More repeater trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQWG712

We have that problem here in the Kansas City area. We have a "troll" who often comes on to the local repeaters. He often is cussing, causing other "problems", but for the most part he lets off in a long stream of curse words just for the "shock" value. He of course never ID's. He has been around for awhile, so during a club meeting, we where told simply not to engage. A few months ago he showed up on a local 440 repeater, and was causing problems there. Then a local message went out to all local hams "Do not engage" but to try and find him on reverse. We have still yet to find him, he now hits and runs, not giving anyone the chance to find him on the input. The best advise is the above "Do Not Feed The Trolls". Just ignore them, and do not engage.

we have a local troll that is worst of all!

A sick one. We have a troll everyone fears.... This troll is beyond sick! He has keyed up a repeater for 2 days straight with few rest room breaks and No sleep!

He finnally after 2 days without sleep cussed me out and said im lucky cause he was tired and went to sleep.
He returned to key up without sleep again. Hes off his meds and using radio that he somehow got his hands on.

We are told do not engage him because he will troll you forever without getting bored and taking breaks.
His finger never gets tired. People fear these trolls cause they do nothing but key up over and over tell you dont acknowledge them after 3 or 4 days they just leave and come back if you come back and talk.

It has scared people off the radio were they dont want to return.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
You see a lot of trolls now. Surprisingly on DMR as well. Even with IDs and the ability to block them it's just as easy for you to block them as it is for them to quickly on the fly change their Unit IDs. RAS keys help though I am not sure if that falls under " encryption prohibitions on Amatuer Radio" if you keep the key private.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, we generally frown on dredging up old threads...especially ones that are almost two years old. So, I've moved your posts to a new thread.

N0IU

Unless you have a "private"repeater where you give out the code only to those who are members of your club, then the solution seems pretty simple.... shut off the repeater!

Having access to an open repeater is a privilege, not a right. If someone is abusing that privilege, take that privilege away. Yes, this impacts the rest of the people who enjoy the repeater and respect the others who use it, but sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

If you shut down the repeater, the troll will go away. He (she?) is doing it strictly for the attention. Don't feed the troll!

K3YGX

There was a big problem years ago in San Francisco on repeaters, so a bunch of us went simplex.
They couldn't go to a repeater site or hill top and jam any of us.....also when they were near someone's QTH we had a UHF frequency (they didn't know) we would use at the same time. (I have 2 dual band rigs, a dual band antenna and a duplexer.) We had fixed stations and more power than an HT. The boneheads couldn't figure out why they couldn't jam us. I also could cross band repeat and operate with my mobile rig through the home station.

Now I live in an area where 2 meter activity is low and 70cm is almost unheard of...

SCPD

QRT
I am Laffing with you, N0IU, at the possibility of a female repeater troll...When was the last time anyone heard a YL go Ape on the air like that? :)
That aside, poor California- they have enuff problems out there (and that is said by a native born Californian) , and the ham repeaters are but a sprinkling of glitter on the cake.

** Just turn off the repeater !**, or use it to rebroadcast hours upon hours of the ARRL code practice transmissions------ and go, like so many of us have; to simplex in the meanwhile.
Hmmmmm?...have you thought of 33 cm's, 23 cm's? go to microwave-repeaters!-- it work fantastically, and the troll will have to shell out some big $$ for those new frequencies.

Good Luck Guys... just don't roll over and let the vermin get to you.
(where is the FCC, your local Fox-Hunters??.. in this,........... btw- we use the 12Ga. Troll Control out here)

...................................CF

Last edited:

TheSpaceMann

we have a local troll that is worst of all!

A sick one. We have a troll everyone fears.... This troll is beyond sick! He has keyed up a repeater for 2 days straight with few rest room breaks and No sleep!

He finnally after 2 days without sleep cussed me out and said im lucky cause he was tired and went to sleep.
He returned to key up without sleep again. Hes off his meds and using radio that he somehow got his hands on.

