Propagation modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikedp

Ok guys, I see realtime logs posted, and wondering how does one know what propagation mode brought his/her DX? Be it Central America, Europe, Australia etc., Is is E-skip, F2 or what?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Mikedp - these realtime logs you mentioned - are these on VHF and up?

The reason I ask is that HF and VHF propagation are quite different - while F2 is possible up through the FM band (it's not unheard of, on 2 meters and higher - ask any FM/TV DXer), there are different modes as you get much higher...Mike

AC2OY

Mike what I did was get a DX cluster which can be included in logging software. One that won't break the bank is N3FJP's program. His name is Scott and for a few bucks you can get a logging program which includes a DX cluster. Once you I put your location you can filter it to let's say North America,and you will see what bands are open and where. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or go on Scott's webpage.

Mikedp

Mikedp - these realtime logs you mentioned - are these on VHF and up?

The reason I ask is that HF and VHF propagation are quite different - while F2 is possible up through the FM band (it's not unheard of, on 2 meters and higher - ask any FM/TV DXer), there are different modes as you get much higher...Mike

You are correct! It is in the VHF and up section of DX Maps. QSO/SWL real time lists - NA - 21

I guess what really brought this to my attention, was when I was looking through different logging software,(don't remember which one) and one "field" you could put down the propagation mode. I have been DXing TV-FM for a few years, so I'm somewhat familar with tropo, E-skip, 2 hop Es and such, and the rare F2 catches(not that I was ever lucky enough to see that latter 2). So it just had me curious about HF frequencies.

Kb2Jpd

You are correct! It is in the VHF and up section of DX Maps. QSO/SWL real time lists - NA - 21

I guess what really brought this to my attention, was when I was looking through different logging software,(don't remember which one) and one "field" you could put down the propagation mode. I have been DXing TV-FM for a few years, so I'm somewhat familar with tropo, E-skip, 2 hop Es and such, and the rare F2 catches(not that I was ever lucky enough to see that latter 2). So it just had me curious about HF frequencies.

Aurora and some tropo effect the signal and you will hear it. Obviously it wouldn't be heard on a full quieting FM signal. But a weak FM signal you will hear some AM components alerting you that it is an unusual propagation.

N0IU

Mike what I did was get a DX cluster which can be included in logging software. One that won't break the bank is N3FJP's program. His name is Scott and for a few bucks you can get a logging program which includes a DX cluster. Once you I put your location you can filter it to let's say North America,and you will see what bands are open and where. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM or go on Scott's webpage.

You don't need to spend a dime to get access to one of the best DX clusters. Try out DX Summit: DXSummit.fi. You can set the filters to include or exclude by mode (CW, phone of digital) and band.

As far as "how do you know what propagation mode" was used, propagation is what it is. There isn't necessarily a "mode" that is discoverable for each contact and frankly, most amateurs don't know (or care!) how many hops their signal took to get to where it landed or which specific layer of the ionosphere it bounced off of to make the contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.