General Class on Vanity Callsign

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this discussion exist long before. I've read some thread but it was way back 2012. Got a tech ticket but the FCC database still have no update on my callsign, the following week i took the general and passed the said test. Just want to ask about the callsign difference between Tech and Gen of what is the format of the callsign. also if i get my general ticket can i apply for a Vanity Callsign? Your response is greatly appreciated.

K7MEM

I know this discussion exist long before. I've read some thread but it was way back 2012. Got a tech ticket but the FCC database still have no update on my callsign, the following week i took the general and passed the said test. Just want to ask about the callsign difference between Tech and Gen of what is the format of the callsign. also if i get my general ticket can i apply for a Vanity Callsign? Your response is greatly appreciated.

It can take any where between 10 to 18 days for your new classification to show up. Just use your FRN and check once a day.

On the form that the VE submits, there is a check box for requesting a new sequential call sign. If you didn't check this box, your call sign will be the same from Tech to General.

You can apply for a Vanity call sign with any ham license. It's just that you are limited in your choice with General or Technician class licenses. General or Technician class licensees can seek a 1x3 call sign (beginning with prefix N, K or W), or 2x3 call sign (beginning with prefix letter K or W)

Good information on Vanity call signs can be had at Vanity Call Signs. Under "Choosing a Vanity Call Sign" is the details of what call sign you are eligible for.

But don't just apply for any call sign you can think of. First check with RadioQTH Amateur Radio Vanity License Search to see what call signs are available. However, do not apply until your current license has been through the system and is on the FCC data base.

Note: There use to be a fee for vanity call signs that was charged each time you renewed. However, that has changed and there is no longer a fee.

Martin - K7MEM

K7MEM

So i am from Texas, i will use 1x3 N5,K5,W5xxx or the 2x3 Kx5xxx for choosing a callsign?

Yes, that is essentially correct. It is all subject to the limitations detailed in the "Call Sign Choices Not Available" section at the ARRL site.

You could just wait until you pass the Extra exam and your choices will be greater, but 1x2 and 2x1 call are almost non-existent.

Texas is the "5" district, and it is nice to have your call sign indicate the correct district. But, it is no longer a requirement. You can have any number from "0" to "9". However, having a district number that is outside of your district can often confuse other hams.

1x3 call signs are nice and there are a lot of "5" district 1x3 call signs available. Then you can just keep it, when you test for Extra. I selected my 1x3 call sign before they changed the license testing (1999). At the time there were lots of 1x2 and 2x1 calls available. But I liked K7MEM best, so that was my first choice. Call signs don't have quite the same significance they use to have, so just choose an available call sign that you like.

Martin - K7MEM

Yes, that is essentially correct. It is all subject to the limitations detailed in the "Call Sign Choices Not Available" section at the ARRL site.

You could just wait until you pass the Extra exam and your choices will be greater, but 1x2 and 2x1 call are almost non-existent.

Texas is the "5" district, and it is nice to have your call sign indicate the correct district. But, it is no longer a requirement. You can have any number from "0" to "9". However, having a district number that is outside of your district can often confuse other hams.

1x3 call signs are nice and there are a lot of "5" district 1x3 call signs available. Then you can just keep it, when you test for Extra. I selected my 1x3 call sign before they changed the license testing (1999). At the time there were lots of 1x2 and 2x1 calls available. But I liked K7MEM best, so that was my first choice. Call signs don't have quite the same significance they use to have, so just choose an available call sign that you like.

Martin - K7MEM

Looking at the database, there are Expired and cancelled callsigns, and some are not in use. can i choose those callsigns? Another thing, if i can choose and submit from "0-9" and write down all available w"0-9", k"0-9" and n"0-9" with one uniform and fave suffix that i want, will that be be fine? Is there a fee for this request?

Last edited:

k6cpo

On the form that the VE submits, there is a check box for requesting a new sequential call sign. If you didn't check this box, your call sign will be the same from Tech to General.

Martin - K7MEM

Tech/General are the same format.

If that box is checked on an upgrade from Technician to General, the FCC will just ignore it. It's better to wait until the upgrade from General to Extra. Then, if that box is checked, you will receive a 2X2 call starting with the letter "A".

Martin - K7MEM

Got my Callsign for the tech .. The suffix is MDM :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

K7MEM

Got my Callsign for the tech .. The suffix is MDM :)

Sounds good. Use it in good health.

Sometimes, when call signs are close enough, you can get credited with contacts that you never made. There is another ham with the call sign W7MEM and I use to get requests from other hams that wanted me to confirm a 6 meter contact. While W7MEM is very active on 6 Meters, other than an old Heath Sixer, I have no 6 meter equipment.

It has been a while since I have received any mistaken requests, but it's probably not the end.

Martin - K7MEM

bkdraft

Chillicothe, Texas and Bella Vista, Arkansas
It took 17 days for my vanity call sign to be approved. Email came in at 1:30AM, was not expecting that time frame for sure. I have a General license so I had N, K, or W to choose from, wanted JEG on the end and only had 6 call signs to choose from, rest were already taken.

James K1JEG

K7MEM

It took 17 days for my vanity call sign to be approved. Email came in at 1:30AM, was not expecting that time frame for sure. I have a General license so I had N, K, or W to choose from, wanted JEG on the end and only had 6 call signs to choose from, rest were already taken.

James K1JEG

Yes, as time goes on, even the 1x3 calls are getting scooped up. It keeps getting harder and harder to find a call sign that you like.

The only trouble with the "1" is that everyone is going to think you are in the New England area. But just think what a problem it would be choosing a call sign, if you were limited to your call sign area.

Martin - K7MEM

Does it say AP if still not process? Coz my callsign in the database has AP on the side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.