We are told do not engage him because he will troll you forever without getting bored and taking breaks.
His finger never gets tired. People fear these trolls cause they do nothing but key up over and over tell you dont acknowledge them after 3 or 4 days they just leave and come back if you come back and talk.

It has scared people off the radio were they dont want to return.
You think THAT'S bad?? You should hear the trolls, unlicensed operators, lunatics and CBers that are using THIS repeater!!! https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747/web

SCPD

QRT
--------- I listen'd to that audio stream.... those users are not exactly rocket scientists, but more like the typical mindless chat on any typical 2 mtr repeater ( btw-I didn't think much of the machine's '10-Roger' beep between transmission).....Everyone I heard on that stream was ID'ing with their callsigns.... was I missing something?

I would say; if you put up an open repeater that can cover hundreds of square miles, in an area saturated with potential users, mindless chat is the least to be expected. After a few minutes I found myself doing the same thing with my computer I would do if it where a radio-- tune it to something else ('off'- in this case) - and then reflected on how there is a whole lot more to this hobby, and life in general -than to get exercised over some boorish talk on a repeater. Heck, there is an owner and hopefully a control operator for that machine. They can turn the darn thing off, - no one is forced to listen to their gizmo. The owners seem to think its okay.

If the troll is really bad, then DF them, record their transmissions, and get the particulars on the jerk. Then go to the authorities and make your case. I have had to do this myself in the past- it DOES work wonders. You pay taxes for government services, this is one of them. If this is so important, then do your part, Cowboy (girl) Up! - don't quiver in some dark corner complaining.
(sorry, nothing personal-- I was railing against no one in particular- just the subject in general)

.................CF

Last edited:

n5ims

Our area has several of the trolls. They like to come out in droves during our SkyWarn nets (training nets at times and you can almost count on them during real bad-weather nets). They key up over users without talking. They play music. They spout foul language and derogatory comments. They send out APRS packets. They've even started using other digital modes. Anything to cause trouble.

Some groups have shifted to RACES nets in an attempt to provide protection under 97.407. Most have gotten members to monitor the input frequencies in an attempt to triangulate the source of their transmissions. A few of the repeaters have multiple remote receivers to improve handheld coverage and those groups often have folks monitoring the links and will shut down those remote receivers that are bringing in the troll users (some of the trolls like to park near the remote receiver sites to improve their chances of causing trouble). This also helps to locate the idiots as well.

TheSpaceMann

--------- I listen'd to that audio stream.... those users are not exactly rocket scientists, but more like the typical mindless chat on any typical 2 mtr repeater ( btw-I didn't think much of the machine's '10-Roger' beep between transmission).....Everyone I heard on that stream was ID'ing with their callsigns.... was I missing something?

I would say; if you put up an open repeater that can cover hundreds of square miles, in an area saturated with potential users, mindless chat is the least to be expected. After a few minutes I found myself doing the same thing with my computer I would do if it where a radio-- tune it to something else ('off'- in this case) - and then reflected on how there is a whole lot more to this hobby, and life in general -than to get exercised over some boorish talk on a repeater. Heck, there is an owner and hopefully a control operator for that machine. They can turn the darn thing off, - no one is forced to listen to their gizmo. The owners seem to think its okay.

If the troll is really bad, then DF them, record their transmissions, and get the particulars on the jerk. Then go to the authorities and make your case. I have had to do this myself in the past- it DOES work wonders. You pay taxes for government services, this is one of them. If this is so important, then do your part, Cowboy (girl) Up! - don't quiver in some dark corner complaining.
(sorry, nothing personal-- I was railing against no one in particular- just the subject in general)

.................CF
You need to listen to that repeater longer... at least for several days. There are times when almost no one is IDing with call signs, and the obscene language along with the racist comments are running rampant! You will often find people jamming and/or playing music on there for hours as well.

SCPD

QRT
"The Anode"-- I like that! ..... ;)
Hey Guys, I wasn't dumping on anyone, especially about having your repeaters jammed. But the "Anode" analogy is perfect-- it is like the street lamp drawing all the June bugs-- if you put one up, expect the problems, and by default, you will have the responsiblity to manage the mayhem that might result. Its too bad, but this is as old as the first repeater that went on the air.

