Ham and Radio Theory and not just Memorize A.B.C.D. that's not real Ham Radio,would you let a Doctor do surgery on you if you only knew that he took a test to become a doctor by just learning A.B.C.D. and then learning later how to be an doctor by learning later on doing surgery's on people or would you fly on a passenger plane knowing the pilot got his permit to fly by just taking a test and passing it by just memorizing A.B.C.D.........

Comparing apples and oranges? While they are both round, they are nothing alike. Being a doctor or pilot requires so much more than is required of a radio amateur, they are not even in the same arena. It's more in the range of getting a drivers license. Except that with a drivers license, they allow you to drive a 5,000 pound lethal weapon, if you pass.

I don't advocate memorization. Maybe some people could memorize the entire question pool, but I certainly could not. However, the test is "multiple choice", and pretty easy to guess the answer, with a little bit of study. But I'm pretty sure that some amateurs, or would-be amateurs, that really don't understand many of the questions. So if they memorize some, so what? Remember, this is only a hobby and is not restricted to Engineers and Technicians.

Martin - K7MEM

chrissim

I don't see the correlation between two professions and a hobby. However, I do agree that understanding certain elements of amateur radio is beneficial, namely the elements that apply to one's interest. Many are hands on and like to get their feet wet by doing. You can learn all the theory from a text, but actually immersing yourself in it really makes a difference. In my opinion, the best means by which to learn about amateur radio is by doing it, not necessarily just reading about it. In fact, I would suggest that getting on the radio and making those first few DX contacts compels one to want to learn more.

In terms of "real ham radio," I have a transceiver, an amp, a few antennas and some other gadgets. They seem real enough.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, memorizing answers or comparisons to other professional pursuits both have nothing to do with this thread.

The OP clearly stated that he has learning issues and that he want some hands-on assistance with moving from Technician to General. If you can provide that kind of help or can direct the OP where he can get some hands-on training, please offer up your suggestions. Based on what the OP said, it seems that the on-line amateur radio study programs are not what he's looking for.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
Let me make things clear:
1. I do have a learning issues, I'm Slow learner when studding TEXT. Fast learning as hell
when I am HANDS ON.
2. I want to learn the rules so I do not get in trouble with the FCC
3. I want to learn the DO's and DON'Ts for My Safety.
4. I want to make my own radio parts and understand what I'm doing.
5. If I'm going to go some - thing like ham radio I want to do it right the first time.

This is why I post a help wanted Ad. Yes I can just study the text and repeat the answer, but if you ask me WHY "this does this". My answer will be I DON'T KNOW... I just copy the answer... what would that make me look like if YOU ask me why? and I sad "I cant tell you". I would look like a Stupid, Dumb, and another wannabe HAM'er. I don't want to be that person - So I asked For help. And i got some. but so far no one from my local area. 73

K7MEM

Let me make things clear:
1. I do have a learning issues, I'm Slow learner when studding TEXT. Fast learning as hell
when I am HANDS ON.
2. I want to learn the rules so I do not get in trouble with the FCC
3. I want to learn the DO's and DON'Ts for My Safety.
4. I want to make my own radio parts and understand what I'm doing.
5. If I'm going to go some - thing like ham radio I want to do it right the first time.

This is why I post a help wanted Ad. Yes I can just study the text and repeat the answer, but if you ask me WHY "this does this". My answer will be I DON'T KNOW... I just copy the answer... what would that make me look like if YOU ask me why? and I sad "I cant tell you". I would look like a Stupid, Dumb, and another wannabe HAM'er. I don't want to be that person - So I asked For help. And i got some. but so far no one from my local area. 73

We may slip off the subject a little bit now an then, but we are all Elmers. Even the new guys. There isn't a single person on these discussion groups that know everything, so we tend to stick to thing we know. For example, I can't tell you much about the latest handy talky and operating on a 2 meter repeater. When I was on 2 meters, there wasn't any repeaters. Only hams running low powered AM rigs. But, I have been working the low bands, mostly CW, for over 50 years now. I certainly don't know everything about the low bands, but I have gained some knowledge over the years.

There are many hams that have learning issues. Sometimes its physical and sometimes its mental. I too find that there are many thing that make much more sense when you are working with it hands on. But, like yourself, they don't let that get in their way.

I wouldn't worry too much about the FCC. You have to get pretty bad and totally flaunt the rules and regulations in order to get their attention. An inadvertent out of band transmission once and a while doesn't amount to much. As long as you don't make a habit of it.

Most of the safety do's and don'ts are common sense. If you have ever fixed a light switch or outlet in your house, you know you don't do it with the power on.

When you talk about making your own radio parts, I think you mean things like add-ons. For example, you can buy a interface for running digital modes like PSK-31 and RTTY. It will cost anywhere between $80 and $200. But you can also build your own interface rather easily. A couple of transistors, resistors, capacitors, and some wire and your up an running. Of course, it might cost you much more than that $200 in time, but the knowledge gained is worth it. Then you just have to figure out how to select and configure the myriad of software programs that are available. But then everything you do is a learning experience.

If you ask three people what is the "right way" you will get three different answers. You just take it a piece at at time. Where you might start is on a web site like QRZ.com. On that web site, under Resources, is a selection "Amateur Radio Practice Exams". Once you create a free login account QRZ.com will keep track of your learning by following your practice exams. Because the FCC Question Pool is freely available to everyone, these exams use the actual questions that could be on your test at the VE session. You can take as many practice exams as you need.

Other sites, like EHam.com had similar practice tests that are just as good as QRZ.com.

As you take the on-line tests you will run into lots of things you don't understand. You can look a lot of it up on-line or you can come back here and ask. There is usually someone who is knowledgeable on a particular subject around all the time. Of course, the discussion may slip a little off track, but that's what we have W9BU for.

Martin - K7MEM

mgolden2

HamTestOnline.com is a good site for actually prepping for the tests

I would suggest you make a request for an Elmer on "Larry's List" (larryslist.info). I'm sure there would be someone from the Independence club who would be willing to help you. Larry's list is a mainly a metropolitan wide source of information on what is going on in the area. If you can't find anybody drop me an email and I will get you in touch with someone who can.

WA0CBW
ARRL Technical Coordinator - Kansas Section
Here is a link for Larry's List

http://www.larryslist.info/

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.