Kansas City Mentor Elmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrbowling2

I recently moved to the KC area (northland, near Gladstone). Am trying to get thru the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual for the Tech exam. But I want to actually *learn* when I am reading.

So looking for a Mentor (aka Elmer, right? - if Elmer is offensive I apologize, I'm a very newbie guy in his 40s to all this).

Post here or email me at wrbowling2@gmail.com. I am happy to pay for lessons, I can't find any local club via the arrl website where study sessions are available. That said, I'm sure the site isn't 100% up to the minute. I'd pay a local chapter too. I don't expect something for nothing.

My first objective is to use my license for storm spotting (not chasing), then into Dxing. I have a family friend in south-central Missouri with several atennae in an array at the stop of a large hill. My interest came as he and his wife traveled and then I moved with my family.

K4EET

Chaplain
<snip> Am trying to get thru the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual for the Tech exam. But I want to actually *learn* when I am reading.

That is great to hear. Some folks memorize answers and short-change themselves by not understanding the roots of the hobby.

So looking for a Mentor (aka Elmer, right? - if Elmer is offensive I apologize, I'm a very newbie guy in his 40s to all this).

"Elmer" is the correct word in ham radio. No offense whatsoever...

<snip> I am happy to pay for lessons, I can't find any local club via the arrl website where study sessions are available. That said, I'm sure the site isn't 100% up to the minute. I'd pay a local chapter too. I don't expect something for nothing.

Generally speaking, an Elmer is not going to charge you anything. Clubs included. I am "elmering" two individuals on RadioReference right now. If you cannot find anybody else, I'd be happy to elmer you on Skype.

My first objective is to use my license for storm spotting (not chasing), then into Dxing. I have a family friend in south-central Missouri with several atennae in an array at the stop of a large hill. My interest came as he and his wife traveled and then I moved with my family.

Sounds like a plan. SKYWARN is what you want to look into for storm spotting.

Let me know if you need an Elmer.

73, Dave K4EET

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
That is great to hear. Some folks memorize answers and short-change themselves by not understanding the roots of the hobby.

"Elmer" is the correct word in ham radio. No offense whatsoever...

Generally speaking, an Elmer is not going to charge you anything. Clubs included. I am "elmering" two individuals on RadioReference right now. If you cannot find anybody else, I'd be happy to elmer you on Skype.

Sounds like a plan. SKYWARN is what you want to look into for storm spotting.

Let me know if you need an Elmer.

73, Dave K4EET
Thanks Dave for stepping up to the plate......

KC0KM

The HamClass.org is Brian Short (K0BS) operation, his classes have helped nearly 1500 (1450 last count) to get their tickets. Most of the time the classes (up north) are at the NOAA office near the airport. Brian's class is highly recommended, as for other classes check Larry's list. Larry's list is the local email reflector, and he all sort of stuff on it. It is too late, at least today, as it was today (3/19) but there was a Ham 101 up in Smithville. Keep an eye out, because there will be more. Ararat will have their Hamfest 4/16. As for testing most test on the weekend, however the Raytown K0QG test on the 3rd Tues on the month at 7PM, if you want to test let me know and I will get you down, as I am one of the VE's. Also for experience, on May 7-8 WW1USA will be operating at Liberty Memorial, plenty of elmers there to help you get on the air (I also will be there).

Status
Not open for further replies.