I like to think of positive solutions- and as anyone who has been infested by Trolls knows, it takes 100 times more effort to stop the problem than it does the Troll to cause it. Ok, I know switching to 900 or 1200 mhz is a bold, major (and expensive) solution- but if your group is serious, then that is an alternative. Your group has Tech licensee's, maybe a 10 mtr. SSB net...what about 220 (opps- sorry- that should be 222- but, like me- how long will it take the trolls to figure that one out?) Anyone have a garage built repeater sitting unused?.. put it on that frequency in a vacant warehouse, wipe it clean of all ID -- finger prints etc---- make it the Sacrifical Repeater... then just walk away, hoping that its illegal operation and users will all get busted (yeah, sure Coyote)---- this last suggestion is Sarcasm, guys!!

If you don't want to go after the clowns one-on-one, then just turn off the machine, go to something else. The trolls will loose interest fast, and who knows, maybe by the time you turn it back on in 6 months or so, they will have all drifted off, OD'd, been incarcerated, beamed back to their mother ships-- whatever.

Again, good luck, but think to pro-active solutions, not just getting angry.

............................................CF

bill4long

"He has keyed up a repeater for 2 days straight"

And you could not DF him?

Unless he was driving around the whole two days he would have been easy to find. Within 15 minutes.

TheSpaceMann

"He has keyed up a repeater for 2 days straight"

And you could not DF him?

Unless he was driving around the whole two days he would have been easy to find. Within 15 minutes.
Wasn't there some guy a while back who hooked up a cheap HT to some solar cells, hid it close to a repeater site, and knocked out the repeater for days??

TheSpaceMann

The repeater didn't have a time out programmed? The repeater's trustee/owner couldn't shut it down remotely? :roll:
Made no difference! Whenever the timeouts ended, the HT's carrier would just key the repeater once again! It effectively shut down the repeater's operation.

mike_gain

Well like the ARRL says, ham radio is not for everyone. I only encourage tech minded folks to get a licence. After all it's amateur radio, not a cell phone replacement. The $30 Boafeng has done to amateur radio what the Uniden 142 mobile did to cb ssb in the early 80's. The Uniden 142 at $149 allowed an influx of cb am'ers to pollute the ssb portion with all that am slingo such as top shelf, wave a hand, triple Nickel, etc. Now I'm hearing better haaf instead of XYL, and even 10-4 on 2 m repeaters. Don't get me wrong, several old timers to ham radio who were probably never cbers seem to pop up on 20 and 40 cussin and a key'un. Please for the hobby's sake do not encourage anyone to get a licence unless they have a valid interest. A friend of mine got interested in radio from me and excelled well past me in his station and dedication. He no longer is active and may not have a radio anymore. He was not at all a trouble maker, just didn't have radio in his blood. Anyone remember WA4Dawg?

TheSpaceMann

Well like the ARRL says, ham radio is not for everyone. I only encourage tech minded folks to get a licence. After all it's amateur radio, not a cell phone replacement. The $30 Boafeng has done to amateur radio what the Uniden 142 mobile did to cb ssb in the early 80's. The Uniden 142 at $149 allowed an influx of cb am'ers to pollute the ssb portion with all that am slingo such as top shelf, wave a hand, triple Nickel, etc. Now I'm hearing better haaf instead of XYL, and even 10-4 on 2 m repeaters. Don't get me wrong, several old timers to ham radio who were probably never cbers seem to pop up on 20 and 40 cussin and a key'un. Please for the hobby's sake do not encourage anyone to get a licence unless they have a valid interest. A friend of mine got interested in radio from me and excelled well past me in his station and dedication. He no longer is active and may not have a radio anymore. He was not at all a trouble maker, just didn't have radio in his blood. Anyone remember WA4Dawg?
We just better hope than if Baofeng or some other Chinese manufacturer stars selling some really inexpensive 10 to 80 meter radios, we don't get a bunch of "freebanders" playing all over HF!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.